Osborne Hotel
The Cumberland(Valletta)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
1,146 results
All reviewsthe busrooftop poolsmall poolsouth streetexcellent locationcentral hotelair conbuffet stylequiet streetsliema ferrymain shoppingreception staffthree starhalf boardsmall hoteltea and coffeedouble bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 August 2010

What an excellant stay, perfect location for everything... buses, taxis, walking, boats..
The staff were so friendly and kind.. rooms well decorated and clean.
Choice of food was great.
Malta is a fabulous island, so much to see and do... this hotel was perfectly located... we will be returning.. again and again......

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Stayed 5 nights at the Osborne, primarily to go to the Rod Stewart concert - but that's another story! Hotel is right in the midst of central Valletta, 5 minutes from the bus station, from where you can get a bus to anywhere on the island, and 15 minutes from both Grand Harbour, where the cruise ships come in, and the ferry stop to Sliema, from where you can get a variety of cruises. Plenty of shops, cafes and bars, and two beautiful parks - one of which held the Delicata wine festival, with as much wine to taste as you wanted, once you'd bought the souvenir 10 euro glass. Free entertainment on each night of the festival, and a great night had. Worth going when the festival is on. The hotel is 17th century, and newly refurbed. Very clean, my roon was small, but perfectly fine. I booked half board, but noted returning guests who had stayed half board before came back room only, or B and B! Food was adequate, just not all of it was what I was used to. Usually the meat served was delicious, you just didn't get proper veg with it. The sweets were lovely - the trifle looked odd, but it was no surprise to see people coming back for more. Tiny pool on the roof and nice sun deck, all very clean, and no one bothered if you wanted to sunbathe with your own brought in wine or beer. Will stay here again. Valletta is great, so much to see, buses to take you anywhere at a few cents a trip. But would say someone not able to walk up steep inclines may struggle - Valletta was lots of very steep streets. Can't wait to return to this very friendly place - the staff were so friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Strongly reccomend.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank pensionerbarbara
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Excellent location. Very close to the main sights in central Valletta but as South Street itself is not very busy, it's easy to get a decent night's sleep. Room was clean with all the essentials. Bathroom a little small and television needed tuning. However, the staff were polite and helpful. Small building but as a base to explore Valletta, it's fine. I recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank CJKelly
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Having seen the website and pictures on it, my husband and I were SO excited to be staying at the Osborne - that is, until we got there. The male receptionist was uninterested, unhelpful, abrupt and rude. Not welcoming in any way shape or form. Then there was the room - small, out-dated, grubby bathroom. Only two of the staff were friendly, one of the waiters in the dining room/bar and one of the security men. The rest were completely indifferent. Beware also, DO NOT ask for a service wash unless you want to be royally ripped off - I asked at reception if they did a laundry service and was told to speak to the maid who cleaned our room. I went and found her and asked her for a service wash - she could not give me a price or much info as her English was very poor. I gave her the washing and thought no more of it. When we checked out I asked for our bill which should have been only soft drinks from the bar and was astonished when I was asked for what seemed like a really high amount. I queried it and asked for the breakdown and to my horror the service wash (it was one wash load and was given back to us damp!) was 64 euros!!!!!!! The location of the Osborne is great, to be able to leave your hotel room and stroll down to the heart of Valletta, especially at feast times, is priceless but the hotel is not particularly comfortable or clean and the staff are unfriendly. Malta needs to gets it act together, there are many holiday destinations in Europe that are even prettier than Malta where one can spend considerably less for a holiday. Depends how much you particularly like Malta itself.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank swiftbel
Reviewed 12 May 2010

I booked a superior single room and was disappointed with my allocation as it was rather small and on the inside of the hotel with a view of a brick wall. However, the location of the hotel is excellent , breakfast very nice and the staff very helpful and friendly. The receptionist went out of his way to help me with trips etc. I would recoemend this hotel for a good base in Valetta but bare in mind Valetta is empty in the evenings.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo