“The right choice”
Review of Osborne Hotel

Osborne Hotel
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 21 August 2009

Having booked through a booking agency ( Booking,com) and not been to Malta previously we were unsure what to expect. We were impressed not only with our room which had tea making facilities, a fridge and small balcony( only a few rooms have these), but also with what appears to be a comfortable and professionally run hotel. The location was also excellent, within the city walls but also convenient for the bus station and the ferry to Sliema.
Although there have been negative comments about the food we found it to be very good. .

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fairhead1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed 30 July 2009

I always like to stay in an old building with some character and the Osborne fits the bill, the position is fantastic, minutes walk from the bus station & many restaurants close by. I was expecting something pretty basic from reviews that I'd read on Trip Advisor so was very taken back when I arrived as the hall is very attractive. My room was not good the curtain lining was ripped in several places & hanging off the rail but otherwise it was clean & quiet. The buffet breakfast was ghastly. fried eggs swimming in grease, bacon, sausages. What I liked was the fact that there was such a mixture of nationalities which is quite unusual. Valletta is wonderful, a little bit run down in places but that doesn't bother me. Malta is wonderful & everywhere is easy to get to on the gorgeous buses. I was there for 8 days & could have had longer as there's so much to see. If you wish to visit the Hypogeum you MUST book in advance, it's one of the awe inpiring places I've ever seen ( I'm not using that lightly) I would stay at the Osborne again because of it's position but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank curryking
Reviewed 7 July 2009

First of all, the staff at Osborne provide fantastic service. They moved me to the 5th floor on the second night, on request, as there's a much better view from there. (Someone recommended it on this website!) So I chose to move there from a 2nd floor room which is a superior room with tea kettle and fridge, but the one on the 5th floor has a stunning sea view, and a panoramic view of the city of Valletta. I would choose that anytime over a tea kettle! :)
The Osborne is also in a very good location - close to the bus terminal, and the main street, Republic street. You can walk to just about every attraction site in Valletta from there, at any time, as it's also very safe.
The hotel and its rooms are clean, the staff are courteous, and it was great to have the jacuzzi on the 6th floor. Just what I needed after a long hot summer day! Thanks to all the hotel staff for looking after me.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank syohan
Reviewed 14 June 2009

This hotel was as expected good value for money for the 6 days we were there. The staff were delightful and attentive. Our room was large and well fitted out with cupboards. The bathroom big enough to have a few in for a party, very clean and fluffy white towels. We used the fridge to store breakfast items so were very comfortable. Would suggest that tea,coffee & milk be included for the first day especially for late arrivals.Good location for the bus station & walking around the town of Valletta, grocery store just up the road. The food was basic but hot & plentiful. The lounge area is comfortable with bar, espresso machine & internet access. We could even open the window & feel part of local life, not like the large impersonal international hotels.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank englishrose53
Reviewed 11 June 2009

We have stayed 2 nights of our 7 night trip to Malta here. We arrived at around 11 am but our room was not ready yet. We knew this might be the case as check in starts at 2pm. so we left our baggage at the reception and went for a walk into the town, came back at 2 pm and room was ready. Spacious room, with large very clean bathroom welcomed us. There is also a small fridge in the room and air conditioning. Location is perfect, 10 mins walk from the main gate to the city where bus terminal is located. If you decide to eat in the hotel, i.e. take advantage of their lunch or dinner offer, dont do it. it is a rip off and crap food. the restaurant staff is unwelcoming. We had a full english breakfast included in our rate. I would rate the breakfast 2,5 on the scale 1-5 where 5 is best.
City of Valletta has a great history to it, we did not like the city much and next time if we came 1 day is more than enough for the whole city. We would use Osborne again because of its good rate and excellent location. We paid 80EUR/2 nights/ for 2 people.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2009

I chose the Osborne Hotel for three reasons: location, I wanted to stay in a converted building rather than a modern hotel and my half-board rate for four nights. It is located in the heart of Valletta, a few minutes walk from the bus station, the main shopping thoroughfare in Triq Ir-Repubblika and the Valletta to Sliema ferry.
The hotel is a converted Inn with many original features and an "English country pub" style bar/lounge and my twin room overlooked a stepped side street and a view of the iconic Carmelite Church. The room was spacious, with a new wood laminate floor and a large bathroom. There were plenty of towels, and sockets for my camera adaptors. My first impression wasn't great as the room hadn't been cleaned since the previous occupant but, once I'd spoken to Reception and returned two hours later from sightseeing, the room was spotlessly clean and continued to be for the duration of my stay.
The third reason I'd booked this hotel was the excellent rate: £111 for four nights half board. Both breakfast and evening meal were buffet-style. Breakfast was the general standard - cereals, hot food (bacon, sausages, eggs), fruit, yoghurt, meats, cheeses and rolls. The evening meal was a small selection of three starters, main courses (which always included fish) and desserts. It wasn't an extensive selection but there was always something I liked and, for the price I'd paid, I was happy.
What made my stay special was the level of service I received - the staff were pleasant and polite and everything from speedy check-in, checking buses for me, organising a day trip, changing my sterling and hastily arranging a taxi for the airport when my pre-arranged taxi failed to show, was done efficiently. One of the staff even offered to post my postcards on his way home from work.
The only slight downside to my stay were the Church bells which rang every fifteen minutes. Day and night! I see they have only been mentioned in a couple of previous reviews, so this may be a seasonal occurence rather than all the time. It's not really the Hotel's fault, but I mention it because, although not normally a light sleeper, I had problems sleeping until I bought earplugs.
I would stay here again, although I would bring ear plugs! The hotel facilities are basic but I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank debdancing
Reviewed 10 December 2008

The hotel is very conveniently located close to the bus terminal (5 minute walk) and to the main central street. Shared spaces are average for the category but the twin-bedded room was definitely below standards. However, all things considered, since the total cost for 3 nights for two was 105 euros, an effort can be made.. .with the purpose of saving some money. Not recommendable for a long stay. Breakfast completely lacks sweets / pastries, so I would not recommend it to Italians.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MonicaItaly