“Definitely quirky” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stupor Mundi - CLOSED

Stupor Mundi
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Definitely quirky”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

I sit between the two extremes of review which seem to characterise this restaurant. If I had read the reviews on TA before going, I might have been put off which would have been a shame. We visited on a rainy Sunday in May and were glad to find somewhere that was open and not packed out. The service was eccentric to say the least - the owner seemed a little embarrassed to have us in the restaurant. To cut a long story short, we both ordered swordfish with roast potatoes (i.e. chips) and it was the best cooked and seasoned piece of fish I had the whole week we were in Valletta. Oddities included being offered, rather reluctantly, red or white wine and only finding out later (by listening in on another table) that there was a wine list. Another was that, as is traditional, we were given a basket of bread, but this arrived with our main meal after waiting about 30 minutes; thankfully the wine came quicker than that. Our meal was also accompanied by a surprisingly good accordion and guitar duo. Not sure if I would go back as it was a strange place, but I couldn't fault the fish.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Sunny Sussex
“Dire”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Four of us ate here. The waitress seemed permanently confused and the owner rather odd. I had a seafood dish which was shellfish (all cold), served with two rather tired king prawns that were tepid. My friends all had pasta dishes which arrived in drab bowls and looked like it had been thrown together. It all looked hastily prepared with no presentation or even an attempt at it at all. My friend asked for a Bacardi which the owner nipped outside to buy nearby reappearing with a half bottle. When my partner asked for Vodka and orange he nipped out again and returned on this occasion with Fanta orange that was hastily mixed with the vodka. The evening was marred further when smoke from the kitchen literally enveloped the whole dining area to the point that our eyes watered. I don't actually like giving negative feedback but sadly this place is awful. I suspect the owner has little or no knowledge of catering and is simply 'trying his hand.' I wouldn't be dragged back here to eat....sorry.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Attard, Malta
“Amazing restaurant for a proper Italian (puglia) meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visited the restaurant on Sunday lunchtime - the restaurant was full. The staff, who are the owners, are very welcoming. The menu provides a good selection of starters, and main courses. We couldnt chose which starters to order, and so we were given a small portion of 3 starters available. The main course and house specialities were also mouth watering, together with the house wine, which suited the meal perfectly. We finished off the meal with desert and coffee, which I really liked since it was light, but leaves you with a sweet taste:)

I highly recommend this place for a proper italian meal with family and friends. You definitely won't leave from there hungry :)

London, United Kingdom
“Great Food and what a warm and friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is the second time I've been to this restaurant and after a first nice experience I decided to take my family for dinner and it was a good decision. The restaurant is small which adds to the warm and friendly Italian atmosphere. The owner and staff are really nice people and very friendly, not to mention that the food is just GREAT!!!! We all chose the mains but left the appetizers and starters in his hands and we were served a nice selection of cheese, salami, aubergines in cheese, involtini, bruschetta etc. We mostly had fish and prawns for main and everything was cooked to perfection and in Italian/Maltese spirit the wine kept flowing with also a few shots of limoncello at the end.

I will be going again soon.

Thanks for great food and for making us feel so welcome.

KEEP IT UP

“Shocking...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I needto agree 100% with Carolines review of this place. Having seen many reviewsthat are sometimes exagerrated, this is not one of them. I was greeted by a weird Britis musician who also spoke to me about animal activism. Although interesting, it was not the time or the pllce for such a discussion. The service was non existant. The watress didnt fill our wine glass or even ask.over the course.of 20 minutes and looked at me puzzled when I asked for parmesan for my pasta. She barely spoke english. The food was terrible. Sauce was straight out of a "just add milk" packet. The whole time we were there, the other "waiter" I think was theowner which scared me. He looked dishevelled, with messy hair and a large shirt that looked like a sail to a sailboat. Honestly, this place looks like someones retirement project gone terribly wrong. Sorry to say it, but avoid this place at all costs!

Visited February 2014