British Hotel
Casa Ellul(Valletta)
US$365
US$355
Orbitz.com
All reviewsgrand harbourbasic hotelsmall liftrooms overlookingthe busvictoria gateshort staychurch bellsfantastic viewsview from the balconyair conditioningsteep hillold stylemaltacharacterrenovationships
Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is extremely old. I like that. The views that can be garnished from the restaurant, the lounge, and if you're lucky, your balcony are fantastic. That is the best part of this hotel. Not to say that the rest is awful, but there are some detractors. The elevator only went to the 2nd floor, and my room was on the sixth floor so had to walk up 4 flights of stairs after getting to the 2nd floor every time I wanted to get to my room! Four flights of stairs with my heavy luggage was a struggle. Went down to go out for a bit of exploring but forgot my Euros, great now I have to climb up four flights of stairs to get it! YAAAAYYY!! If they had informed me of this, I would have requested a room on a lower floor, but sadly they did not.

Pros:
-Located right by the waterfront you get a majestic view of the Grand Harbour and can even see massive cruise ships passing through
-Old Old Old hotel, and it seems to have seen alot of history
-Cleaners are very friendly and clean your room regularly
-Excellent wifi in the lounge area.
-Relatively close to Republik St for shopping and food

Cons:
-The elevator only went to the 2nd floor and walking up 4 flights is inconvenient
-The breakfast is very blah. Dried bread with sliced meat and canned fruit
-The service is not the best. Some attendants are great while others make you feel like you're bothering them when you ask for something.
-Price of beer, water, wine is more expensive than at closeby stores
-For what the hotel is, it was very expensive. I believe you're paying for the view.
-Some people may not like having all the stairs and uphill streets to get to Republik St.

Overall, this hotel was not a bad choice, but I found it expensive considering the basic level of accommodation it offers. The service could be better, as could the breakfast with the price you're paying. Did I mention the stairs? You're in a safe area, as Valetta is a safe city. That being said it's very boring after 6pm when most of the stores close. I had a few very boring nights wandering around the quiet streets. If you want somewhere exciting, stay in St. Julians or Paceville unless you want to take the 1hr+ bus ride from Valletta terminal.

Room Tip: Unless you're a fitness fanatic, book a room closer to ground level.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2013

i am an experienced world traveler of mature years, picky on hotels (but not overly so), who does much advance research on my travels, including the accommodations, and therefore is rarely really disappointed in them.
this is an odd kind of place. oddly run. everything is marked carefully as "extra cost", but if you know that going in, you can't complain of it. it is a jumble to find ones way aroound in, but not a problem, really. there is a lovely roof terrace but not a stick of furniture there to sit on (could it be extra as well?). they gave me a fan as i didn't opt for the "extra" a/c, and the noise of it cancelled out the noise of the baking yippie dog across the street, so that worked out. they called a cab for me for 6am and it did arrive - and pretty close to 6am. there is a restaurant which looked good with a balcony over the harbor but i ate in some fabulous place recommended by the tourist office people so i don't know for sure about this restaurant. on arrival, i had a room reservation, and they knew about it. i don't know - it is just a bit odd and i can see why some people don't like it. i was somehow annoyed too, but there really isn't any concrete realson for that. i just did. but the location is really good overlooking the harbor right in valletta. and valletta is fabulous. you must go there. i didn't have time for the rest of the island(s). read about the wwll german bombings and visit the war rooms. wonderful. i would actually stay in this british hotel again - so after all of the above blather, i do really recommend it.

Room Tip: get a room facing out over the harbour - quieter and an incredible view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FROOOM
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The British Hotel is old and pretty run down. Furnishings in my room is very worn out. The hotel has surely seen better days but poorly maintained. The staff is not too helpful. After checking in, one of the staff was asked to show me the way to my room, he just went half way and pointed me to the right direction. Wifi is only available in a certain area and not in the room. Breakfast is average. Service in the restaurant is poor, although that at the reception is OK. The only good point is its location. The balcony has a good view of the Grand Harbour and the hotel is within walking distance to the centre of Valletta

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rhino805
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I must admit that my initial impression of the hotel was quite positive: great location, friendly and helpful stuff and a rather nice room-all this has made a good impression for the most duration of my stay.
I got a tiny little room, the window was facing the inwards of the building, but it was clean, towels were changed every day, and I was overall satisfied with it.
Breakfast was very basic, but enough to be satisfied with as well, if not for one point. During breakfast one takes milk from a big container. When I looked once by chance inside of this container I saw plastic brick coolers immersed directly in the milk! Considering that the colored gel in these brick coolers is NOT something one wants to have in one's body (there coolers may leak even when sealed, I saw this many times, as I work with these things), I'd say it is a rather irresponsible and potentially HAZARDOUS way of keeping the milk cool.
And the last thing which eventually made my stay completely ruined was the one I put as a title: ladies staying in this hotel on their own, as I did this time-be wary that although the personnel in the hotel is friendly and professional for the most part, some older gentlemen among the staff might be a bit more friendly than you'd wish they would be. In my case, one of them'd engage me in a small talk every now and then, which was ok I thought, but then it ended up with a proposal which was impossible to misinterpret and which left me feeling very angry and violated. I was very relieved and happy to leave that hotel the next day, and I will never set my foot there ever again. Naturally, not everyone would be so unlucky to come across such an appalling behavior from the staff, as I mentioned everyone else there was nice and professional. But forewarned is forearmed, so choose yourselves whether you'd want to visit this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank tatkra76
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed there with a friend after I had knew that they have refurbished rooms.
Our room was quite nice, large; room and bathroom quite clean, and with a really nice view on Grand Harbour.
Disapointment was with the breakfast.
Welcoming was quite fine.
I will return there.