“Reception/Concierge” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Valletta
London, United Kingdom
“Reception/Concierge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Be warned - on arrival you will be asked for a Euro 200 deposit per person against the mini bar and other bills. If you use a debit card you are liable to bank rates/fluctuation. This deposit is not mentioned on their web page (well not that I could see) so came as a shock. Check in and out very tedious. Concierge staff not particularly helpful.

Wonderful breakfast catering for all tastes. Rooms spacious. Pool area very nice. Hotel very close to centre of town. I would recommend the hotel but cannot rate it any higher until they sort out the reception/concierge staff which lets the hotel down badly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank hannibalh01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (909)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have revisited this hotel due to.it's,excellent service, helpful and friendly staff but above all its location, 10 minutes,walk into Valletta, the bus station, tour stops and the harbour. The hotel faces,a creek full.of ships of all sizes, movement all the time, with the sun on the pool and beach areas,all.day.
The reception area, dining rooms and bars,are all.well maintained, clean, with friendly experienced staff. The rooms are large, comfortable and kept vary clean. Toiletries, dressing gowns hair dryer and umbrella,all there and the maids happy to.give me extra coffee and milk. Water two bottles every day for free. Towels changed as you want. Yes the rooms are looking tired but there is a rolling programme of refurbishment. Mr Pace, the Reservation Manager, was happy by email, to explain the various types of rooms and location, very helpful in choosing to see the setting sun and good views. The fun by room,run by Paul.and Sonia, is huge,comfortable and well staffed. Breakfast is tremendous, all choices and tastes catered for with attentive staff. Beach towels are provided free daily. The pool area is pressure cleaned daily and all.beds cleaned. The beach area is cleaned and brushed daily. Luke the pool.man, is always ready to.site sun umbrellas. The pool.bar provided good snack.lunch with views over the creek.
Only gripe using plastic cutlery to.cut meat and cheese is not very nice.
We come to have a comfortable, clean room, with the standard of a good hotel, the use of a clean.pool and subnets that get lots of Sun. The bonus is being able to.swim in the sea.
This hotel.is so.close to.restaurants, bars,cultural buildings, shops buses Tec that this makes this hotel a great location for a holiday.

Room Tip: Paying for a deluxe room.with sea view is well worth it. A terrace room.has a big terrace, table and...
3 Thank blondie13
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

we stayed in this "5" star? hotel in May 2014, and have mixed feeling with regards to quality of service. The hotel is indeed very comfortable and elegant and the service staff very good and attentive. However I believe the reception and conceriege staff where less than helpful.

We arrived at 11am in the morning and told no room is available until 3 pm which I can understand to a degree, however I find it hard to believe all rooms become available at the same time. We wasted a day waiting around and eventually got allocated a room at 4.15pm after several enquiries at the check in desk if our room was ready. For a 5 star hotel not to be able to get in touch with the cleaning staff and re-direct the resource for guests already arrived is beyond me.

We were told the room was an upgrade- I just wonder what the non upgrade would have been like-as the room was disappointing to say the least. Our view from room 103 was a building or tank and a solid stone wall, no outlook at all. After complaining we were told that the hotel was 100% booked, a claim I find hard to believe so early in the season, and no other rooms were available. As a well travelled couple having stayed in numerous hotels you know when a hotell is full and this was certainly wasn't. If we wanted to pay 35euros a night more maybe a room could be found!!

Another concern was the 91 steps to and from the hotel and the inability of the staff to open the rear exit door called the Tea Terrace to save the guests having to go up the 91 steps only yo descend back down the steep hill outside to access the Sliema Ferry. We requested twice to gain access this way and were refused on security argument-nonsense.

I overall would not recommend this hotel for only guests.

Room Tip: all rooms 101-120, 201-220, 301-320, 401-420 look out to the same bleak wall.
3 Thank Ronqua
Lancing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We paid the extra to have a full sea view and although it was expensive, it was worth it. We had the 9th floor on the corner - 914 and it was a huge room with a big balcony. The only downside is that there is no privacy between you and the next balcony.
The room was well serviced throughout our stay and they offered a turn down service every evening.
The decor was lovely, although the beige carpet was a bit grubby in places, but that was to be expected being beige!
Breakfast on our first morning was a shambles. We went down the 4th floor only to be told they were full (though it didn't look like it) and to go up to the restaurant on the 5th floor. Up we went only to be told to go down to the 4th floor as they were full (again it didn't look like it). We told them we had just come from there and were sent up here, but they told us we would have to go down again and they would sort it out. We did eventually get breakfast, on the 4th floor, but it wasn't a good start to our first full day. The food was excellent though with a huge choice, although it can be a bit of a free for all when it is busy.
They also seem to have a lot of meetings or conferences and appear to include breakfast with this as there were a look of people one particular morning having breakfast that were going down to a meeting afterwards. This caused a long wait for the paying guest but they didn't open the 5th floor restaurant to cope with this for some reason.
We didn't eat in the restaurants but had some food in the bar, which was exceptional and a lot of it!
The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, you couldn't fault them on this.
A good location, even if you do have a lot of steps to walk up to get to the bus station, we didn't see it as a problem though. You can also walk down the hill to the Sliema ferry, so a good location for that too.

Floriana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is not a 5* hotel. Looking tired and worn. Several items scratched and broken and carpets dirty while other items very worn. Do not be deceived by the courtesy car offer. This is just a taxi service that will cost you every time. There are 90 steps to climb before you can reach the entrance to the hotel and then another climb into Valletta. There is no other entrance or exit. The staff however were great and very helpful. The pool area was very clean with plenty of sun beds. The air conditioning is very noisy but is needed for the heat.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Scotty907

Many thanks for your feedback. We are disappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations and we do hope that we will have another opportunity to host you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior and make your visit a memorable one.

With regards the room furniture and carpets please note that we are currently refurbishing all 439 rooms and we are now in the final stages. The programme had to be stopped temporarily due to the busy summer season as we make sure that the works do not disrupt our guests.

Kindly note that we do offer a complimentary courtesy transfer to/from Valletta at 10am and at 6pm. The courtesy transfer can be booked with our Transport desk.

We do look forward to welcome you again in the near future and should you require any assistance please do contact me on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt

Kind regards
Brian
Podgorica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I am very disappointed by this hotel - both accommodation and service which do not do any good to this hotel. I stayed there as a member of a high-level state delegation expecting a high-class service, however, what I got was rather mediocre.
First of all, you cannot get a room before 3 pm, no matter if you are a VIP guest or not. Second of all, my room looked as if it was from the 80s - outdated and old furniture, not nice at all. The room was smelly and needed some serious refurbishment - toilet was broken twice, wouldn't flush water first and then dirty water would stay in it for hours. I had to complain twice before the problem was solved. Rooms seem to be pre-assigned so that you cannot change your room even if they have another one available. My room had a street view and was very noisy - I had no decent sleep for three nights. However, my bed was really comfortable and bedlinen was clean. There is a large safe deposit box in the wardrobe, which is good. They changed towels on the daily basis and that part of the service was just fine - however, that is really a minimum anyone expects from a 5 star hotel. On the other hand, there was not even a complimentary bottle of water in my room upon my arrival and I had to go out of the hotel at night to buy it - is there a need to mention that it was "A luxury" room? The fridge was completely empty although they charged me a down-payment of 150 euros for 3 nights for any use of a mini-bar! Hello, which mini-bar are we talking about??? Only breakfast was really good - I have no complaints about that. The reception staff were helpful as much as they could and readily provided electricity socket adapters (sockets are the same as in the UK, bear that in mind). However,I was astonished to hear at the end of my stay that my lunch package (instead of the 3rd breakfast as I was on a BB arrangement) was to be charged additional 12 euros as 'a room-service'- which room service when I was ordering a lunch i.e. breakfast package as I had to depart early in the morning? That was outrageous and I gave up on that idea - I have been in many luxurious hotels in the world and always got a free of charge lunch box in case of an early check-out before breakfast time as they realized that breakfast was in fact paid for. Sadly enough, that is not the case in this hotel. I did not have time to use the pool, which seemed OK or to go sunbathing. My colleagues were disappointed with the room service food quality and cleaning ladies who woke them up twice in the afternoon in order to clean their rooms. Overall, I am positive that you can find a more reasonably priced hotel with a better accommodation and service than this one. If they do not want to lose any stars, they should seriously start thinking about refurbishment and staff training.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dragon_girl67
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Dragon_girl67

Whilst thanking you for your feedback, we do apologise that we did not meet your expectations. On the other hand I would like to point out the following:

The hotel policy states that check-in starts at 3pm. Notwithstanding we do our utmost to check-in guests if they arrive earlier. This is very much dependent on room availability on the day. Unfortunately on the day in question the hotel was completely full due to a pan-European conference. We consider all of our guests as VIPs.Upon your arrival at around noon you were greeted by our Corporate Sales Manager and when the rooms where ready he personally went down to the pool deck to hand you the keys.

We do apologise if the room was not to your expectations. The style of the hotel is very classical and this is reflected in the furniture. Other reviewers have highly recommended the room amenities. During the winter months initiated the renovation of all rooms and will recommence the programme as from next November.

According to our records you requested Maintenance Assistance on 14th May at 11.11 and the Maintenance team completed the job at 1143 hours.

Our standard is to offer complimentary mineral water in the room. This is replenished every day. With regards the mini-bar we offer a flexible mini-bar service. Upon check-in the guest is given a mini-bar offer so that s/he can choose the mini-bar items and this delivered to the room. The payment of EUR150 was not for the use of the mini-bar but in order to give you the flexibility to pay all charges for all services consumed during your stay at time of check-out and not to pay cash for every purchase.

With regards to the lunch box please note that the hotel offers a generous breakfast trolley service at the Harbour View Bar from 430am onwards. This explains why we do not offer a free lunch box service.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards
Brian
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Around 100 of my company from across the globe descended on the Grand Hotel Excelsior for our annual conference.
Our flight from the UK was very delayed and we didnt get to the hotel till nearly 2am but the pleasant welcome and orange juice restored our spirits. Rooms very pleasant, good sized bathroom, wifi good which was a relief as I thought it was only in communal areas. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice but I couldn't bring myself to try the smoked swordfish that early in the morning.
We also went to the pool, bracing sloped quite steeply but very relaxing and plenty of sunbeds.
The conference facilities were fine, lunch was a bit of a melee and was pretty boring, best part was the berry mousse for dessert.
Check-out efficient.
Location good, had a business dinner in Valetta at Guze which was nice and close. Also went to the ferry port and over to Sliema.
Recommended hotel, would definitely stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Hotel Phoenicia
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,351 reviews

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!