Excelsior Grand Hotel
Casa Ellul(Valletta)
British Hotel(Valletta)
  • Restaurant
4,365 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive stardeluxe roomthe busconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedssteep hillmanoel islandthe hotel offerspublic areasmarsamxett harbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I was looking forward to my stay here but in many ways found it disappointing.
On the positive side: The hotel itself was as presented on the web, fabulous reception area and stunning views over the bay and Villetta. Rooms were quite spacious, adequate breakfast selection and again the breakfast room offered spectacular views. The gym was well equipped with standard resistance machines and some free weights.
Down side: I found the staff quite stuffy, indoor pool was closed, you had to pre-order drinks for your mini bar - something I have never experienced in other hotels), and although there was a wide screen Tv in the room - very little choice of channels and no movies. BUT the worst thing for me was having been to the gym for a pre-breakfast work-out before I flew back to the Uk, on my return I found there was no water in my room for washing or showering. On ringing Reception, I was told that it would be restored with 30 mins. I duly went to breakfast but on return - still no water. On checking out, I had to ask for some compensation which was given - albeit quite reluctantly and to be hones insufficient to compensate for the inconvenience.
Would I stay there again - no!

Room Tip: I had an Executive Room with City views. The views across the bay are so beautiful that for anyone thinking of staying, I would recommend upgrading to a sea view room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed here from nov 28-dec 1, 2013 . Beautiful hotel with perfect view of the harbour. Booked with booking.com but they didn't have our room with two beds so upgraded us. Thanks to Derrick that carried our luggage to our room after our first room was one bed. Then room service on a rolling cart. Only bad thing was my friend left her phone in the cab and it was stolen and they tried to hack it. Francesca tried to track it down but with no luck. Front desk was helpfull. Everyone spoke English and was so helpful. Oh do not drink the tap water only bottled water in malta.

Room Tip: Harbour view with balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mari D
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Only had one night here and did not use all the amenities. Liked the location and the staff was very attentive. They confirmed a dinner location in Valletta that was excellent. The hotel would have received 5 stars except for the funky shower door that was blocked by the sink / toilet combination... You have to squirm around to just get in and out of the shower.... Who designs bathrooms like this????

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Our first stay in Valletta for 4 nights before moving on to St Julians.

Great hotel and a lovely room with a nice sea view. Would definitely recommend paying extra for sea view if that is important .

Very nice breakfast with the usual selection. All nicely cooked and prepared and chef to cook eggs, waffles and pancakes to order.

There probably aren't many pool areas with such an amazing view of the harbour area - stunning.

About a 5 minute walk up a hill or a shortcut up the steps to the edge of the city centre. Nowhere near as bad as expected after reading some reviews .

Can't wait to return to this great hotel in a great city.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Hotel may be 5 star but rooms are definitely not - need quite a bit of updating. For instance the leather bed head was very torn and peeling off. The carpet was well past its sell by date and very stained - thank goodness they gave us slippers so we did not have to walk on it. Soft furnishings stained and curtain torn. Maybe we were given a poor room and maybe some others have been modernised, I don't know - but we did have a sea view upgrade!! White towels were definitely grey and flannels in short supply. Having said that its in a superb position, on the sea, 5 minutes walk to Valletta where there are superb restaurants. Great pool and gym adequate. Wonderful staff. Will go back for the location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 990Foodie
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear 990Foodie,

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor users. Our staff and their commitment towards our esteemed guests is our pride as our objective is to make feel at home.

With regards your comments on the room, I am pleased to inform you that the hotel is currently refurbishing all of its rooms and I am sure that you will experience the new ambiance during your next visit.

We look forward to host you again in the near future

Kind regards