“Great value and position”
Review of Asti Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valletta
Asti Guest House
Ranked #13 of 23 Valletta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My family enjoyed 5 days in the Asti in May. Annie was a kind and friendly host, very understanding towards our disabled son. Lovely building. Great value for money at 30 euros per person per day. Perfect position too for all the sights of Valetta, in a quieter area a couple of mins from the centre and also a few mins from the bus station from where you can get anywhere on the Island. Expect to share a bathroom (with Mediterranean plumbing), though for us we had both rooms on the first floor so not a problem. Overall excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 394NickG

Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you're looking for super-luxury, this isn't your place. However if you want a spotlessly clean, centrally located, charming bed and breakfast with a charming owner, look no further. Yes, there are stairs and shared bathrooms, but Valletta is an ancient city and this is an old building. You can handle it. Our room was spacious, and our bathroom was across the hall and really convenient only to our room, so it was practically private. The street and room were quiet. The breakfast was a basic, but adequate. Once we supplied our own fruit, it was just fine. The owner, her grandson, and the staff were unfailingly polite, friendly, and helpful. I have no doubt that this is the best value in town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We are a young couple from Northern Europe, and we stayed at Asti for four nights. Overall, we are satisfied with the experience and would recommend the guesthouse for most self-sufficient travelers.
The biggest advantage of Asti is definitely its location - right in the center of Valletta, yet hidden in a quiet street and sheltered from the noise. Valletta bus station is just a short walk away, and you can reach any place in Malta from there.
The guesthouse is small (9 rooms in total), so the feeling is more familiar than in most chain hotels - one gets to acquaint oneself with most of the guests almost instantly, usually at the breakfast table. The owner, Annie, adds to that feeling as well - she is always ready to exchange a couple of sentences with passing guests, to ask if everything's OK or give some short instructions.
The room that we stayed in was furnished simply, but sufficiently - double bed, nightstands, wardrobe, a couple of chairs, and a sink (shared bathroom was down a hallway). It hadn't any particular glitz or excess (only two coathangers in the wardrobe), but it was cleaned and towels changed each day. One thing that one should have in mind while considering is the amount of stairs - the house is old, tall (for a 4-floor building) and full of them. We had no problem climbing them, but could easily imagine the difficulties for older or heavier persons. Even the lowest rooms are 3 flights of stairs up from the lobby.
Breakfast is served from 8 to 9, it consists of toasted bread with butter, processed cheese or jam, as well as some cake slices for dessert. On Sunday we were treated to a special cake too! Coffee or tea are available as drinks. We somewhat missed fresh fruit (it could be procured on request, but not served normally) and scrambled eggs, although we do understand that it would be hard for the (very old) owner to oversee a larger menu.
With all that in mind, price of 30 Euro per person per night sounds reasonable, although we must add that it has changed from 25 during the interval between our reservation (by phone only) and the actual stay. Still, Asti guesthouse is a good place for travelers who want to stay right in the middle of Valletta and are content with the simple and honest service provided here.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Juste K
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I am a physically fit, cheap and mildly out of my head person, but I faced the long stairs to my room with great trepidation as the days grew longer. Central Valletta also closes down to one all-night pasta place quite early, if you're considering ascending/descending to eat at night.

The owner is either old and absent-minded or sharp as a cardsharp. Who can say? I didn't accept her offer of a receipt the second day and, well, the next day she was trying to wangle a repayment of the same amount. She's demanding enough about everything else, in the Maltese way, so I just have to wonder whether she'd ever let someone sleep another night without paying first...Ah, it's difficult to know whether you're being paranoid so close to Sicily, but maybe it's better to pay her tall manchild every morning instead or get a receipt no matter what. First time a receipt has mattered to me in thousands of cheap hotels.

4  Thank Travel I
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We Stayed here for 2 Nights over a Weekend in March. Location is Great, especially the walking distance to the Main bus Station Makes for easy Transport.
The room was Basic, but clean and Nothing to complain about.
Breakfast was simple, but okay.
The room had no Hearing, so the room was a Bit cold. An issue during Winter.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank arnsch
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Just returned from three nights at the Asti. I thought Annie was a rather lovely host and I liked the location and the building itself (cute Easter decorations, amazing chandeliers). The breakfast was basic but fine.

But:
* My reservation was also messed up - I had several days ahead called about arrving a day sooner than originally planned and had been given confirmation by Annie but when I arrived I was lucky they had a room available since that change in the reservation had not been noted.
* Even in the reception area the wifi rarely worked for me.
* The age of the building shows - the plumbing will not let anything *not* produced by a rabbit or a cow pass (if you know what I mean) so you keep running into people's "leftovers".
* I woke up with two itchy bites on my wrist on my second morning. Might have been mosquitoes, might not.

Room Tip: I stayed in room three. It faces the street, which can be surprisingly noisy - currently there is co...
4  Thank mangosorbet007
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The two positives about the Asti are its location and its owner. Previous reports attracted me to it and it was easy to find, only five mins walk from the bus terminus, on a quiet street and ideally situated for exploring the city and viewing the Grand Harbour from nearby gardens. I had a warm welcome from Mrs Galea ("Call me Annie, we are all family"), who is a very helpful, considerate, and friendly lady. I was directed to a good sized bedroom that was spotless, like the rest of the house. Fortunately I am fit, but as there is no lift the less able-bodied would find the steep stairs difficult, or impossible, to climb. As the building in over 300 y o I was surprised that the internal wall was thin plasterboard and that I could easily understand conversations in the next room. My room had a comfortable bed, tea making facilities, a wash basin without a plug, and basic inexpensive furnishings, but without soap, hairdryer, or TV - although there is an internal telephone. However, it is the coldest house that I have ever stayed in as there is no heating - the lady in the next room had to buy an electric blanket to keep warm.. There is a fan, but no air-conditioning which many would deem essential during the heat of a Maltese summer. As no rooms are en suite guests have to share the nearby facilities. The room was cleaned, bed made, and the tatty hand towels changed daily, but before I had a shower I had to ask for a larger towel on every occasion and then had to be very careful as there are no shower mats. Breakfast was very basic and unchanging: coffee or tea (with a second teabag on request), two fruit juices (pour your own from a carton), cornflakes, ready-sliced brown bread, Maltese croissants (sometimes), strawberry jam, marmalade and butter in sachets, and thin plastic-wrapped slices of processed cheese. I thought that the location was the sole justification for the price, plus the WiFi is free (although reception is guaranteed only in the office area), but anyone visiting Valletta and seeking accommodation that has an equable temperature and all mod cons would need to look elsewhere. Another option would be to stay somewhere cheaper outside the city and commute on the frequent buses as a ticket enabling the holder to cover the whole island all day until 2300 costs only €1,50.
Staying at the Asti was an experience I will not repeat.

6  Thank j471m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
British Hotel
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#6 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Asti Guest House? Share your experiences!