“perfect for backpackers in Valletta”
Review of Asti Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valletta
Asti Guest House
Ranked #13 of 26 Valletta B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My boyfriend and I have recently got back from backpacking in Malta for 6 days where we
spent two nights in Valletta before moving on to Gozo for three nights, opting to stay in
guest houses for a more authentic Maltese experience. We chose Asti guest house based upon our research using google and trip advisor and
don't regret our choice!

We have stayed in many hotels before in various countries and have always felt service is lacking. Choosing Asti guest house really enriched our experience of Malta for Annie's hospitality was second to none. It really was like staying at your grandma's!

She was very welcoming, helful and attentive to our needs and I thoroughly recommend staying here. It is cheap so accommodation is basic, but you get hot showers and a nice breakfast with good service. What more do you need?

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1,884

Reviewed 24 May 2010

Having reviewed several hotels in Valletta prior to booking this B&B, we decided to give Asti a whirl as the reviews for here were best!! We only wanted the room for one night as we were travelling home the next day and decided as we would be out most of the day and evening, we would go cheap for E20 each including breakfast!! The room was clean and basic and although you have to share bathing facilities this was not a problem as there were two toilets, a bath and two showers on our floor with three rooms. Annie was very sweet and even got up at 4.45 am to do breakfast for us and four French people who had been staying there for 10 days and were quite happy with the place! As we were going to the airport, this place is ideally located as it is less than 10 mins walk to the Bus Terminus - we caught our bus at 6.00 am for E0.47 and arrived at the airport in about half an hour. Valletta is a very interesting place - managed a trip around the Grand Harbour which is a must - costs E16 but lasted about an hour and a half and was very good. We would like to return to Valletta and would have no hesitation in staying at Asti again for a couple of nights - as another review says - it's not the sort of place you would want to stay in all day, but if you just want a bed for the night and know it's clean and cheap - give this one a try.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kentravellers
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Guest House Asti is an absolutely great place to stay! If you go to malta, u should really stay in Valletta as almost ALL buses go to Valletta and are incredible cheap (most expensive €0.58 to cheapest €0.47). From the bus terminal all places in malta can be reached and it is a true experience as the buses are really old. We looked up a guest house on trip advisor before we booked our hotel and I was a little worried as some people said annie is rude or that the sheets are damp etc. We stayed in April just after easter and the beds were dry and the sheets clean and dry too. Annie is absolutely amazing, she truly enjoys her job and doesn't run the guest house for profit. She was really nice to us and to everyone else. I am not english but I do live in england and she was not hard to understand at all! The breakfast fills you up for the day and it might be a little early, but in malta everything happens early. It is really quite busy during the day and in the mornings but it is very quiet in the evenings. We just got used to it and started the day earlier and thus just went to bed earlier... [easy solution]
Asti is a really good place to stay at, it is not a 5 star hotel, thats for sure but it is perfect if you are in malta to go sightseeing and to do stuff during the day. It is not a hotel where you want to stay in all day and hang out at the pool [there is none]. Its a perfect bed for the night, which is affordable and the location is perfect, as it takes 5 min to the bus terminal. I would definitely recommend it for single travelers, young couples or anyone on a budget. With Annie you get a real Maltese experience and you have to respect that english is not her first language - hence she might not use all the friendly vocabulary as the english like to do- she says how things are and means good.
We had our own key for the night so you can go in and out when ever you want. We left all our valuables in the room and you can trust that no one will steal anything! there are only 2 cleaners, and it is very important to Annie that nothing goes missing. We had a really great time in Malta and were very happy with our Accommodation. We did stay for nearly 3 weeks (due to the Volcanic ashes) and it totally felt like home in the end! Just one more thing: book early!!! and per telephone. It is booked out really quickly and all is handled on the phone. No deposit is needed and Annie only asks you to let her know if you cant make it. Even if she is not sure if people will still come she won't give away the room - in case they still turn up, so its good to call and let her know. Anyways, if you are thinking of going to malta - good choice - and if you don't just want to party and hang out on the pool - valletta and Asti are your best bet!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iLoveTravelling2010
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Wonderful budget accomodation! The location is great, the rooms big, and Annie is very welcoming. Plus there's breakfast -- and you can't beat the price!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank abspanfin
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Yes, it's true. This is a wonderful guest house and Madame Annie rules the roost with indomitable style. Do book in advance as, even in December, the place was full. Book by phone: the style may seem strangely informal, no deposit required and do make sure that you make your dates absolutely clear. The rates are extremely reasonable. The location is excellent for visting the sites of Valletta and for the bus station for excursions. Ask Annie for tourist guides to the island. For those who like observing other people, the breakfast room presents an intriguing range -- and it's very friendly, with people striking up conversations from table to table.
Personally, I didn't find it cold at night -- there's plenty of bedding.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Miranda_Escobedo
Reviewed 23 October 2009

This was my 7th visit to Malta and my partners first. I was used to holidaying with my parents in the 'package' type hotels, staying in all different locations however this time I was looking to book somewhere cheap as we got such a good deal on a flight.
I found the Asti, went onto trip advisor as I always do this now before booking anywhere and the reviews were so positive and the photo's were brilliant I thought we have to stay here.
It was a typical Valletta town house, however all the times i'd been to Malta I never knew that those houses could be so lovely inside and big!
It was in a great location for the day time as we bought ourselves a bus pass that lasted 7 days which was 13 euro's and if you are familiar with Valletta this is where all the buses terminate so any bus we saw pass us on our travels was always going back to Valletta. The buses (especially the old ones are brill - you have to use them)
It wasn't such a great location for the evening if you're looking for things to do as it is very quiet, but it was very romantic and we found a pizzeria/bar right next to the Upper Barraca gardens (which is just round the corner from the guesthouse) overlooking the 3 cities and the view was just so romantic and peacful.
The guesthouse is beautiful. Annie the owner is just so sweet and I agree you have to respect her and have a laugh with her and then she will warm to you.
The place is very clean, the shared bathrooms are great. Even though the place was full (and apparently it is full all year round) we didn't bump into anyone in the bathroom. The showers are nice and big and there are pegs and an area to put your bits so they don't get wet. There are 2 seperate showers which have proper slide doors so you can't see anyone bathing and the toilet also has a seperate door.
The bedrooms are pretty basic but there was enough furniture. There isn't any aircon so in the night we had to keep a fan on. We went at the end of Sept and were very warm so I'm not sure I could of bared the heat in those rooms in August!
The breakfast is as people have said, Tomato, roll, cheese, coffee, juice and a plate of melon or cake, however I couldn't see Annie handling cooked orders and to be fair for the amount you pay I don't think people should expect much more.
It was quite nice actually as we normally eat way too much at breakfast on holidays and regret it when we get home.
I would definately return to this guest house and would recommend it.
We was on the second floor and I must say there are quite a few uneven and steep steps so I wouldn't recommend this for the less mobile. Also the whole of Valletta is up and down steps.
Valletta was a little more expensive to eat and drink out.
The cheapest place we found was in Marsaxlokk (the fishing village on the East coast) 2 starters, 2 Mains, 2 rounds of bread and a glass of wine each was 5 Euro's 85!!!!!! and it was good food.
Lovely place and we will be back. Annie is our adopted Maltese Grandma now and I can't wait to see her again.
In the breakfast room she has a bookcase and it is full from top to bottom of postcards, thank you cards etc.... to Annie and her husband when he was alive. You can tell she is loved by all.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank roff
Reviewed 10 June 2009

It is a elegant building and grandma Annie try her best to give the best service to me.
Room itself is clean and old Malti style. The location is ideal for everything in town and you won't get better than this. Nice breakfast serves from 8-9. I enjoyed my stay in Anti very much.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank bari_ttc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Grand Harbour Hotel
#6 of 15 in Valletta
Castille Hotel
Castille Hotel
#11 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Asti Guest House? Share your experiences!