The moment I entered this hotel I thought I was in Wes Andersons' latest movie "Grand Budapest Hotel": when you enter the hotel you are 'greeted' by two gigantic stair cases and anonymous art and sculptures from times long ago.
The hotel is definitely overstaffed:
* There is a guy behind a gigantic desk, who's job is "transportation officer" - taking care of cabs. Well, Malta isn't that big. They charge you 5 euro extra for (the normally 15 euro) trip to the airport, but hey, your order is processed by a real transportation officer behind a pompous wooden desk.
* The breakfast room has one person dedicated to check you room number - which is normal - but the same person decides where you can sit in the gigantic room. He slowly walks to one of the empty tables, first assessing who you are: would you be a person that accepts to sit near the kitchen or should he give you a better table? When I was dressed casually, the first two days, I got a 'bad' table. When my conference started and I was all dressed up, I was treated like a king :)
* I had to prepare workshops in my room. At the start of the evening, someone knocks on every door, asking if you need anything and if you say no, you get a little chocolate anyway.
* When arriving in the middle of the night, there were still four people at the frontdesk. They couldn't find my reservation because they filed me away under my first name - which took 30 minutes to find out.
All the art and decorations seem to be from a period long ago. Probably too long. My pulpit just broke in pieces when I leaned on it, made a joke that I did this to emphasise my point, but it was already broken.
The food is served on glamorous platters , but the food itself doesn't match the glamour.
But still, I had a great stay. The people were nice. The beds were good. The price of 95 euro for a room with sea view is even acceptable for a standard hotel, so no complaints here. They fixed the bad WiFi last week: speed is now ok (although I recommend you take a 2 km walk to the next Vodafone store an pay 25 euro for a 10 Gig internet only sim card that you can use for 30 days).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Hotel Excelsior Malta is a deluxe, 5-star resort situated within the sixteenth century fortifications of Malta’s capital city, Valletta - a UNESCO World Heritage site. The Excelsior commands the island’s premier waterfront location offering breathtaking sea views of Marsamxett Harbour and Manoel Island. As a member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts, the hotel exceeds expectations on the basis of its 5-star service excellence. All deluxe rooms and suites enjoy a harmonious blend of classic and contemporary design mixed with modern 5-star convenience including multi-channel flat screen TV. Spread over ten levels, three of which are executive floors, most of the rooms and suites overlook stunning harbour views. The Excelsior’s facilities include a private 30-berth marina, large outdoor and indoor swimming pools, health & beauty centre and 3 food and beverage outlets. The Excelsior offers versatile conference & banqueting facilities, fourteen flexible venues, a number of which have natural daylight - an ideal environment for business meetings, conferences and other events. Near to the Excelsior is the Mediterranean Conference Centre. This historical building enhances the Excelsior’s conference potential with an auditorium capacity for up to one thousand four hundred delegates. The Grand Hotel Excelsior opened its doors to its first guests on the 10th September 2007. Right from the start it was very clear that the product and service offerings were to be of a superior nature. The hotel prides itself in attracting and retaining a faithful following of leisure and business guests as well as prominent international personalities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Excelsior Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Grand Valletta
- Hotel Excelsior Grand
- Excelsior Grand Hotel Malta/Valletta