“Excelsior Grand Hotel, Valetta”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Tring
“Excelsior Grand Hotel, Valetta”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Grand Hotel Excelsior, Valetta, Malta
Their blurb goes -
An invitation to the Grand Hotel Excelsior Malta carries with it the promise of superlative service. Their web site states that - “Your stay with us will be like no other…Exuding an overwhelming sense of style and grandeur, the Grand Hotel Excelsior offers 433 Rooms and Suites set over 10 floors, all elegantly appointed with exquisite comforts...Executive Rooms to exceptional Suites with added level of luxury and exclusivity for all your requirements. Featuring either King or twin beds, our larger than average seaview hotel rooms will be your haven away from a busy day. With beds so ‘sinkable’ you’ll never want to wake up, décor so full of gracious style you’ll feel like royalty, and a bathroom so opulent, that pampering yourself takes on a whole new meaning.

When we arrived at our room on the 6th floor the carpet was filthy and had obviously not been vacuumed or shampooed for months and there were bits of dirt from the previous occupants. By the third day it had still not been properly cleaned so we complained and only then was it done, they needed us out of the room for 2 hours.

The towels at one time had been white but have been so well used they are now a grubby shade of white. The toilet paper is the cheapest possible. The bed headboard was worn with some peeling fabric.

They advertise a complimentary car shuttle but it only operates at 10 am and 6 pm. The local buses are well used and have their centre about 300 metres away from the hotel up a very steep slope. The entry to Valetta central and shops is close to the buses, which are recommended. The hotel charges 12 euros for the trip to the bus area if not at 10 am or 6 pm. The hotel should offer more frequent complimentary shuttles. There are many elderly people who would find the walk up and down to the bus station tiresome, and to be charged 24 euros every time, to get to and from central Valetta, is extortionate.

Having said all that, we enjoyed our stay. It is a great hotel in a superb position. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, the restaurant was busy with friendly hard working staff. The breakfast was extensive and good. However the coffee was awful and well stewed in bulk, why not use separate carafes?

It needs more spent on bedroom maintenance and reconsideration of the shuttle service.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

My husband and I spent 7 days at the Excelsior and we had a excellent stay. The staff could not be for friendly and attentive to our needs. We had breakfast their for 3 days (as we wanted to taste the local food) and it was lavished and catered for everyone; the only thing I could fault is that the hot food was not as hot as it should be. We had dinner two evenings there and it was the best food, really delicious and would highly recommend it you are going to Valletta book dinner there :-) We were upgraded and the room although a little tired was spottlessly clean and all the facilities worked as they should. Looking forward to our next holiday at this hotel. The Excelsior is a great spot to visit all the local attractions whether by bus as it is close to the bus station or water taxi,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karen W
Masnuy-Saint-Jean, Belgium
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Our choice of hotel on our first visit to Malta, was the right one. The location of the hotel perfect for exploring Valetta and getting public transport for trips to the rest of the island.
Service throughout the hotel was first class, from arrivals to departures.
The variety of food was excellent, along with the staff and service in both dining rooms. Alan in the dining room certainly made sure of that!
We would highly recommend this hotel for a very pleasant stay whilst in Valetta Malta. We look forward to our visit there next year. Many thanks.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rosemary P
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

very impressed with the entrance and reception area on arrival.
after a short wait for our room we entered our room which was on reception level.
the room was great and very clean , all what i expected as we paid extra for a sea view room.
checked the view out on the balcony as was then slighty dissapointed, overlooking the car park and staff having there break was not my idea of sea view! didnt want to say anything but was really dissappointed when we paid extra for a view.
glad i did , staff was good and 10 minutes later we were moved to a top floor room with a great view .room was just as good.
pool area was great and very clean .
drinks were VERY expensive from the hotel , nearly 14 euros for double jack daniels and coke !! sort of expected this in a 5 star hotel.
breakfast was VERY nice. plenty for all tastes , my only gripe was having to find someone to ask for coffee, 2 days running ,(not a 5 star service when your staying in a 5 star hotel!!) on the monday it was totally different ,was asked on being seated .
i agree with some other reviews , is this a 5 star hotel ?.. mmmm ,no its not , but it is close and a very nice hotel and i would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elaine f
Mellieha, Malta
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stay at the excelsior for one night and in my opinion it is well below 5 star standards.

On arrival at the hotel the receptionist informed us that the minibar was empty, a/c in the room was not working and one can easily excess neighboring balconies and rooms. Furthermore the decor in the room is falling to pieces and dated.

Breakfast was on par with competition. Would recommend the Phoenicia hotel just opposite

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel is a remarkable mix of the good and the bad - it has so much to offer, but keeps letting itself down with serious but avoidable mistakes.

The good:

- Massive rooms and massive bathrooms. My room on the 8th floor was larger than my flat in London, with a huge, comfy bed, desk, arm chair and footstool, chaise lounge, and bureau. The bathroom is lovely - a large free standing shower stall and a roomy, deep bathtub

- Nice in room amenities, as you'd expect in a 5 star: slippers and robes, safe, free water, torch, nice range of toiletries, really soft towels, umbrella, etc.

- The facilities are great: a big outdoor pool, indoor pool and whirlpool (which I never used because it was warm enough to swim outside), access to the sea, lots of bars and restaurants (although half of them were not open during my visit, as it was off season), spa, etc.

- Plus, it's not expensive in the off season: excellent deals are available (although if you book a cheap rate don't expect to get a view or a balcony).

The bad:

- Hotel staff were quite variable: the woman who checked me in was completely indifferent (I've never heard a more perfunctory "Welcome to the hotel") and it certainly wasn't the gracious welcome I expect from a five star. However several other staff (the pool guy, luggage guy) were very polite and gracious, so perhaps I just got someone on a bad day.

- The room needed renovation, especially the carpet which was badly stained. Again, that's something that wouldn't phase me in a one star hotel, but I really expect a five star to replace things a bit sooner than that.

- This is the biggie – housekeeping! Housekeeping hadn't cleaned the bathroom properly before I checked in. There were quite a few dark hairs all over the bathroom floor, plus a visible hair in the shower, and one hair sitting on the middle of the toilet seat – how the hell did they miss that? I cleaned the seat myself before I used it (I'm a bit OCD about knowing a toilet seat is clean before I sit down anyway), but I wasn't about to clean the floor so I just tried not to look at it too closely.

But I'm afraid it wasn't just a one-off slip-up. I stayed 4 nights, and at no point did anyone clean that floor – it just got hairier and hairier as my hairs joined the ones from the previous occupant. The sink and mirror were obviously cleaned every day. The bathtub I wasn't certain about (so I never used it). But that floor was obviously never cleaned. Yuck!

If there had just been the stained carpet and the grumpy check-in desk, I would still have given this hotel a decent rating because of their great facilities, but the cleanliness issue is completely unacceptable. This hotel could be wonderful, but management needs to sort it out.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank A-Canadian-in-London
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear A-Canadian-in-London

I thank you for your feedback and on behalf of the team I apologise that we did not meet your expectations. Appreciate if you could email me on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt your details. This will help me identify the Housekeeping team member who was responsible for your room. May I assure that corrective action will be taken immediately. We pride ourselves with the high customer service provided by our team members and unfortunately such an experience is an injustice to the property and the team.

With regards your comments on the stained carpet, I am pleased to inform you that our maintenance team are currently doing the refurbishment of all the rooms and this includes recarpeting. Unfortunately such a programme cannot be done during the peak summer months and we had to postpone it for the low winter months.

Kind regards
Brian
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I went to Malta for 24hours to attended a funeral .
First of all , the welcome that I received from the doormen and the resception was SUPERB ! while I was being checked in I was offered a much welcomed soft drink . Checking in was a very easy and pleasant process.
I entered my room I thought what a lovely room and smelt clean and fresh . I opened the curtains to find a view of a wall and a bush . As I was only going to be there for one night and wasn't a holiday I wasn't to bothered .
Then I began to look around the room closely - I noticed the damaged headboards and the truly filthy carpet .
This is meant to be a 5 star hotel - no hotel of this rating would sell a room in this condition . Truly without exaggeration I have stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels that were no way to this low level standard .
I believe the hotel in under a refebishment programme - fine and understood but the hotel must not sell rooms below a certain standard and this room was diffently was one of them .
The bathroom and bed sheets were immaculate and once again I can't stress enough how FRIENDLY the staff were.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Victor Lawrence d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,482 reviews
Casa Ellul
Casa Ellul
#1 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!