“CENTRALLY SITUATED AND THAT IS ABOUT IT”
Review of Charles Grech

Charles Grech
Ranked #48 of 297 Restaurants in Valletta
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Before I write this review I want to place things into context. I have been visiting Malta for over 28 years. The climate is great, there is so much to see and the people are very welcoming.

Our typical watering holes are Café Cordina, a café in St James Cavalier and believe it or not, M&S in Strait Street ! There are several other cafe's we have frequent including one in the Manuel Theatre. All of which serve good food and offer pleasant service.

During our latest visit we thought we would try somewhere different and for years we had noticed this wine bar come café, mainly due to its façade. So after doing some Valletta sightseeing on a hot Maltese afternoon we decided to try "Charles Grech". It is only 100 metres or so from the Valletta gates.

We were smartly dressed, myself in shirt, trousers - no shorts. My partner was wearing a Summer dress. So we entered the café, it was half full and chilled by air-con. A waiter was sautering around serving another client when we entered. So we looked at the menu and made our choice quite quickly, then waited and waited and waited. After over twenty minutes the same waiter re-appeared.

I asked for a Gozotian Platter (cheese, hams, olives etc) from the menu. The waiter gave us a shocked questioning look. I repeated the order and received the same look. I then showed the items entry in the menu, to which the waiter respond " you mean a Gozotian Platter" in exactly the same way I pronounced it, but in a sarcastic sneery fashion. We then asked for a local soft drink to which we got an even more sarcastic response before he wander off.

I know the soft drinks were cheap when compared to the wine that was being consumed within the café, but the platter wasn't. If it was too late to serve the platter the waiter should have said, rather than be snied.

So rather than expect him spitting in our soft drinks, we left.

Perhaps the waiter was having a bad day, perhaps a previous customer had not given an expected tip, perhaps he was suffering from haemeroids ! We will not attempt a return visit as there are plenty of other cafe's that will except our Euro with a smile and good service.

David M, Manager at Charles Grech, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear TerrythePotter,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review, Allow me to start by apologising for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent visit as we pride ourselves in exceeding expectations and certainly we did not do so on this occasion. I would appreciate if you contact me personally on - dmckeon@charlesgrech.com

Kind regards
David - dmckeon@charlesgrech.com

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We came here a few mornings for coffee and Maltese cheese cakes. We always sat outside and watched everyone walking up and down Republic street. It was just so relaxing.

We found this place to have great value for money considering it's location and the main guy who worked there was so helpful and friendly and funny.

I would go there this morning if I could!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

excellent service, good selection of drinks, 3 dishes of snacks always served with drinks which is a nice touch.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Charles Grech is one of the most famous place with wines and spirits in Malta.I love a posh place like this because makes me feel unique .They serve food and platters which are excellent to share and every time you order a drink they give you appetizers ,its a place where you can buy an expensive gift as well and the quality its always first priority.
Staff uniforms and serving process its a must which create a nice environment and good clients communication.
I am pleased to stop by any time when I go to Valletta to relax.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

After a hot day sightseeing in Valetta, my husband and I popped in to this charming and smart air conditioned bar and ordered a half bottle of Maltese dry white wine (ISIS) that was recommended by the waiter (lovely wine priced at a very reasonable 15 Euro for half bottle). It came chilled complete with ice bucket and generous nibbles (stuffed olives, crisps and nuts). The waiters were extremely polite and helpful and gave us a recommendation for a Maltese red wine (Cheval Franc) as we were asking about local wines.

We, as tourists, were made to feel as welcome as the locals - a little gem and a perfect end to our day.