“Excellent experience”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 18 March 2011

This was my third stay at the excelsior and it certainly won't be my last.
The service and the food was again outstanding and made my three day visit a very pleasant one! The people from frontdesk were very helpfull with assitance for carrental and online check-in for my flight. So beside the one day with rain and strong wind it was a great holiday!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
ExcelsiorHotelMalta, E Commerce Manager at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the lovely comments about our hotel. I am delighted that your stay with us was once again up to your expectations. We are pleased that you found our staff helpful and our food great. I will certainly share your views about our service with our team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. The Grand Hotel Excelsior Team is eager to welcoming you back with us on your next visit to Malta.

Norbert Grixti
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,190)

Reviewed 16 March 2011

Went with my wife for her 60th birthday what a great hotel.When we arrived the bed was covered in rose petals a bottle red wine a basket of fruit also.Found the staff very helpful went to the staff at 9pm asking if i could get flowers for my wife birthday for the next day and they got them for me well done the front staff.Rooms cleaned every day fresh bed linen also.great service with chocolate and turn down service.Just a great hotel thanks to everyone who may our stay such a pleasure.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
ExcelsiorHotelMalta, E Commerce Manager at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2011

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Grand Hotel Excelsior Malta, I would like to express our heartfelt appreciation for your comments following your stay at our hotel and for sharing your positive experience with other prospective visitors. We are very happy to read that we have made your celebration a success and would like to thank you once again for your very kind words. We hope that we will have the pleasure of sharing another wonderful experience with you.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2011

we recently stayed at this property and we were impressed. The view from the Harbourview restaurant was stunning and a fabulous place to have your daily breakfast buffet. The buffet had a wide variety of fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, pretty much something for everyone! the staff were very firendly and helpful and each evening coming back to a turndown service with a chocolate really made my day! this is a place i would definitely come back to again. Unfortunately it was too cold to try the outdoor pool, however with warmer weather it looked heavenly to swim, particularly right next to the harbour. The location was perfect and only minutes away from shopping... we arrived during Karnival and I have to say that it was a fabulous time. All of the costumes, the hustle and bustle and on the last day the incredible floats... well worth the trip! oh yes, the food was out of this world so make sure to bring drawstring pants!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
ExcelsiorHotelMalta, E Commerce Manager at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to read about your wonderful stay at our hotel, and I would like to thank you for posting such a nice review. Indeed our magnificent views overlooking the harbour, our hotel location and our friendly staff are an important asset to the Grand Hotel Excelsior. We are pleased that you enjoyed our service and that you managed to experience the lovely vibes we Maltese enjoy so much during the Carnival week. Please feel free to check our hotel website for events taking place in and around the hotel in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the summer season so that you can have a dip in our outdoor pool.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 March 2011

An OK 5 star hotel for a business visit to Malta or exploring Valletta.

The Excelsior is in a nice location with fantastic views from the public areas. It is a spacious and well decorated hotel.

The rooms that don’t have a sea view don’t have a great view whereas i’ve stayed at other hotels where if you don’t pay for a sea view you still get an ok view if you know what I mean. If I had paid for a "good" view my review would have been more positive.

First room I was given was near a road and looking out of the window you saw a concrete structure. After complaining I was offered to pay for an upgrade to a better room but I just wanted a room where you didn’t hear busy road noise or see a concrete structure outside the window. I was given another room. In this room the patio door didn’t lock so I told reception and someone came immediately and fixed it. These things happen and I wasn’t left hanging around. It was also a connecting room so I got a bit of noise.

The rooms are very nice and comparable to the best hotels in Malta. I found them a nice place to hang around in. The indoor swimming pool is very nice too but its not suitable for people who like lane swimming as its very curved and there are things in the middle of the pool where people can sit.

Breakfast was good and the views must be some of the best in Malta.

2 big positives for the hotel are an empty fridge in the room which you can put your own things in and free wifi.

I do wonder to myself with the same plot and building restrictions what the architect of the Malta Hilton would have come up with on the Excelsior site.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

We are glad you enjoyed our convenient location, the lovely harbour views and our lavish breakfast during your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. Indeed if you are looking for a nice relaxing stay Our Sea view and Seafront Rooms are ideal. We are sorry for the mishaps you encountered and appreciate receiving your feedback as it helps us to continually improve our standards. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel Excelsior Malta in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2011

The Excelsior Grand is in a great location, just a pleasant short walk from Valletta, and offers every possible comfort at a reasonable price compared to most hotels in this class. The rooms are large, and since the hotel is on a peninsula, all have a view. The bathroom was sparkling clean and roomy. There are several options for food in the hotel and my favorite was the buffet breakfast which was absolutely fabulous. There is also a buffet evening meal which involves more food than most people can reasonably eat. If you are interested in seafood, immediately to the back of the hotel is a nice little seafood restaurant that was excellent and with a lovely view. Concierge can give you directions and make a reservation for you. I was very impressed by the size of the common areas at the Excelsior. A colleague and I visited the bar each evening for a chat and a drink and we never felt crowded because the area is huge but with a very private feeling and groupings of comfortable furniture and tables that aren’t on top of each other. Even with most of the areas occupied there was still a sense of privacy. It was terrific. I’m not a pool person but the pool area was quite picturesque and on the seafront. I imagine it is a favorite amenity. On the whole I can’t think of any group who wouldn’t be thrilled with this hotel except budget travelers. It isn’t for them but it does offer a great value for everyone else.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
ExcelsiorHotelMalta, E Commerce Manager at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2011

Dear Guest,

First off we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your views about your recent experience at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location, scenic views, and our great selection of food for breakfast and dinner. As you pointed out the hotel is very close to the capital city, Valletta and our concierge can always recommend activities and events that are taking place in and around the area. We hope that you will give us opportunity to host you on your next visit to Malta.

Reviewed 9 March 2011

No warning of the 87 steps to climb from reception to the hotel gates!
Minimum charge to be taken to the gates in one of the hotel cars was 12 euro.
Waited 30mins. while room No. 764 was inspected only to find :- Bed unmade, toilet was blocked, cistern took 10min. to fill, drawer front fell off, desk lamp and standard lamp had the bulbs hanging out of the lamp stem on wires, magnifying mirror was very loose.
In the evening we found that we could not read in bed because the bedside light was too low and had a thick, dark shade....the duty manager suggested that we use the torch which was supplied! I pointed out that there were two of us and that we needed another standard lamp.
The room was very cold(11deg. C) in the night, although the heating was set on max. it could not cope with the northerly wind on the large singled-glazed windows.....no offer of extra heating apparatus was offered.
We had paid 35 euros/night extra to be upgraded from the room (209) which we were originally given.We moved from this room because it was depressingly close to a massive cliff and the side sea-view was a neck-craning joke!
On looking a tariff list of the hotel, I found that the difference in price between room 209 and room 764 was 16 euros/night. When I asked both the duty manager and the day manager why I had been charged 35 euros/night neither could give an explanation and said they would look into it, but no refund was made.
We were always pleased with the service, drinks and food we received in the bars and restaurants....really first class!
I found that the indoor pool was not as good as it appeared....very little room to swim due to the danger of colliding wit the edges of underwater seating around the pillars.
On our last full day there, we left our room at 10am and returned at 4pm to find that the room had not been made up! Only an angry phonecall to the housekeeper resulted in someone changing the towels and making the beds.
Finally, early on the last morning all the lights in the room fused....I think we got the message!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KengSth_Wales

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to upload your review for the Grand Hotel Excelsior. We regret to hear that certain aspects of your stay at our hotel were not up to your entire satisfaction. We shall be examining the areas which failed to meet your expectations and assure you that wherever possible, measures will be implemented to address any issue. We do appreciate the positive comments related to our Food and Beverage product and service and hope to have the opportunity to provide you with a more pleasant experience if you decide to visit us again.

Reviewed 13 February 2011

I loved this hotel. The staff, without exception, were helpful and attentive. Special mention must be made of Michael, the maitre d' and Lavinia, the senior receptionist. I went there to celebrate my most recent 'noughty' birthday and it was perfect. If you want the 'lap of luxury' this is it!. Easy to walk into Valletta - just follow Great Seige Road round by Marsamxxett Harbour and use the steps near the Anglican Cathedral or follow round to the Harbour. At this time of year, it's relatively peaceful and I had no worries about walking into Valletta after dark on my own. The indoor pool was fabulous - I had it to myself in the late afternoon! A wonderful place to 'wind down'.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
ExcelsiorHotelMalta, E Commerce Manager at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2011

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our hotel’s location, facilities and in particular our staff and the service. We also appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback as it is one of the best means to motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards. We will share your comments with Michael, Lavinia and the whole team who will be very pleased to hear them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel Excelsior Malta in the future and thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Mr Norbert Grixti
General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
#2 of 15 in Valletta
Osborne Hotel
Osborne Hotel
#7 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!