Excelsior Grand Hotel
Palazzo Consiglia(Valletta)
Palais Le Brun(Valletta)
Travelocity
4,422 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive stardeluxe roomthe busconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedssteep hillmanoel islandthe hotel offerspublic areasmarsamxett harbour
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a horrible room below street level definetly not a 5 star hotel room, and a very foul smell of humidity was in our corridor room 661. breakfast and pool area were ok though but the room was really not fit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Kirsten C
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Kirsten C,

Whilst thanking you for sharing your feedback with us we apologise for not exceeding to your expectations.

May I kindly point out that your selected room type was a standard room booked through galahotels.com. Unfortunately this online booking agent only provides to its bookers our basic standard room type and does not offer the other deluxe room types ranging from inland to seafronts. It is unfortunate that due to limited information available by a third party agent you had no choice. The standard room type is ideal for travellers staying overnight and in fact we only have 6 rooms in this category.

The smell of humidity in the corridor was due to a water leak in the corridor. Our maintenance team have now replaced the corridor carpeting after all works had been finalised.

We do hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again in the near future. Should you have any dates in mind please email me directly on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt and it will be a great pleasure to assist.

Kind regards
Brian

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for over a month on business, the first room I had looked like it had been locked in the 1980's, the carpet was not fixed to the floor and a trip hazard and my shower had no hot water. The hotel took 24 hours to fix the shower by that point I had requested to be moved.

Although my new room had a great sea view the A/C in the room did not work and after 6 attempts for the hotel to fix it still no joy, they did not offer me another room because they explained the hotel was too busy. The lock on my door did not respond to any key card for 1 min before opening.

Some nights the food was amazing but then you would go 2-3 nights of below average food for €34. The buffet opened at 18:30 and you were allowed to sit and eat but no hot meat/fish was even ready before 19:00, defeats the point in opening at 18:30 really. The plates were too hot to handle and on many occasions children were dropping them from burring their hands. (Turn down the plate heater!!!).

The final nail in the coffin was the hair cut I received!!! It was about time for a haircut so I went to the beauty spar where I was sat down and explained what I wanted. The girl had no experience and it wasn't until the following day I saw her handing out towels and cleaning up trash around the pool. She decided to start a new trend and shave the back of my head with a #2 not even the sides. The manager did accept it was disastrous and called someone in to fix it right away.

Room Tip: Go for something else, its really not worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tom19852011
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had paid in advance for 7 nights and breakfasts and was asked to block 50 € a day on my credit card for the possible extra costs : this is their welcome word, you feel like a suspect,not like a guest. No welcome word(or drink)then you wait for hours in a lobby with others bored/tired guests with luggage (youth hostel ambiance). When you finally get a room you have to carry your luggage by yourself and find your way in the hotel, nobody accompanies you. Which room you find worn out : stained carpet, scratched cupboard,etc.. The coffee by breakfast is undrinkable, if you want something correct you have to pay extra. The food in the dining buffet is abundant but not refined. Once asked for jasmin tea, they don t have it. I can go on and on... It is a 3 star tourist hotel processing a great number of guests with stress, not a smoothly running organisation. Somebody of the middle management reprimanded a staff member in the presence of guests : unprofessional and not relaxing !

Room Tip: Ask for seafront and a clean room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Eleutheria29
BRIANBARTOLO, Head of Marketing at Excelsior Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Eleutheria 29,

Whilst thanking you for the feedback, we are very disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay and sincerely apologise for this circumstance. May I assure you that all points mentioned in your review will be discussed with the respective departments so that corrective action will be taken.

With regards the pre-authorisation of EUR50 per day, kindly note that through the pre-authorisation you do not need to carry any cash within the hotel as all expenses will be charged to your room. At the end of the stay the blocked amount will be used to settle the bills any unused amount will be released by the bank.

We do appreciate that after a long trip to Malta one would like to settle down in the room. Our housekeeping team do their very best to have all arrivals ready as early as possible. The mission will be difficult when the hotel is at almost full occupancy. All early arrivals are offered the opportunity to store their luggage in the secure luggage room and use all the in-house facilities. From your review it transpires that you were not offered this opportunity. I appreciate if you could email me your details on brian.bartolo@excelsior.com.mt so that I can investigate further. If you have any information you would like to share with me please do so.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior and will make sure that it will be a memorable one.

Kind regards
Brian

Reviewed 15 August 2014

This place has improved in a year. Nothing is too much trouble and during a whole island power cut the hotels generators kept the place going even in the bedrooms A/C kept going.

Brilliant stay, will return.

Room Tip: Go for full sea view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Colin S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just returned from Grand Excelsior!!it was one of the best hotels i ever visited!!friendly staff, always willing to help u!!in every position!!i give one star for the staff at tiki restaurant!!very good and friendly!!!clean pool,great breakfast and dinner buffet!looking forward to visit it again!!!

• Stayed: August 2014