“Great Location, Good sleep” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asti Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valletta
Asti Guest House
Ranked #8 of 16 Valletta B&B and Inns
Frankfurt
“Great Location, Good sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We Stayed here for 2 Nights over a Weekend in March. Location is Great, especially the walking distance to the Main bus Station Makes for easy Transport.
The room was Basic, but clean and Nothing to complain about.
Breakfast was simple, but okay.
The room had no Hearing, so the room was a Bit cold. An issue during Winter.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank arnsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from three nights at the Asti. I thought Annie was a rather lovely host and I liked the location and the building itself (cute Easter decorations, amazing chandeliers). The breakfast was basic but fine.

But:
* My reservation was also messed up - I had several days ahead called about arrving a day sooner than originally planned and had been given confirmation by Annie but when I arrived I was lucky they had a room available since that change in the reservation had not been noted.
* Even in the reception area the wifi rarely worked for me.
* The age of the building shows - the plumbing will not let anything *not* produced by a rabbit or a cow pass (if you know what I mean) so you keep running into people's "leftovers".
* I woke up with two itchy bites on my wrist on my second morning. Might have been mosquitoes, might not.

Room Tip: I stayed in room three. It faces the street, which can be surprisingly noisy - currently there is co...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank mangosorbet007
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

The two positives about the Asti are its location and its owner. Previous reports attracted me to it and it was easy to find, only five mins walk from the bus terminus, on a quiet street and ideally situated for exploring the city and viewing the Grand Harbour from nearby gardens. I had a warm welcome from Mrs Galea ("Call me Annie, we are all family"), who is a very helpful, considerate, and friendly lady. I was directed to a good sized bedroom that was spotless, like the rest of the house. Fortunately I am fit, but as there is no lift the less able-bodied would find the steep stairs difficult, or impossible, to climb. As the building in over 300 y o I was surprised that the internal wall was thin plasterboard and that I could easily understand conversations in the next room. My room had a comfortable bed, tea making facilities, a wash basin without a plug, and basic inexpensive furnishings, but without soap, hairdryer, or TV - although there is an internal telephone. However, it is the coldest house that I have ever stayed in as there is no heating - the lady in the next room had to buy an electric blanket to keep warm.. There is a fan, but no air-conditioning which many would deem essential during the heat of a Maltese summer. As no rooms are en suite guests have to share the nearby facilities. The room was cleaned, bed made, and the tatty hand towels changed daily, but before I had a shower I had to ask for a larger towel on every occasion and then had to be very careful as there are no shower mats. Breakfast was very basic and unchanging: coffee or tea (with a second teabag on request), two fruit juices (pour your own from a carton), cornflakes, ready-sliced brown bread, Maltese croissants (sometimes), strawberry jam, marmalade and butter in sachets, and thin plastic-wrapped slices of processed cheese. I thought that the location was the sole justification for the price, plus the WiFi is free (although reception is guaranteed only in the office area), but anyone visiting Valletta and seeking accommodation that has an equable temperature and all mod cons would need to look elsewhere. Another option would be to stay somewhere cheaper outside the city and commute on the frequent buses as a ticket enabling the holder to cover the whole island all day until 2300 costs only €1,50.
Staying at the Asti was an experience I will not repeat.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank j471m
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

a wonderful host always ready to give tips and help for anything! the people in charge are all welcoming and smiling, really nice staff to meet and discuss.

felt straight at home - thank you.

great location to visit la Valetta and the whole island (as the bus station is very near by)

very clean rooms which were quite large for a good price (25€ / person)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank steph1777
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Well an other great stay at the Asti guest house in Valletta Malta on my return after 41/2 months it was as if i had never been away Annie and her family welcomed me with open arms as if i was one of the family. During my stay there was a celebration for Annie receiving an award from the Maltese tourism authority in recognition to the tourisam industry through years of exemplary service and hospitality. She attended the award ceremony with her lovely daughter and granddaughter and was presented with a silver plate by the minister of tourisam Mr Carmelo Vella. This speaks for its self in my view i find staying at hotels you are just a key number but staying at guest houses such as Asti you are made to feel like a member of Annie's family so on my recommendation it Asti all the way.

Room Tip: I alway stay in room 6 as it is a family room with private facility's
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed at Asti for one week and can recommend it as a budget option in the capital.
Valletta is always a good place to stay for me as you have the buses to all places of the island in a walking distance. Valletta is quite at night and really full of atmosphere and history.
Asti is a 400 years old traditional house. If you don't mind lot of stairs, I can recommend the top floor (room 8 is the only one with open balcony). The house is located in a quite street (stairway without traffic), very close to the bus terminal. Every place in Valletta, buses and ferries are easy to be reached walking. There are enough restaurants, cafés and bars not far away.
The family running the house is very hospitable and helpful. Everything was very straightforward, just call, arrive, pay before leaving bureaucracy. The room and the shared bathroom were very clean. Basic, but there was everything I need, even a kettle. The only thing I was missing was a little fridge which would be perfect.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank pzinken
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

What a fantastic10 day stay we had with Annie and her family we were made so welcome and now feel like family members we stayed in there most recent additional en suit type room no 6. Free wifi tea and coffee in our room and it was cleaned every day and was always spotless. we had our own safe. What a great selection of breakfast from fruit juices prunes cereal etc as much toast & jam etc as you wanted and always a little home made treat if Annie has the time if we wanted something we just asked never a prob. We had such a great 10 days we have booked Annie's newest additional self catering apartment for january 20 meters away from the guest house.We can join in for breakfast at Asti if we wish to great value at €35 per person per night or €40 if we want A/C defiantly the best value i have ever had so thank you Annie and family we will see you in January can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: There new en suite number 6 is Excellent like a wee apartment
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple