“Utterly expensive and a long wait”
Review of Black Pig

Black Pig
Ranked #78 of 229 Restaurants in Valletta
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Malta
“Utterly expensive and a long wait”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The food is good but nothing to be so ecstatic about. Sat there for about 3 hours waiting for our main course. Definitely we paid for a whole big fish and got just a slice of it in a big plate with no veg except a measly saucer of a potato concoction. Price added up to over €130 including dessert and an isis wine. Again, nothing to be esctatic about except an overpriced meal.

3 Thank toniobStVenera_Malta

Kappara
“What an ordeal to get one's food”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived and were seated by 9.25pm, our starters served at 10.20pm, our mains at 11.20pm. Only 5 starters and 5 mains on menu and the 4 of us ordered the 2 items on each that the waiter recommended imagine how much longer it would have taken if we hadn't! The sides were a small dish of mashed potatoes and a dish with 7 pieces of onion. The waiter offered to add some veg to my dish as did not want the eel but it never materialised. We didn't order desert, it was too late. They couldn't even serve the 4 coffees together, they brought two cappuccinos and then served the 2 expressos 5 minuted later! Having a toilet in the corner is terrible also. A very very disappointing experience for an expensive meal. I then woke up with terrible heartburn at 3.30am , I do not recommend this restaurant at all. No vegetarian options for the main course either.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Patricia M
Bali, Indonesia
“Disappointing after a great build up”
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

We live in Malta..I'm English and my wife Maltese and we eat out all over the Island looking for the best spots. We were going to the movies and were very lucky to book a table on a Friday night at 8.45. The Black Pig has a fantastic reputation for foodies and we had a very good feel going in. The reviews critique the loo which is built of pine and sits as a carved out corner of the restaurant but hey, we are here for the food. The service was attentive as a start, we ordered a bottle of Chablis to begin and must say the wines are reasonable. The explanation of the menu was attentive, as was the reception to my wife's questions on gluten and dairy intolerance. She ordered duck confit with pasta and I had the risotto with Jerusalem artichoke and truffles which were both very good but we realised that the service was slow and we were risking drinking the first bottle so I checked reds by the glass. I ordered a steak with caramelised onions and mont d'or cheese..yum and my wife sea bass. Both with potatoe on the side and vegetables on the plate..my wife's sea bass was excellent but the steak was local aged beef, and as I normally never eat local but only USDA or Irish fillet, was assured this was very flavoursome and tender. We sort of missed the vegetables on the side...was this the onions ..and I had a huge piece of medium rare fillet which was tasteless and I obviously ran out of potatoe and vegatables which weren't there!!!! So I couldn't finish the steak. My wife's was perfect and very much enjoyed but when I said the steak was tasteless the maître'd sort of tipped his nose like so what! Never mind we had waited so long for the main course that it was over 10.20 before our main was served and frankly we were ready for bed...I had smartly worked out that for meals as long as this I had better order the rest of the bottle of red which I did. So service was really poor and although the food was good ( I'm ok admitting I chose wrong on my main), we would disagree this was a foodies restaurant and would describe it just as different. What shocked us was the table behind us was a tourist table and on paying the bill the guy said that the service was really slow and he was fed up...again the maître'd tipped his nose and was unapologetic. So on balance I think this restaurant is like many with good reviews who take life and custom for granted....we would not return and although the food was good in general the overall experience...which is why we go to a restaurant..was a big disappointment. Considering it is such a small restaurant nearly 3 hours to eat two courses is just ridiculous and there seems to be a resistance to negative comment. John M

Visited March 2014
4 Thank John M
Sliema, Malta
“fab food”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The food is incredible here. So is the service. The place itself is nothing to write home about especially what seemed to be an added on toilet with disgusting pine wood dividers. Tables too close together. Rip off on the prosecco (at euros 6 a glass), the desserts (although they are very good and original) and on things like water, espresso. In all if you stick to the food then it's great. Fantastic risotto, perfectly cooked veal and fish etc etc

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank AZE1974
Sliema, Malta
“Great for vegetarians”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

One of the few restaurants I've been to that actually pays attention to what a main course should be for vegetarians. Meat eaters at the table were also happy!
Food is on the expensive side, but worth it for the quality and atmosphere.
It is a fairly small restaurant in a stone building, so can get loud.
One of the best restaurants in Malta for foodies!

• Visited October 2013