Excelsior Grand Hotel
British Hotel(Valletta)
  • Restaurant
The Coleridge(Valletta)
4,365 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive stardeluxe roomthe busconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedssteep hillmanoel islandthe hotel offerspublic areasmarsamxett harbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My mother and I arrived at about 1am. We were given a key to the room. On arrival in the room we found cracked tiles and dirty carpet along with tatty finish to many items. The room was worn out!!! We asked for another room. After being shown approximately 10 rooms, all in terrible condition, we found one that at least had fewer stains on the carpet. In all this time, we were not apologised to and neither offered tea or anything. The hotel is having sections renovated though we saw no signs of this. We found the hotel wifi very poor except in the lobby area. Wifi was even poor in the dinning room at breakfast. Staff were polite but no management visited us throughout our stay or sent a letter of apology. When I mentioned this on checkout, the guest relations told me that the day after check in they tried me. I told her if she hadn't left a message I wouldn't know that she had tried or that I should return her call. Quite below the standard of a 5*luxe hotel from the I prefer group. No goodies in the room. Very basic. How sad. When I saw the Hilton, I was sorry we hadn't stayed there. I overheard the manager stating that the hotel had a very good January!! I would be very surprised if I saw their booking system that this was so!! The breakfast was of an excellent standard with fresh food and plenty to chose.

Room Tip: Look at the room you are being allocated before you accept it
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
11  Thank feliceh
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The view of the harbour from my room was spectacular. The room, bathroom and bed are very generously sized and comfortable. There is a good desk area for working in the room. You are within walking distance from the central area of Valetta. However, the wifi wasn't very strong, either in the room or the restaurant. Overall, the style of the hotel is the American notion of "luxury" from 20 years ago. Although I was there for a few days, it was impossible to arrange any spa treatments because of restricted availability - so don't be too tempted by the "menu" of spa services!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I should have realised that it isn't possible to get a 5 star hotel at such a reasonable price, even in January. The problems started when we checked in. Having booked online with Agoda, we arrived to be informed that the booking was only for one person, and that we'd have to pay an additional €35 per night for the second person. This wasn't made clear when we booked, which I felt to be a bit disingenuous, even if it is in the small print of the booking confirmation - look out for this if you book!

The rooms themselves are fine - a decent size, well furnished and comfortable. However, on the first morning, we went out for an early run, came back and our room key didn't work. We went to reception, and waited 15 minutes for maintenance to come and let us in (we were clearly uncomfortable having been running in the rain, but I won't blame the hotel for the wet weather!) once back in the room, the maintenance man promised to bring us a new key, but that never materialised. We went for breakfast, came back and once again couldn't get into our room. Back to reception, and this time we waited 15 minutes for security to bring a manual key, and when they did, it was for the wrong room. At this point we called for the manager, who came and let us into our room again. When we got in, we found a new key on the desk, which we assumed had been left by the maintenance man. However, we later discovered that it hd been reception who, while we were stood at the reception desk, had tried a new key, left it in the room, and not told us what they had done. Seriously - left the working key locked in the room!

We all know that stuff happens, but what sets good hotels apart is how they are dealt with, and this hotel seriously let itself down when the reception staff started arguing that they had told us they had got into the room.

There have been other issues with the hotel - dirty cutlery and table settings at breakfast, the lack of an a la carte restaurant and the fact that you can't use the changing rooms in the pool / gym unless you're a spa member really put this hotel some way short of its 5 star status.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jon L
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Jon L

Whilst thanking you for your feedback, may I assure you that all points raised have been discussed with the respective operational departments and corrective action has been taken. On behalf of the team I apologise for the inconvenience you experienced in relation to the room key.

With regards your comment on the dining options please note that we do offer an extensive a la carte menu at Admirals' Landing and just launched our award winning winter menu.

I also noted your concern vis-a-vis the rate structure on Agoda . Kindly note that all our online rates are filed on all online booking engines on the basis of room occupancy. In addition online booking sites such as Agoda even use the graphical icon of 1 or 2 persons to help the user identify the maximum number of persons allowed in the room. This graphical content is in additional to the detailed text that support each rate plan.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.

Kind regards
Brian

Reviewed 23 January 2014

A perfect stay, with everything you need! The staff is lovely and very service minded. Breakfast is amazing, including the service a special thanks to Eileen! It’s always close to relaxing and/or the gym.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It was very unpleasant surprise and absolutely unacceptable for a such high-level hotel!
We chose this hotel especially for my Daddy's anniversary (50 y.o.!). Besides the fact that hotel gets information about the date of birth during check-in we draw special attention to the staff at the reception - because it was really important ocassion for our family. To have unforgettable holidays we even took a significant upgrade of the room right during check-in!
So guess what compliment did my Daddy get at the date of anniversary? Just a bottle of rather chip and bad tasted wine!!! No even fruits!!! I wouldn't pay attention to it in 3*-4* hotels. But it's impermissibly for high-quality 5* hotel!
But the reaction of the hotel managment to our disappointment was even more frustraited! When I told all these to Client Service manager the reaction was smth like standart "Thank you, your opinion is very important for us". Absolutely no personal attitude! I believe that there are not so much anniversaries at one moment in the hotel and small compliments like fruits or taxi to airport or discount for next stay cost almost nothing to such hotels. But we get nothing but unpleasant aftertaste.
Nice interior, good view from the window and rich breakfast are no enough to be one the best hotels!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family