There are a number of positives for this hotel. These include:
• Location – centre of Valletta, but quiet. Within 5 mins walk of central bus terminus with cheap efficient transport to all parts of island – including airport (cost less than half a euro!!).
• Substantial room sizes
• Provision of free fridge and kettle (but no teaspoon or beverages)
• Free wifi
• Staff very friendly and normally efficient (but see below).
• Good food – although as this is a small hotel the choice is also a little limited.
On the other hand your holiday experience, as has been noted by other reviewers, is heavily dependant on the room allocated. Rooms on the first and second floor have been refurbished – however upper floor rooms appear not to have been.
The room, on the first floor, that I was originally allocated, was one that had been modernised, but had the following issues:
• Air-conditioning wasn’t working
• Opening window wasn’t a good idea as it opened into a well between buildings (see photo) with noise heat and fumes coming up from the kitchen
• Shower head was broken
• Curtains were almost off the rail.
I therefore complained about the air-conditioning on the first night of my stay. In anticipation of things being sorted during the day I was disappointed to find on my return the second night nothing had been done. The receptionist said that I should have raised my concerns with the manager who only worked in the morning, as he believed there was nothing wrong. After a second night of stifling heat I duly saw the manager in the morning who finally took action and moved me to another room.
This second room was fine – and I continued the rest of my stay happy.
A few other thoughts/observations;
1. The faults in the original room were obvious to the staff cleaning – so why wasn’t action previously taken (I saw the air-conditioning repair team busy on the final day of my stay).
2. As previously mentioned by another reviewer rooms safes are not attached to anything – therefore someone can walk off with the whole safe.
3. Only soap is supplied in the bathroom – you’ll need to take shampoo, shower cap etc if you want.
If I had been given originally the room I subsequently ended up in then I would have unhesitatingly have recommended this hotel. However given the very variable quality of rooms experienced by myself and others I would hesitate to recommend staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within Valletta's ancient fortifications, the Osborne Hotel is a 5-minute walk from St John’s Co-Cathedral. The rooftop swimming pool offers great views. All rooms at Hotel Osborne come with air conditioning and a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, tea/coffee making facilities and Wi-Fi access. A minibar is available on request. The Osborne Hotel features a cosy bar and a buffet restaurant. A rich buffet of local and international cuisine is available at lunch and dinner and vegetarian meals are available on request. The hotel is 20 metres from the National Museum of Fine Arts, and you can catch ferries to Sliema from the port, a 5-minute walk away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Osborne Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Osborne Hotel Valletta
- Osborne Hotel Malta/Valletta