“Fantastic”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Valletta
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

After reading a lot of reviews,I was skeptical about this place, but from the moment I entered I was treated very well by the staff, the amentities were fantastic, the meals were more than ample and tasty and our room was large and spacious.we did stay on the entry side of the Hotel so were not subjected to the noise of the parties held in the swimming area at night so be warned about this.would happily stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (933)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jonzac, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel classes itself as five star; in my opinion, a classification of no more than four star is warranted. Whilst it has all the necessary facilities, service could be better to say the least especially at breakfast and in the bar area. Apart from breakfast, which was very good, we ate there only once when we had a couple of chicken salads in the Harbour View Bar - the chicken breasts were undercooked and rather wet, my wife's was verging on the pink. When we spoke to the waitress we were assured that it was properly cooked and the chef knew what he was doing. No offer was made to change the food.

The hotel operates a three PM check-in policy with no apparent exceptions. We arrived around noon following a flight from the UK. It was suggested that we either walked into Valletta to find something to eat or hang around the bar area for three hours until the room was ready. This was when we experienced the undercooked chicken. A substantial number of other guests were in a similar situation. It is obvious that time has to be allowed for the rooms to be prepared but it is also obvious that guests are going to arrive early and I would expect a hotel that classes itself as five star would make some proper provision for this.

It is true the hotel is situated within reasonable walking distance of the Valletta city gate. The problem is that it is built in a hollow and a climb of some eighty steps is required to reach the entrance gate from the reception area. Alternatively guests can walk up a steep public road which can be rather busy at times. Returning at night time, neither means of access is particularly well lit. As far as I can see no mention is made of this on the hotel's web site. In short, this is not a hotel for people of reduced mobility who wish to visit Valletta to see the sights and visit the many shops and restaurants as the city is largely pedestrianised.

I will not be returning to the Excelsior.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 115Sid
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear 115Sid,

Many thanks for taking the time to share with our Trip Advisor users your experience at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. Such feedback is critical to our quest to continuously improve our level of service.

Your constructive feedback has already been discussed with the various departments so that any necessary corrective action is taken immediately.

With regards the check-in policy, may I assure you that our Front Office team do their very best to accommodate all guests checking in early. Unfortunately their success is very much dependent on the level of occupancy.

The hotel offers a complimentary transfer to Valletta at 10 am and 6pm. We are also in discussion with the local road authorities to increase pedestrian lights so as to make it easier to cross Great Siege Road.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. Should you decide to visit us again please do not hesitate to email me directly on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt. It will be my great pleasure to assist you.

Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have been staying at the Excelsior every time i came to Malta since 2008 and i sadly see that it has been declining ever since. A few month ago i did not have a good stay but i though i was just being unlucky. It was winter and the room was very cold. The heater did not work and instead of changing the room they tried and tried to fix the one from my room and eventually they brought an electric heater that did not really do the job.

During this stay although I was told i have a sea view room, the room is on the side of the hotel and you barely see the sea. The carpet in the room is filthy (see pics) and the shower looks terrible with some rust and very cheap shower gels.
Yesterday i booked a taxi and when i came down the taxi was not there. Since they don't have a taxi stand like other hotels getting a taxi is always a hassle and even if they have a few cars that you can hire they are not enough and they are almost always booked.

The breakfast on the other hand is decent and overall you get to see nice people trying to help you.

I am sure i am not coming here again and i would also suggest that you try other hotels since the higher management does not seem to care about it too much anymore.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location is excellent with easy access to Valetta. The room was spacious and clean. The gym was good though only 2 running machines which were constantly occupied while other machines were unused. Indoor and outdoor pool areas were excellent with super views and a small beach area that people were actually swimming from. food I ate on the terrace was also excellent (amazing fresh tuna steak) and good value for money for the wine. I used the spa and it was very good.
My issues were with the wifi which did not work in my room which is not acceptable for a 5 star hotel, reception not answering at any time when called, so I eventually had to put on my bathrobe and go down to them, very poor water pressure in the shower, my room service breakfast arriving 35 minutes early when I was still in the shower, long delays in checking out, and the rip-off hotel taxi service that charged me Eur15 for a 1.5km journey to a business meeting (it was too hot to walk) which was the same as I paid all the way in from the airport in a public taxi. When I asked for an alternative I got a shrug of the shoulders and was told take it or leave it. And the minibar system is cracked -its empty when you get there and you can order it stocked with whatever you want at certain times, but no way to suddenly decide at 10pm you fancy something. They sell this as flexibility, but its not what I expect from a 5 star hotel. Overall I was unimpressed, but nothing that's not fixable if the willingness is there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Eimear C,

Many thanks for sharing your experience at the Grand Hotel Excelsior. It is always great to hear on the attributes that are appreciated by our guests but we do also take note of the not so good feedback and take corrective action.

We are very disappointed that you experienced a hiccup with our new free Wi-Fi system which has been well received by our guests. Whilst one understands that there might be a technical glitch what is not acceptable is the fact that our reception team did not assist in reporting the fault. I appreciate if you could email me directly with your personal details so that I can investigate not only the Wi-Fi matter but also the other points you kindly highlighted in your review.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the very near future

Zejtun, Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I went with my family this evening and we were really disappointed, it was international buffet the same price as Sunday lunch buffet but it was complete different. First of all there was less variety and the food was really disgusting especially the swordfish and the fish cakes
" so so yukkie " that 's what our kid said and yes he was right!! So for us certainly it will be the last that we dine in this Grand hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank TigerMalta
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear TigerMalta,

Whilst apologising for not exceeding your expectations, I sincerely appreciate if you could give me your personal details via email on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt so that we can investigate the matter. We really appreciate that you took the time to give us the feedback and may I assure you that any necessary action will be taken.

Killorglin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent a week here with mom and daughter. Lovely staff, yes you have to wait 5 min to check in sometimes as they are busy.....but hey, cold fresh juices served and lovely comfortable chairs. Breakfast staff unbelievably attentive and friendly, especially Eileen - wonderful asset to the hotel. All pool areas get cleaned every morning!

Room Tip: Harbour view room definitely a must!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank crusadergirl02
Karlsruhe, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Celebrating our anniversary of the day we’ve met on Malta 20 years ago, we’ve decided to stay at GHE. It was a very good choice. The professional yet personal service especially by Eileen is what makes our stay special and will always keep us returning. Thank you, Eileen, for your daily smile and good mood during breakfast time. It was a perfect start to enjoy Malta and their friendly people.
We look forward to seeing you all again very soon. Thank you, Inge and Claus, Germany

Room Tip: spa not used
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anke W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
Hotel Phoenicia
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,417 reviews
Casa Ellul
Casa Ellul
#1 of 14 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!