“Loved staying here!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of British Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
British Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Valletta
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved staying here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

When I return to Malta, I'm coming back here! I regret not leaving my review earlier as I stayed in June 2012 (date not available in drop down list).

The continental breakfast is nothing special but is perfectly satisfactory. I didn't go hungry, and enjoyed a cuppa and that's all I think one should expect of breakfast at a two-star hotel. I bought my first two dinners here as well: again, nothing special except the view, the attentive serving staff, and the reasonable price. When I arrived after a 30 hour journey from Melbourne, Australia, I fell asleep in my room and woke up too late to dine in that evening, but I asked if I might have a mug of tea and the staff member on duty was happy to oblige. Not that I would have cared much as I when I woke up, the view I had was just magical.

The door into my hotel room was narrow, like a closet's, but the room itself was not as small, and it was pleasant, comfortable and clean. The inclusion of a mainland Europe converter plug as a fixture was very welcome as I hadn't expected to need a UK converter plug. Also the room safe, though I can't recall if there was a fee for that.

The shower curtain fell down on second use, but it was quickly fixed, and was more of a source of amusement to me as when this occurred I could see an ocean liner going by! The design of the bathroom fortunately meant that the mishap didn't flood the bedroom.

I paid a little extra for a room with a view but it was well worth it, though harbour views and wifi are available in both the dining room, and the lounge one level above.

I should also mention the hotel manager went to some effort to try to rectify the situation when a tour company left me in the lurch (I had been waiting 40 minutes past the rendezvous time in Castille Square, with a dodgy contact number, and had gone back to the British Hotel to see if a message had been left or to see if I could reach Malta 247 some other way. The manager had taken a message from them the previous day, tried the number which had called to no avail, and tracked down a contact via his local knowledge. Unfortunately the party on the other end of the phone was quite unreasonable, but I was very impressed with the manager for the trouble he took.

Unfortunately I ended up at the back door when I arrived and was too tired to lug my suitcase around to the front. Fortunately, I found a bell, so someone came: apparently they only open that door in the evening when the restaurant opens.

The lift was fine when I was there, and the staff very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lauranth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portsmouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel is budget priced for a reason, and what a shame because with a little effort on the part of the owners it could be rated so much higher. The rooms are clean but basic in the extreme - hard uncomfortable beds and pillows in particular - and the breakfast was very limited. I am aware of the limitations of a continental breakfast, especially for the British traveller, but the food was unappetising and limited in choice, the coffee poor, juices powdered and the furnishings again basic. Given the splendid view from the dining room, with better quality food and furnishings, this could be a real feature of the hotel!

On the plus side - the one thing you cannot change about any hotel is it's location and with splendid views over the Grand Harbour and within 5 minutes (hard uphill) walk of the centre and bus terminal - this is a definite plus. If you are elderly or disabled the location and the internal layout of the hotel is not for you - many stairs, cramped lift, many changes in levels (often taking you by surprise), etc.

Not quite sure what the previous complaints about the lift were all about - stayed on 3rd floor and lift went there - also used it to get to the 6th floor roof terrace - it is, however, cramped to say the least!

Room Tip: Given that the best thing about this hotel is the view I suggest paying the supplement for a balcony...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PortsmouthDiz
davidmontebello, Owner at British Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thanks for your review. Like you said its a budget hotel so one has to consider that upgrading is easy but then the price will naturally increase. . I would like to point out that when I had soft mattresses and pillows , I had complaints that they were soft , so I guess you cannot please everyone on this. The breakfast is complimentary with the rate and again coffee and juices are debatable since some might like it strong or weak....The coffes is ground coffee which is slowly cooked in a perculator and the juice machine is standard in many countries and I have also experienced in 3 and 4 hotels let alone in 2 start hotels.
With regards to furnishings on the public areas this is being done and should be ready by this year. One last thing the lift was changed about 2 yrs ago and can take up to four adults , so I think if there are two people and luggage it should not be a problem. However like you said the view and location are unbeatable and I am sure make up for the little discomforts . Then again I agree there is always room for improvement in any hotel and welcome your comments

Travellers are raving about these Valletta hotels

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located in the historical center of Valetta, just some minutes to get all you need. The building is old and it's written in all the observations of the hotel - so I wonder why lots of authors wrote about it as it's a disadvantage. We went there to get some special feelings and luckily were given them.

Room is quite big and simple. Wonderful view of Grand Harbor. One day a cruise liner was saluted by battery - that was great!

Stuff is very friendly and ready to help.

Breakfast is the same and very primitive every day: cheese, ham, bread, flakes, chemical juice, coffee and tea. Canned fruit.

Old towels and bed linen.

Free wi-fi is available only on the first floor, but it's ok to check e-mail or even to talk to a friend by Skype.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Bragasya
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Don't waste your money. A total rip off!
You pay for the view (if you get a room with a view that is!)
The rest is appalling: extremely old and outdated hotel.

*water is dodgy
*you have to climb up 4 lots of stair as the lift only go to the second floor and by the time you get there you are out of breath
* the breakfast is disgraceful - tinned fruit, dry bread, plasticky cheese...etc
* had dinner once and could not finish it, was so disgusting
* most of the staff is not very helpful and seems bothered every time you ask something (a bunch of lazies)
Good location is the only + but DOES NOT COMPENSATE in any way for the rest.
Total disapointment - better hotels around!
Trust me, you DO NOT WANT TO STAY THERE. Was booked for 15 days, stayed 10 days could not cope any more and booked an earlier flight!!

Room Tip: Read trip advisor! I made the mistake not to!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Irrelevant2014
I am not going to bother arguing about the review and not because I m lazy as quoted ...but I rather leave it to other persons who stayed here to judge for themselves. The only thing I will mention is that if the complaints were all so real and bad...why did you stay for ten days ...you could have left much earlier ...I rest my case
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is extremely old. I like that. The views that can be garnished from the restaurant, the lounge, and if you're lucky, your balcony are fantastic. That is the best part of this hotel. Not to say that the rest is awful, but there are some detractors. The elevator only went to the 2nd floor, and my room was on the sixth floor so had to walk up 4 flights of stairs after getting to the 2nd floor every time I wanted to get to my room! Four flights of stairs with my heavy luggage was a struggle. Went down to go out for a bit of exploring but forgot my Euros, great now I have to climb up four flights of stairs to get it! YAAAAYYY!! If they had informed me of this, I would have requested a room on a lower floor, but sadly they did not.

Pros:
-Located right by the waterfront you get a majestic view of the Grand Harbour and can even see massive cruise ships passing through
-Old Old Old hotel, and it seems to have seen alot of history
-Cleaners are very friendly and clean your room regularly
-Excellent wifi in the lounge area.
-Relatively close to Republik St for shopping and food

Cons:
-The elevator only went to the 2nd floor and walking up 4 flights is inconvenient
-The breakfast is very blah. Dried bread with sliced meat and canned fruit
-The service is not the best. Some attendants are great while others make you feel like you're bothering them when you ask for something.
-Price of beer, water, wine is more expensive than at closeby stores
-For what the hotel is, it was very expensive. I believe you're paying for the view.
-Some people may not like having all the stairs and uphill streets to get to Republik St.

Overall, this hotel was not a bad choice, but I found it expensive considering the basic level of accommodation it offers. The service could be better, as could the breakfast with the price you're paying. Did I mention the stairs? You're in a safe area, as Valetta is a safe city. That being said it's very boring after 6pm when most of the stores close. I had a few very boring nights wandering around the quiet streets. If you want somewhere exciting, stay in St. Julians or Paceville unless you want to take the 1hr+ bus ride from Valletta terminal.

Room Tip: Unless you're a fitness fanatic, book a room closer to ground level.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
washington, dc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

i am an experienced world traveler of mature years, picky on hotels (but not overly so), who does much advance research on my travels, including the accommodations, and therefore is rarely really disappointed in them.
this is an odd kind of place. oddly run. everything is marked carefully as "extra cost", but if you know that going in, you can't complain of it. it is a jumble to find ones way aroound in, but not a problem, really. there is a lovely roof terrace but not a stick of furniture there to sit on (could it be extra as well?). they gave me a fan as i didn't opt for the "extra" a/c, and the noise of it cancelled out the noise of the baking yippie dog across the street, so that worked out. they called a cab for me for 6am and it did arrive - and pretty close to 6am. there is a restaurant which looked good with a balcony over the harbor but i ate in some fabulous place recommended by the tourist office people so i don't know for sure about this restaurant. on arrival, i had a room reservation, and they knew about it. i don't know - it is just a bit odd and i can see why some people don't like it. i was somehow annoyed too, but there really isn't any concrete realson for that. i just did. but the location is really good overlooking the harbor right in valletta. and valletta is fabulous. you must go there. i didn't have time for the rest of the island(s). read about the wwll german bombings and visit the war rooms. wonderful. i would actually stay in this british hotel again - so after all of the above blather, i do really recommend it.

Room Tip: get a room facing out over the harbour - quieter and an incredible view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FROOOM
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

The British Hotel is old and pretty run down. Furnishings in my room is very worn out. The hotel has surely seen better days but poorly maintained. The staff is not too helpful. After checking in, one of the staff was asked to show me the way to my room, he just went half way and pointed me to the right direction. Wifi is only available in a certain area and not in the room. Breakfast is average. Service in the restaurant is poor, although that at the reception is OK. The only good point is its location. The balcony has a good view of the Grand Harbour and the hotel is within walking distance to the centre of Valletta

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo