“nice long week end break”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Valletta
Northampton, United Kingdom
“nice long week end break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

very impressed with the entrance and reception area on arrival.
after a short wait for our room we entered our room which was on reception level.
the room was great and very clean , all what i expected as we paid extra for a sea view room.
checked the view out on the balcony as was then slighty dissapointed, overlooking the car park and staff having there break was not my idea of sea view! didnt want to say anything but was really dissappointed when we paid extra for a view.
glad i did , staff was good and 10 minutes later we were moved to a top floor room with a great view .room was just as good.
pool area was great and very clean .
drinks were VERY expensive from the hotel , nearly 14 euros for double jack daniels and coke !! sort of expected this in a 5 star hotel.
breakfast was VERY nice. plenty for all tastes , my only gripe was having to find someone to ask for coffee, 2 days running ,(not a 5 star service when your staying in a 5 star hotel!!) on the monday it was totally different ,was asked on being seated .
i agree with some other reviews , is this a 5 star hotel ?.. mmmm ,no its not , but it is close and a very nice hotel and i would stay here again.

1 Thank elaine f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mellieha, Malta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stay at the excelsior for one night and in my opinion it is well below 5 star standards.

On arrival at the hotel the receptionist informed us that the minibar was empty, a/c in the room was not working and one can easily excess neighboring balconies and rooms. Furthermore the decor in the room is falling to pieces and dated.

Breakfast was on par with competition. Would recommend the Phoenicia hotel just opposite

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a remarkable mix of the good and the bad - it has so much to offer, but keeps letting itself down with serious but avoidable mistakes.

The good:

- Massive rooms and massive bathrooms. My room on the 8th floor was larger than my flat in London, with a huge, comfy bed, desk, arm chair and footstool, chaise lounge, and bureau. The bathroom is lovely - a large free standing shower stall and a roomy, deep bathtub

- Nice in room amenities, as you'd expect in a 5 star: slippers and robes, safe, free water, torch, nice range of toiletries, really soft towels, umbrella, etc.

- The facilities are great: a big outdoor pool, indoor pool and whirlpool (which I never used because it was warm enough to swim outside), access to the sea, lots of bars and restaurants (although half of them were not open during my visit, as it was off season), spa, etc.

- Plus, it's not expensive in the off season: excellent deals are available (although if you book a cheap rate don't expect to get a view or a balcony).

The bad:

- Hotel staff were quite variable: the woman who checked me in was completely indifferent (I've never heard a more perfunctory "Welcome to the hotel") and it certainly wasn't the gracious welcome I expect from a five star. However several other staff (the pool guy, luggage guy) were very polite and gracious, so perhaps I just got someone on a bad day.

- The room needed renovation, especially the carpet which was badly stained. Again, that's something that wouldn't phase me in a one star hotel, but I really expect a five star to replace things a bit sooner than that.

- This is the biggie – housekeeping! Housekeeping hadn't cleaned the bathroom properly before I checked in. There were quite a few dark hairs all over the bathroom floor, plus a visible hair in the shower, and one hair sitting on the middle of the toilet seat – how the hell did they miss that? I cleaned the seat myself before I used it (I'm a bit OCD about knowing a toilet seat is clean before I sit down anyway), but I wasn't about to clean the floor so I just tried not to look at it too closely.

But I'm afraid it wasn't just a one-off slip-up. I stayed 4 nights, and at no point did anyone clean that floor – it just got hairier and hairier as my hairs joined the ones from the previous occupant. The sink and mirror were obviously cleaned every day. The bathtub I wasn't certain about (so I never used it). But that floor was obviously never cleaned. Yuck!

If there had just been the stained carpet and the grumpy check-in desk, I would still have given this hotel a decent rating because of their great facilities, but the cleanliness issue is completely unacceptable. This hotel could be wonderful, but management needs to sort it out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank A-Canadian-in-London
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear A-Canadian-in-London

I thank you for your feedback and on behalf of the team I apologise that we did not meet your expectations. Appreciate if you could email me on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt your details. This will help me identify the Housekeeping team member who was responsible for your room. May I assure that corrective action will be taken immediately. We pride ourselves with the high customer service provided by our team members and unfortunately such an experience is an injustice to the property and the team.

With regards your comments on the stained carpet, I am pleased to inform you that our maintenance team are currently doing the refurbishment of all the rooms and this includes recarpeting. Unfortunately such a programme cannot be done during the peak summer months and we had to postpone it for the low winter months.

Kind regards
Brian
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I went to Malta for 24hours to attended a funeral .
First of all , the welcome that I received from the doormen and the resception was SUPERB ! while I was being checked in I was offered a much welcomed soft drink . Checking in was a very easy and pleasant process.
I entered my room I thought what a lovely room and smelt clean and fresh . I opened the curtains to find a view of a wall and a bush . As I was only going to be there for one night and wasn't a holiday I wasn't to bothered .
Then I began to look around the room closely - I noticed the damaged headboards and the truly filthy carpet .
This is meant to be a 5 star hotel - no hotel of this rating would sell a room in this condition . Truly without exaggeration I have stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels that were no way to this low level standard .
I believe the hotel in under a refebishment programme - fine and understood but the hotel must not sell rooms below a certain standard and this room was diffently was one of them .
The bathroom and bed sheets were immaculate and once again I can't stress enough how FRIENDLY the staff were.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Victor Lawrence d
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed for 5 nights on a half-board basis. it was well worth paying extra for a harbour view room - directly above the hotel marina. It is a big hotel and the corridors are long and dreary! The lifts can be very slow to arrive, and there aren't any staircases (other than fire exits) to most floors.
However, that is the only minor complaint.
Room & balcony very good; meals plentiful and varied. Indoor & outdoor pools of a high standard.
I would not normally stay in such a large hotel but it is in an excellent location so close to the bastions, bus station, and city centre.
All of the staff were cheerful and helpful.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

The problems started from the moment I arrived. My room was already available at 11 am when I arrived which was good. I was in my room for more then half an hour when one of the hotel employees used their key to enter the room without even knocking on the door.
On check-out I had a problem with my airport transfer. I told the concierge that I was expecting a car to come and pick me up. The driver arrived, asked them about me and then left because they did not tell him where I was. I had no other choice but to ask them to organise my airport transfer and had to pay again despite the fact that I was waiting in the lobby right in front their eyes when all that happened.
This is definitely not the service you expect to receive in a 5* hotel. Both staff and hotel management do not care about the welfare of their guests. I would not recommend that hotel to friends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank E T
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear E T

Thank you for sharing your feedback and sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Our housekeeping department has been asked to investigate the case the incident on your first day of arrival. We will make sure that the staff member is informed that the standard operational procedure was not followed and to ensure that such a mistake does not occur again.

I also investigated the matter related to your airport transfer organised by a third party provider. Unfortunately the transport provider did not inform our Concierge desk that he did not meet you and most importantly he was leaving the hotel without you. Such unfortunate incidents are very rare and in such occasions the transport provider informs the desk and sign off the form that he had to leave without the guest. I regret that the Concierge did not make sure that you met the driver and apologise for this.

Notwithstanding the above we look forward for the possibility to host you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior and will make sure that we make up for these two unfortunate incidents.

Kind regards
Brian
Millington, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Needless to say, we returned from our recent trip to Malta with a lingering sense of disappointment. Most of this was hotel-driven - as Valletta itself was beautiful, and we thoroughly enjoyed our independent sightseeing.

We spent a bit extra for the piece of mind of knowing we would stay in a 5-star hotel - booking adjoining rooms for ourselves and our two children. I expected immaculate room decor and cleanliness. Maybe my expectations were out of the ordinary, but I'm still baffled as to how the Excelsior can be considered a 5-star hotel. Beyond the glittery front lobby, the hotel's hallway carpets were stained and in desperate need of stretching (pulling away from the walls, bumps in the carpet, etc.). Both of our rooms had trails of ants in the entry and bathroom areas. Housekeeping was very apologetic and helpful - but ended up spraying the front areas and bathrooms with very potent aerosol insecticide. We were asked not to use the bathroom or open the door for a few hours. I'm pregnant, and our children are very young (one with asthma), and I didn't feel comfortable sleeping in the rooms with lingering chemical odor. The front desk manager tried to be helpful, but all she offered in return was for us to move to a single room on the 9th floor. She insisted it was "Executive level". Only one king bed. Suggestion was made for our 2-year old to just share the bed with us (?!?!?). Remember, we had originally paid for two separate ROOMS with three beds. Since sleeping in the other rooms was not a healthy/feasible choice for us, we had no other choice but to take the single room. Our four-year old ended up sleeping on a rickety fold-up bed; our almost 3-year old in a crib for the first time in over a year.

I have stayed in Executive-level rooms previously (Hilton in Athens, Greece for one...immaculate and impeccable service). Not "exactly" sure how the top-floor rooms at Excelsior qualify as Executive - since there is no open lounge or separate concierge desk? YES - the view was beautiful. But, for a family traveling with two children, that's really the least important feature for us.

As for the overall appearance, our room had cigarette burns on the armchairs, and it was obvious that water had flooded through the patio doors leaving the carpet mildewed (my pregnant nose couldn't stand the smell, either). Questionable, large carpet stains next to the bed and also on the side-table lampshade.

Overall, I'm seriously disappointed that we didn't book elsewhere...and even more disappointed that our last trip before baby's arrival was colored by such a lousy hotel experience. I came home much more exhausted from it all that I was before departing on holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Hotel Phoenicia
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,417 reviews
Casa Ellul
Casa Ellul
#1 of 14 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!