“Fort Sankt Angelo and Grand Habour to your feets.”
Review of British Hotel

British Hotel
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Marsalforn, Malta
“Fort Sankt Angelo and Grand Habour to your feets.”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The British Hotel.
Perfect situatad nice staff God value for Money . 7 days Jan .2008 in this Hotel make my fall in love to Malta/ Gozo .Now i live on Gozo (to the end of my live ) More nice and natural people,its hard to find thamwere .

Room Tip: On the front to the harbour its ultimatet
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jens H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed In the British Hotel for one week in April.

I was part of a large group of 20 year old university students, all eager to complete field work and get lost in Valletta's stupendous history. The room that we were given I think was 115, the room was basic but meticulously clean and boasted a balcony which overlooked the outstanding grand harbour. The location of the hotel was fantastic (although everything was uphill) Valletta's centre was only a 5minute walk away. Whilst we were staying a near by town was celebrating the festival of the strawberry, we joined in on the festivities around 10/11pm and had fantastic nights around the pubs/bars.

Valletta itself although wrapped in a blanket of precious history did seem a little deteriorated. The restaurants were poor, serving cheap tasteless food beside the main tourist attractions. My advice would be to look of the beaten track and I found a little place called the cave which was delightful.

St. Julian's was also only a 20minute taxi ride away and was perfect for those looking to party until 6am.

As part of our fieldwork we were assigned a smaller town to study. My town was Zurrieq which is one of the oldest towns with in Malta. I cannot express how much I enjoyed my visit to the town, it was much smaller than Valletta, full of Culture and had a warm sense of community. The locals advised me to visit the Blue Lagoon which was a 5-10 minute bus ride away and was breathtaking.

I would highly recommend this hotel as it is in a perfect location, the staff are also wonderful even though they work long shifts. I would like to particularly thank Gorg who was more than happy to answer any of my questions and was a delightful little man who made everyone's stay memorable.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bernadette M
UK
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Our second visit to this Hotel on our way back to the UK from Gozo. Once again a superb balcony view and a comfortable room which simply confirmed our experience from last year. It is a Hotel with character and quirkiness - if you want super luxury go elsewhere - if you want a great location and value this is the one to go for. Shall visit again.

Room Tip: The big balcony - 105
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Drammen, Norway
Reviewed 2 September 2013

By tall means, this is a two start hotel, so go somewhere else if you want luxury. The hotel has a really nice views over the harbour. Great location, only 5 min walk to Republic street (main street). Also walking distance to severeal museums (War museum, St. John's Co-Cathedral etc). The staff was very friendly.

What would have been great, was a refrigerator at the room, and a bit less expensive air condition (7 Euro pr day).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
North East England
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I should start off by saying I found this a difficult hotel to rate. Staff, location, value for what it is are excellent. Of it's type it is an excellent hotel, if you want luxury and pealed grapes go somewhere else. It is an excellent example of a moderately priced family run hotel, but it is still an average hotel if you look at it as purely somewhere to sleep. Don't, leave it for those who appreciate its location and view.

One of the strangest hotels I have ever stayed in, and I mean that in a good way. A combination of centuries old architecture and 70's formica. Made up of a number of town houses into a wonderful mix-match of stairs and corridors. A bit like the Pulitzer in Amsterdam, albeit on a much smaller scale.

The staff make up for any shortcomings. If you want hot and cold running waitresses, there are better hotels, but none better situated or staffed with friendlier people.

I suppose it's a bit tired and could do with a makeover, but I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Valletta. For anyone who has not been to Malta before, I would suggest b and b and eat out in a different place each night. This is not being critical of the food, I would say the same for every hotel on your first visit to the island

I am quite serious in the title, if I win the lottery I will make the owner an offer he can't refuse. Renovate it to a hotel based on the age of the buildings and convert the two family rooms with the huge shared balcony into my personal accommodation when on the island. Well, we can all dream.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the family rooms with the huge balcony over looking Grand Harbour. For those of you f...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank DGSC
Treviso
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This Hotel has loads of Character and has a maze kind of quality with stairs going up and down and round and round. There is also a tiny lift that sometimes has a mind of it own. The staff are excellent and the hotel is exactly what you should expect from 3 old buildings joined together. It is in a great location and I would recommend everyone stay here at least once. I liked it well enough that I have been there more than once, but please don't expect the Hilton, rather enjoy the experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Pitesti, Romania
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Excellent! The view is wonderful, the location is central, but quiet, very close to all the bus station, clean. The personnel is very very friendly and helpful and the chef is one of the best. I had a very pleasant nice stay there and i recommend it, the price is very good and for sure i will return!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business