“It's a gem!”
Review of Osborne Hotel

Osborne Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 7 July 2009

First of all, the staff at Osborne provide fantastic service. They moved me to the 5th floor on the second night, on request, as there's a much better view from there. (Someone recommended it on this website!) So I chose to move there from a 2nd floor room which is a superior room with tea kettle and fridge, but the one on the 5th floor has a stunning sea view, and a panoramic view of the city of Valletta. I would choose that anytime over a tea kettle! :)
The Osborne is also in a very good location - close to the bus terminal, and the main street, Republic street. You can walk to just about every attraction site in Valletta from there, at any time, as it's also very safe.
The hotel and its rooms are clean, the staff are courteous, and it was great to have the jacuzzi on the 6th floor. Just what I needed after a long hot summer day! Thanks to all the hotel staff for looking after me.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank syohan

Reviewed 14 June 2009

This hotel was as expected good value for money for the 6 days we were there. The staff were delightful and attentive. Our room was large and well fitted out with cupboards. The bathroom big enough to have a few in for a party, very clean and fluffy white towels. We used the fridge to store breakfast items so were very comfortable. Would suggest that tea,coffee & milk be included for the first day especially for late arrivals.Good location for the bus station & walking around the town of Valletta, grocery store just up the road. The food was basic but hot & plentiful. The lounge area is comfortable with bar, espresso machine & internet access. We could even open the window & feel part of local life, not like the large impersonal international hotels.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank englishrose53
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We have stayed 2 nights of our 7 night trip to Malta here. We arrived at around 11 am but our room was not ready yet. We knew this might be the case as check in starts at 2pm. so we left our baggage at the reception and went for a walk into the town, came back at 2 pm and room was ready. Spacious room, with large very clean bathroom welcomed us. There is also a small fridge in the room and air conditioning. Location is perfect, 10 mins walk from the main gate to the city where bus terminal is located. If you decide to eat in the hotel, i.e. take advantage of their lunch or dinner offer, dont do it. it is a rip off and crap food. the restaurant staff is unwelcoming. We had a full english breakfast included in our rate. I would rate the breakfast 2,5 on the scale 1-5 where 5 is best.
City of Valletta has a great history to it, we did not like the city much and next time if we came 1 day is more than enough for the whole city. We would use Osborne again because of its good rate and excellent location. We paid 80EUR/2 nights/ for 2 people.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2009

I chose the Osborne Hotel for three reasons: location, I wanted to stay in a converted building rather than a modern hotel and my half-board rate for four nights. It is located in the heart of Valletta, a few minutes walk from the bus station, the main shopping thoroughfare in Triq Ir-Repubblika and the Valletta to Sliema ferry.
The hotel is a converted Inn with many original features and an "English country pub" style bar/lounge and my twin room overlooked a stepped side street and a view of the iconic Carmelite Church. The room was spacious, with a new wood laminate floor and a large bathroom. There were plenty of towels, and sockets for my camera adaptors. My first impression wasn't great as the room hadn't been cleaned since the previous occupant but, once I'd spoken to Reception and returned two hours later from sightseeing, the room was spotlessly clean and continued to be for the duration of my stay.
The third reason I'd booked this hotel was the excellent rate: £111 for four nights half board. Both breakfast and evening meal were buffet-style. Breakfast was the general standard - cereals, hot food (bacon, sausages, eggs), fruit, yoghurt, meats, cheeses and rolls. The evening meal was a small selection of three starters, main courses (which always included fish) and desserts. It wasn't an extensive selection but there was always something I liked and, for the price I'd paid, I was happy.
What made my stay special was the level of service I received - the staff were pleasant and polite and everything from speedy check-in, checking buses for me, organising a day trip, changing my sterling and hastily arranging a taxi for the airport when my pre-arranged taxi failed to show, was done efficiently. One of the staff even offered to post my postcards on his way home from work.
The only slight downside to my stay were the Church bells which rang every fifteen minutes. Day and night! I see they have only been mentioned in a couple of previous reviews, so this may be a seasonal occurence rather than all the time. It's not really the Hotel's fault, but I mention it because, although not normally a light sleeper, I had problems sleeping until I bought earplugs.
I would stay here again, although I would bring ear plugs! The hotel facilities are basic but I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank debdancing
Reviewed 10 December 2008

The hotel is very conveniently located close to the bus terminal (5 minute walk) and to the main central street. Shared spaces are average for the category but the twin-bedded room was definitely below standards. However, all things considered, since the total cost for 3 nights for two was 105 euros, an effort can be made.. .with the purpose of saving some money. Not recommendable for a long stay. Breakfast completely lacks sweets / pastries, so I would not recommend it to Italians.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank MonicaItaly
Reviewed 8 November 2008

I agree with previous reviewer. Hotel is in good location, ideal for touring the island on very cheap local buses. However the hotel is not for spending any length of time in, it is basic and decor is very dated in most areas I saw.

Our room was very standard but clean and had a shower and bath. It did have a fab view of the harbour with a balcony, standing room only though.

This hotel is basic, not luxurious but gave us a cheap base to tour Malta.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Love_Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2008

There are a number of positives for this hotel. These include:

• Price
• Location – centre of Valletta, but quiet. Within 5 mins walk of central bus terminus with cheap efficient transport to all parts of island – including airport (cost less than half a euro!!).
• Substantial room sizes
• Provision of free fridge and kettle (but no teaspoon or beverages)
• Free wifi
• Staff very friendly and normally efficient (but see below).
• Good food – although as this is a small hotel the choice is also a little limited.

On the other hand your holiday experience, as has been noted by other reviewers, is heavily dependant on the room allocated. Rooms on the first and second floor have been refurbished – however upper floor rooms appear not to have been.

The room, on the first floor, that I was originally allocated, was one that had been modernised, but had the following issues:

• Air-conditioning wasn’t working
• Opening window wasn’t a good idea as it opened into a well between buildings (see photo) with noise heat and fumes coming up from the kitchen
• Shower head was broken
• Curtains were almost off the rail.

I therefore complained about the air-conditioning on the first night of my stay. In anticipation of things being sorted during the day I was disappointed to find on my return the second night nothing had been done. The receptionist said that I should have raised my concerns with the manager who only worked in the morning, as he believed there was nothing wrong. After a second night of stifling heat I duly saw the manager in the morning who finally took action and moved me to another room.

This second room was fine – and I continued the rest of my stay happy.

A few other thoughts/observations;

1. The faults in the original room were obvious to the staff cleaning – so why wasn’t action previously taken (I saw the air-conditioning repair team busy on the final day of my stay).
2. As previously mentioned by another reviewer rooms safes are not attached to anything – therefore someone can walk off with the whole safe.
3. Only soap is supplied in the bathroom – you’ll need to take shampoo, shower cap etc if you want.

If I had been given originally the room I subsequently ended up in then I would have unhesitatingly have recommended this hotel. However given the very variable quality of rooms experienced by myself and others I would hesitate to recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo