“definitely a 5 star hotel”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Israel
“definitely a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Reading previous reviews I had some concerns. After staying here for 4 nights I have to state that the Grand Excelsior is a 5 star hotel by all means. Staff is extremely friendly and attentive. Our room on the reception and lobby floor was large and spacious, with a great view of the harbor. Room was cleaned and serviced twice daily. However, they could refresh their towels inventory since those we used have seen better days. The bathroom was modern and large. It is a bit difficult to adjust the right temperature of the water. One has to be very careful since the "hot" is extremely strong and almost boiling. Internet connection was good in our room and in other areas of the hotel. TV set although flat was a bit outdated and not HD. But we did not come to Malta to watch TV. Breakfast buffet is tasty and varied. If we ever come to Malta again, we will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Be careful when adjusting the water temperature in the bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Urido

Many thanks for sharing your experience at the Grand Hotel Excelsior with other Trip Advisor users. Your comments will be evaluated by our Operations team. Such feedback is crucial in our quest to always improve the guest experience. I am very pleased to note your comment with regards the wi-fi. At the end of February we launched our new wi-fi system that guarantees wi-fi in all 439 rooms. Each room has its own wi-fi modem and we are proud to be the first hotel that offers such a system. We look forward to welcome you again in the very near future especially when there are now 4 flights a week between Tel Aviv and Malta.

Brian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I stayed here four nights in early March 2014 in a basic room. It was pleasant and relatively efficient, but not memorable. Staff were responsive if asked specifically for something but could not anticipate needs. The best staff member was the Chinese woman in the good shop who was the only person in my visit that seemed genuinely interested in guests. The breakfast buffet was good. Food in the Harbour bar in the lobby was more expensive than room service. The hotel driver to the airport appeared to want to break the land speed record, and did not get out to open my door. I was not unhappy with my stay, but I was not thrilled either.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael K
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Michael K

Whilst thanking you for sharing with our Trip Advisor users your experience at the Grand Hotel Excelsior appreciate if you could email me on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt your room number and day of departure so that we can investigate further your comments in relation to your airport transfer. We are committed to our guests' safety and would take necessary action if deemed necessary.

With regards your comment related to Harbour View please note that menu items which are identical and available both on the Harbour View menu and also on the Room service menu are priced the same. On the other hand there are Room service menu items that are unique and therefore not available on the Harbour View menu.

We look forward to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The rating seems a bit harsh but the hotel was good and the only choice of rating is average or very good. We stayed here for 7 nights on the sixth floor in a harbour view room with balcony. The view was lovely. The quiet room was spacious with a high ceiling, huge bed and a large bathroom with a bath with a powerful shower over it and a separate shower cubicle with a monsoon shower head. However this was less effective than the over bath shower and the controls needed attention as it was difficult to control the water temperature. As mentioned in many reports the carpet was quite badly stained but it was obvious there was refurbishment going on in some rooms. Lighting was dim and the decor was dated antique style. A great touch was the single red carnation in the bathroom but when this wilted a few days in it was just removed and not replaced. The tv was incredibly slow to change channels. It would good to have more information eg on tv channels, opening hours of pool, local information...

Breakfasts were great with lots of choice and there was always some one on hand to cook fresh omelettes etc. However what did amuse us was the control over where one sat obviously
most guests would like a window and view table but even if we were down early we had to request one other wise we were marched off to some obscure table. It seemed to us that some tables were being unofficially reserved by some guests possibly tipping staff. One morning after gaining a window table we sat there watching while 3 sets of guests ask to sit at a neighbouring table only to be told it was occupied but no one sat at the table for the duration of our breakfast.

The indoor pool was fabulous as was the location to Valletta and the bus station. One drawback to the pool was no changing rooms and we were a bit uncomfortable walking in sight of reception in our gowns to get to the lifts. We did not try the evening buffet as there were so many great places to eat out in Valletta only a 10 minute walk away though the steps up from the hotel kept us fit and could be slippery when wet.

Overall we paid approximately 122 € a night so we feel it was great value for the money. Paying summer rate and with the hotel full we would not have been happy. However the bottom line is we would come back again off season if we could get the same deal.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BerkshireTigger
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It is amazing the variation in so-called 5 star hotels. The Oberoi in Mauritius and the Cheddi Club in Bali are so good they should be 6 star, but the Grand Excelsior doesn't quite make it.

The facilities are what you would hope for with a large hotel but little things bring it down.

Our room was often not serviced till the afternoon; much of the food is buffet; the service in the restaurant is pretty good and with a smile, especially the women, but the men on reception are unsmiling and aloof.

Too often there was a lack of spontaneity to compare with the worldwide customer service we had in Bali for example.

Here's a couple of reasons: we arrived at the breakfast reception one morning. A guy who was clearly a senior restaurant manager approached us and said "my colleagues will serve you in a moment" and walked straight past us. Was he too important to take us to a table himself?

Another: we wanted to sit by the pool on a sunbed but they weren't very comfortable. I went to the person on spa reception and asked "could we have a mattress for our sunbeds please?" "I haven't got any" she said. "Does anybody have any?" "I don't know, I'll ask the pool guy." She rang the pool guy. "No we don't."

Cold, unfriendly, lacking any initiative or spontaneity. Did they honestly expect me to believe they didn't have mattresses for the sunbed or was it too much trouble to get them out from theri winter store?

So there was something missing.

Our room was comfortable but the lighting made it impossible to read in bed unless you were right under the bedside lamp.

We ate in the restaurant on our first evening. The food was OK and we definitely weren't tempted by the buffet. The staff were very friendly but then disappeared for the last hour leaving us to serve our own wine and water. (BTW still water was a ridiculous 5.75 euros; the most expensive in Malta).

The breakfast was very good; checkout and checkin were very efficient and I'm not sorry we didn't stay in the Phoenicia, but the fact that we ate every meal but one and spent most of our time outside the hotel sums it up.

Room Tip: All the rooms except the ones over reception have some view of the harbour but the ones looking over...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rougepierretc
uk
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

After reading some reviews recently I agree the hotel is dated and undergoing refurbishment. However we had a wonderful experience staying here. The breakfast was extremely good.

The rooms are very spacious. We had a room on the 8th floor overlooking the harbour.

All the staff at the hotel are very focused on customer care. They have been the friendliest hotel staff we have ever come across.

The hotel is within easy reach of bus services. Also the ferry. There are many nice restaurants and bars in the surrounding area of Valetta.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights while being on business trip.

Prior to my arrival I have pre-booked the offered hotel airport pick up service (20 EUR/one way) and have received e-mail confirmation. However, upon my arrival I was shocked. Even though I have provided all my flight details - there was no hotel driver at the airport. "Lovely" start of a "5 stars" hotel experience.

After a phone call to the hotel they have organized some 3rd party company (smelly driver) to collect me from the airport and I was seated in the old VW Transporter Van instead of the hotel vehicle.
No apology from the hotel at all, no willingness for full compensation (they have offered me free one way transfer to downtown Valletta next day - worth it 12 EUR) This is shame!

Empty minibar (they fill it just upon individual request), Room was dated, no body lotion in the bathroom.

Breakfast: They charge you extra for shot of espresso! The offered free coffee is not drinkable.

As a frequent hotel guest across the EU countries I am confident that will not give this hotel another opportunity to host me, or I there is no other option - I will be very very hesitant to go back.

Lack of customer service, service training and 'can do' attitude of staff members needed!

Room Tip: Ask for sea newly refurbished room. Maybe you will be lucky and will get one!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Lucas_616
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Lucas 616

Whilst thanking you for your review may I take the opportunity to clarify a number of points.

a) The Hotel operates its own 7 car private chauffeur fleet and we only use third party contractor when there is the eventuality that due to operational reasons our guests will not be serviced on time. The scope of operating our own chauffeur service is exactly to ensure that the high standards of service are maintained. It is unfortunate that on the day our third party contractor did not rise to the occasion. We have already informed him about this complaint and we are considering further action.

b) Through the information you provided we were able to identify the airport transfer in question and who operated the transfer. The transfer was operated with a new Mercedes Benz van (and not an Old VW transporter) which arrived at the airport on the 23 FEB at 2135. Given that the flight arrived slightly earlier than scheduled the driver did not meet you immediately. The moment you informed the transport desk, our staff communicated immediately with the contractor, informing him that you were already at the arrivals lounge. In fact at 2204 the van left the airport and your arrived at our hotel at 2214. All this data was obtained through the Transport Desk Data Tracker that tracks the movement of all our vehicles.

Kindly note that we offer you the free transfer to Valletta due to the fact that you informed our staff that you had a number of scheduled meetings in the capital city. In fact you did take up the offer and used the service the next day.

c) We offer our guests the possibility to personalise their minibar and this explains why it was empty upon arrival. In fact at check-in all guests are presented with a Mini-Bar form so that they can order the items they require during their stay.

d) With regards the body lotion, we apologise that this was not available upon arrival and we have informed Housekeeping so that corrective action is taken.

e) Your comments on the coffee and espresso have also been noted and will be considered by our Operations department.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I don't believe in complaining in public, if I haven't made my point in private but this hotel may have been 5* and may be again, but at the moment it is not. I visited Malta with friends, one of whom was doing some business and the whole group was staying in the hotel which was why we did too and we had a wonderful first visit to the island. However, certain aspects left a lot to be desired. My room was fine - basic, but all the facilities were there. However, I have to say that the carpet was really dirty - I was very glad of the slippers provided to walk around the room. No point in saying 'we are undergoing a period of refurbishment' as any hotel this size will have a carpet shampooer and it should be done as a matter of course. There was a hole on the headboard where the material had simply rubbed away (?) - hopefully that will be recovered by the refurb.
The biggest gripe I had was when my friends were attending a business dinner one night and I had a lovely evening on Room Service and a movie planned. My first choice of dinner wasn't available. my second choice of Gnocchi and a Tomato and Mozzarella salad was quite simply inedible. I asked for this to be taken away which they did, offering me a glass or even a bottle of wine. I said that I would just stick with the glass of wine I had. They said of course they wouldn't charge me for dinner - I said thank you! They didn't charge for dinner, they did charge for he wine. I asked for someone to show me how to get a movie as I had followed the instructions in the Guest Directory and couldn't make it work. Nor could the two operatives who came to my room shortly thereafter. Then I got a call saying sorry, there are no movies available at present. A short, dubbed, documentary on drug taking and it's effect on different people found me wishing I could volunteer for the sequel before turning out my light and sleeping!
So nothing disastrous - just a really disappointing stay for a hotelier who was looking forward to being spoiled.

Room Tip: Ask for one that had already been refurbished!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Killiecrankie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
#4 of 15 in Valletta
La Falconeria
La Falconeria
#3 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!