“5 Star ?”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Birmingham
“5 Star ?”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is a great hotel but flawed too many times to meet normal 5 star classification.

Lets start with with what's good and there are many things:

Staff are very helpful, though issues are not always addressed. Breakfast is extensive and good quality, though sometimes a little lukewarm for a 5 star hotel. We had a seaview which was fantastic but you pay for it. The swimming pool and surrounding area was very good, when not being interrupted by wedding party preparations.

The not so good
Over weekends there are wedding parties, a number on both Saturday and Sunday. This means the pool area and shaded areas are continually interrupted by team of staff setting up areas, dropping drawing pins! and clearing beds toward 6.00pm to 'get ready' for the evening events. The room cleaning was very delayed over this period, I don't expect to wait until 5.00pm to have my room cleaned, when I'm paying more than Euro 200 for b/b. Not that I wanted it but turn down service didn't happen either. I booked a car to meet us from the airport, it didn't arrive so I had to arrange via hotel to share with another couple, we were only charged Euro 10 for this trip though

so in conclusion - this is a good hotel, with great views, not cheap and appears to lose sight of its other customers during periods when weddings are on. I suggest you check on wedding parties prior to booking and avoid these periods. Its a very good 4 star, though not a 5 star

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are best but you pay a significant premium for them
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Biker88,

On behalf of the Excelsior team I thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor users. It is a great satisfaction to note that our team members were helpful and hospitable. Your comments related to the breakfast has been shared with our Food & Beverage department so that corrective action is taken.

We do apologise for the fact that your our private chauffeur did not make it on time to the airport.

May I also assure you that all necessary measures are taken when preparing for outdoor events so as to minimise any inconvenience to our inhouse guests. But will still take up the matter with Operations so as to look into the ways how to minimise further any inconvenience.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. I invite you to contact me directly via email on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt and it will be great pleasure to assist you with your travel requirements.

Brian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Arrived and greeted with slow check in. I was given a room in a loud area of the hotel near maintenance facilities with a ground level location directly beside the public footpath. I advised reception location of the room was unacceptable for noise and safety reasons and that I has requested a quiet room. I was required to pay an upgrade fee of about 50 Euros to get a room with a better location. After moving my possessions to my new room I was able to relax for the rest of the evening.

The next morning when I woke up the water ran dark brown and stopped with absolutely no water pressure. Front desk advised me plumbing repairs were being made in the hotel and the entire facility was with no water! I asked how long this would be going on and was told they had no idea. I went down and had breakfast. While the selection was ok the quality was lacking. The yogurt had an odd taste and texture and the egg yolks were a cloudy whitish yellow that I had never seen before and tasted strange so I didn't eat either the egg or the yogurt. When I returned to my room I had low water pressure but the water was very muddy. When I called the front desk advising what I was suppose to do for my shower before I left the stated the water was safe for bathing! I wasn't going to take a muddy shower!

Upon check out I demanded the upgrade fee be waived for the lack of running water in the morning and was told that was not an option. I was astounded as I honestly felt it was a fair request. I asked what the staff was willing to do for the failure of the water system and was told nothing would be credited back to me as I stayed in the room and could have showered in the muddy water. I demanded to speak to a manager and after waiting 10 minutes I was told the manager offered me a half price transport to the airport. After informing reception staff this was unacceptable and demanding again to speak with the manager I was told the best that could be done is to provide me free airport transport (which I didn't request) and staff still refused to provide me with the managers name or contact details.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank cxbonne
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear cxbonne,

Whilst thanking you for the feedback, may I ask you to email me directly your personal details and stay dates via email so that I can investigate further. On behalf of the team I do apologise for the inconvenience and it is a concern that we did not meet your expectations. I look forward to receive your email on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a large 60/70s style concrete 9 storey hotel that enjoys a truly superb location and features wide, spacious public areas, corridors and bedrooms. The Executive rooms with large terraces are large, and well furnished. Wi-Fi throughout the Hotel and it's outdoor areas is as good as we have experienced anywhere.

The Chauffeured transport and tours are a definite plus, if a tad expensive. The Pool and Spa areas are very large, well equipped, clean and there is also the novelty of a small man made beach on the harbourside with its own boundaried swimming area - but beware Malta has currently a plague of jellyfish and great care should be taken with regard to sea-swimming.

The breakfast room/service seriously let this hotel down, it's chaotic!, but the food and variety of it are generally very good.

Also Housekeeping, they didn't get very much right at all!

But overall with the location the terraces, the aquatic facilities we rate this a 4*, but it could with attention to some of its weaknesses soon work itself back to the 5* with which it promotes itself

Room Tip: The 9th and 10th floor Deluxe rooms with harbour facing terraces are spacious, well equipped and fur...
Sunderland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Having read all of the previous reviews both good and bad prior to booking this hotel we decided to give it a go and book a weeks holiday for our wedding anniversary celebration.

Our deluxe room was exactly as I had wished for and all of the restaurants and facilities as you would expect for a 4/5 star hotel. All staff in the public areas and room cleaners etc could not have been more friendly.

Where the hotel does let itself down very slightly is the external appearance on the harbour side where the walls are in some places very water stained and could do with a make over or blast clean.

Leaving the best to last the location of the hotel is stunning overlooking the harbour, marina area and Silema beyond.

We will definitely be returning to the Grand Excelsior.

1 Thank bill d
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I come to Malta every month; and now and ten stay at the Excelsior. I never had time to draft a review, but here it is:

The hotel claims to be a five star. Well, what can you expect from a five star when you only pay EUR 140 per night. It is only a five star on the main door. As soon as you enter, you will notice a really outdated and tired indoor. The rooms are old english style, and also look totally outdated. A number of things in the room do not work properly. We ordered an additional bed ofr our child. the mattress must have been already used during the second world war. Funny enough, this hotel is not that old. Well as I said, when you pay EUR 140, you cannot expect much, and this is a choice you must make: when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

However what is really annoying, is that the hotel privatizes the outside/swimming pool areas for parties. Thus, you have a real night club in your own room for free until midnight on most of the week-end's nights. So don't go there is you are sensitive. The gym is more of less ok, but the carpet is really sticky, so if you happen you do exercise on the floor, you better put one or two towels.

The location is fine, near Valletta main gates, but make sure not to be in a wheelchair. There are a good 50 stairs to go to the road, and then the road is climbing. It is good for exercise.

The door man Edon, a former football player, who came from Nigeria to Malta decades ago, is really friendly and helpful. He is always smiling and super friendly.

The outside swimming pool is the best you can get if you want to stay near Valletta, otherwise you need to chose a hotel in Saint-Julians.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms with a view on the Swimming Pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MaltaTrip2014
Silute, Lithuania
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you want to have a party not leaving your room that's the place to be! Summer season opens the wedding season and therefore loud parties and sometimes fireworks. If you are young and will be out enjoying yourself somewhere its ok, but if you are travelling with kids or enjoy quite and nice evenings than do yourself a favour and stay away from it.
Even though hotel claims to be a 5 star hotel I would definitely ascribe it to a good 3 star hotel. No offence. Again you do find better 3 star hotels where you don't need half an hour to figure out how to call the reception or room service or where the toilet flushing is not as complicated as here (no chance of flushing it 2 times in a row or need to continuosly push the button for like 10 seconds until it finally flushes.
I thought we were in 21st century, but looking arround at some of the equipment I get the feeling that time has stopped here 20 years ago.
Friendly staff yet the service is far from what the majority of 5 star hotels normally offer. Even the mini bar is empty which they present as an advantage claiming that you can preorder it. No seriously who has time for that? And who would even think it exists.
We didn't try the restaurant food (who knows maybe we did ourselves a favour and saved ourselves from yet another disaster) but the breakfast was rather poor quality despite quite a big choice.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank AgneLeq
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear AgneLeq

Whilst thanking you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, we do apologise for the inconvenience you experienced due to a wedding function. May I assure you that we have the strictest policies vis-a-vis music. All party organisers are contractually bound to reduce the level of music by 1130pm and all music must stop by midnight. These policies have been implemented in order to reduce any inconvenience to our guests.

With regards the issues related to room maintenance we are referring the matter to Maintenance so that the necessary action is taken. May I also point out that the mini-bar policy has been in place for these last 3 years and the majority of guests do appreciate the opportunity of choosing their own mini-bar rather than finding the standard mini-bar items.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Excelsior's position overlooking the harbour and next door to the old town of Valletta, make it ideally placed for all that Malta has to offer. We had a wonderful midweek break there. The room was a lovely size, immaculately clean, and we had a fantiastic view. The pool, spa and dining facilities were excellent and the breakfasts second to none I've experienced. It is a hotel that also caters for large parties. On one evening, the pool area was very busy with ....um.. how to put it... loud, tiddly conference people... but the service was still pretty good, and we didn't have to wait for our meal. That being said, we could hear nothing from our room so it was no great inconvenience
The staff were very polite and helpful, spoke excellent English and were quick to sort out any niggles, and therein lies the niggle! I didn't expect quite so many niggles in a 5* Hotel. Our room was not ready on time, only late by 15 minutes, but ..hurrumph... the hotel provided dressing gowns, but the one my husband wore had a huge rip under the arm, the shelves in the shower was set at a slope... both of them, so everything fell off and landed on the floor, and there they remained; when we mentioned this, the hotel staff said they were aware of it, well why not mend it then....hmmm.....? The shower door was too close to the sink so you had to shimmy your way into it. if you're of a larger side...er.. good luck! The air conditioning didn't work on the first night. But they did mend this as soon as we mentioned it.
All in all though, we would happily stay here again, hopefully the niggles will have be taken care of. This is a lovely place to stay

Room Tip: Ask for a southern room with a sea view, you'll get the sun, and a stunning view. The other sid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!