“Basic accomodation in the heart of Valletta”
Review of Asti Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valletta
Asti Guest House
Ranked #11 of 21 Valletta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 May 2009

You can't argue with the price at the Asti (as a single traveller I paid under 20 euros a night) and you are conveniently located in the heart of Valletta. The building itself is full of character, and so is Annie, the tiny old lady who runs the place. Once you break the ice a bit, she's lovely and can be very helpful.

I had a room on the first floor. It was large, had two single beds, a tall free-standing wardrobe with a couple of drawers, a wash basin area with drawers and mirror, a little table and 2 chairs, bedside table with lamp, coat hooks on the wall, 2 small towels, 2 glasses and an ashtray. Also a nice little window niche overlooking old St. Ursula street and its balconies.

I've only given the rooms a 2 circle rating because I was cold. Otherwise, for the price, they would have got 3 I think. The houses in Valletta are old and charming, and the Asti is no exception. But the bedrooms don't have en suite bathrooms, and there is no heating. Even in April, by early evening, I was definitely cold. And the bed sheets felt cold too. I had to do some rearranging so that the wool blankets were next to my skin, top and bottom, as these felt less damp.

Each floor shares toilet and showers. On the first floor this meant only sharing with one other room and the bathroom was just across the corridor. Again, basic facilities, not fantastic showers. You will need to bring everything you need with you - all your toiletries, soap for your room etc. There is a plug for shavers, but I only found one other normal socket. So I had to swap around the lamp and my phone charger etc.

Breakfast: Annie will bring you some juice and tea or coffee if you want it. Your breakfast will already be set out for you on your table: a large nice white bread roll, butter & jam etc, a tomato, a slice of processed cheese, and either some cookies or a piece of cake.

You need to leave your room key on the little hangers when you go out and you will be given a set of keys for the front door to come and go as you wish. Be aware that parts of Valletta can seem like a ghost town after dark, but if you want a cheap, central place to explore by day then the Asti is ideal. It makes for a quaint and interesting stay! Just go fully prepared, be respectful with Annie, and then enjoy the bargain :)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank callisto_on_holiday

Reviewed 4 February 2009

This is a lovely old building. The elderly lady who runs the place is charming. English is not her first language, and travellers should be patient and relax if there are any initial problems with communication, especially over the phone. The Inn is very clean, but like many places in the Mediterranean in the winter can be a little chilly at night (I think that in the summer, this wouldn't be a problem at all). But there were plenty of covers, and the inn is fabulously located in the centre of Valletta. This is a good choice, especially when one considers how very well priced it is.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank GiuseppeNYC
Reviewed 9 November 2008

When my boyfriend and I decided to go to Malta as part of our holiday, I found many positive reviews of the Asti, so decided to give it a shot. We weren't able to stay there for the first nights we were in Valletta because she was fully booked, but we were able to stay for the last 4 nights. There was some work being done to one room while we were there, but that didn't bother us.

The Asti is quite well-situated, just a few steps from one of the roads if you're getting there by taxi, and about 5 or so minute walk from the buses. She has two locked doors, although one is left open during the day - she'll show you how to lock them when you get in - and what appeared to be a security camera.

The room was roomy, and we had two firm singles that were pushed together. No a/c, but a fan and a little balcony. There was also a good-sized wardrobe, sink and counter, and a desk. There appeared to be one bathroom on every floor, but no more than 3 rooms per floor. The room, bathrooms, and the entire building were extremely clean. Breakfast is from 8-9, and was a very good continental (large roll, butter, jam, tomato, orange juice, cake, tea or coffee, and cheese).

Accounts are to be settled up the day before you leave, and if you need a taxi, be sure to ask her then for help getting one, as she can arrange it for you.

As my boyfriend said, he'd love to stay in Malta for a month, and if he did, he'd want to stay at the Asti. It's a marvelous old building, with a terrific owner. At just under 17Euro per person per night, it was a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ottawavalleytourist
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I'm afraid our opinion of the Asti Guest House is a bit tainted because of our raised expectations due to a wonderful experience at a guest house in Marsaxlokk. That being said, my husband and I found it to be pretty average.
The location is great, near the Upper Barrakka Gardens in Valletta (not too far from the bus station) and within walking distance to most of the attractions there. The building is old, rendering it somewhat charming and somewhat just aging. The downstairs stays cool naturally (and smells a little musty), but as we climbed the uneven stairs higher and higher to our room the temperature rose as well. We were on the top floor, with no AC, and it was pretty hot. The fans and open windows made it bearable. I would suggest trying to get a room a floor or two down.
Our room was a little cramped with 2 twin beds pushed together to make a double bed and a twin bed to the side, which the owner instructed us not to use (or even sit on) since we were only staying 1 night. The bed wasn't great, but it wasn't awful. There was also an armoire, a sink, and a mirror, and a shared bathroom across the hall. Everything was pretty clean, but definitely needs some updating (especially the linens).
The owner is an elderly Maltese lady who is nice enough and pretty accommodating, but you definitely get the feeling that she would have no problems scolding you if you forgot the rules or screwed up. We were fortunate enough to stay on her good side (I think). Don't hesitate to ask for information or suggestions if you need it, though, she was helpful.
Breakfast was served at 8 am (too early!) and consisted of tea/ coffee, a whole raw tomato, a few slices of American cheese, and a bun with butter and jam. It was a pretty light meal, overall, and not nearly enough for my husband.
The Asti Guest House is a decent place to stay at a very affordable rate. It isn't overly luxurious and the owner isn't overly friendly, but compared to other guest houses in Valletta, it's probably your best bet.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank APois
Reviewed 6 June 2008

This place is one of the best value B&B's I've stayed in. For the 35 odd euros we got a decent sized room with a little balcony, excellent location and brekky. The bathrooms are shared, but are spotless. While not overtly friendly, Annie is an absolute champion and will do anything to help you if you just ask. She makes it just like staying at Grandmas.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gringravitas
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I staied at Asti Guest House for just two nights with my mom, her girl friend (both almost 80 each!) and my daughter (10 year old). We arrived in the evening (rain was pouring) and the owner Annie was waiting for us (a tiny old lady, but VERY energetic). The impression you get from her is that you're coming back home and mum is waiting for you, which includes "Dry your shoes on the door mat!". She speaks perfect english (don't know why somebody else said she speaks incomprehensible language). The building has been renovated, rooms are basic but clean and confortable, no rooms ensuite (there are hostel style shared bathrooms, with a couple of showers and a WC each, so there's not much privacy, but again, VERY VERY clean). Breakfast is ok (no home cooking), but if you need something more/different Annie is very willing to help, specially with children. I think that value for money is excellent (around 35 euro two people): right in the centre, near main bus station, clean and confortable rooms, and a very helpful owner. But mind you: if you're doing something wrong you'll be told off by Annie!! So this is not the place for careless people or for those who consider that privacy in bathroom is a must.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank fuscol
Reviewed 7 March 2008

My husband and I decided to spend our 20th anniversary in Malta and after searching for a place to stay, chose the Asti house. We loved it. It was for us more of a cultural experience which we prefer over the resort thing. the place was very neat and clean and our little Maltese grandma hostess was wonderful. We did go in Febuary which is considered their winter. Since nobody bothers with heat (most of the year is so hot) we did find the room chilly. However, having said that, grandma had 4 layers of blankets on the bed for us and with warm pjs it worked just fine. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, any time of year. And the location was unbeatable. Not only is Valletta a very beautiful place (and you're right there) but the central bus station is 5 minutes away from the guesthouse which made exploring the rest of the island super easy. I hope this place is around for a long time to come. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family