Excelsior Grand Hotel
British Hotel(Valletta)
  • Restaurant
The Coleridge(Valletta)
4,370 results
All reviewsindoor pooltiki restaurantprivate beachsea viewlarge hotelevening buffetfive stardeluxe roomthe busconcierge deskturn down serviceplenty of sunbedssteep hillmanoel islandthe hotel offerspublic areasmarsamxett harbour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 March 2009

My mom and I stayed at Excelsior for one week in August 2008. If I am ever going back to Malta, I will book this hotel in a heart beat. Our week at Excelsior was simply amazing - first of all its location is hard to beat, it's so easy to get to the gates of Valletta. The views from this hotel are stunning - our room had a pool view and partial sea view (pay extra for the sea view, you will not regret it). The food was delicious, I loved the theme nights (esp. the Indian one) and the live music. The staff deserves to be mentioned - wonderful and friendly. I could go on and on about how great this hotel is, but since I love Excelsior so much I will only summ it up by saying just book it.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank alex13c
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Just got back after a superb stay at this hotel. The breakfast selection was great and only surpassed by the Theme nights whose choice was jaw dropping.
I found the staff very friendly and so helpful.( Antoinette and Martes,a special thanks)
Dave from Billingham, Teesside.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Our stay at Excelsior Hotel in Malta last January proved to be one of our best holidays ever. Starting with the hotel booking ably done by Ms. Helena Zarb, all through arrival where we were assisted by the ever-friendly Adon and the attentive concierge Mr. Arist. We were also pleasantly surprised to be greeted by the general manager himself, Mr. Norbert Grixti, and to be later invited to a cocktail party to mingle with the management and other staff. The room was exquisitely decorated and the view was breath-taking. Excellent food and wine was served at the Admiral's Landing restaurant and coupled with attentive and efficient service by the restaurant staff made the evening a very pleasant one indeed. Shedding the pounds gained the night before proved to be very enjoyable at the well-equipped fitness centre with the latest TechnoGym fitness equipment and manned by the friendly and knowledgeable gym instructor, Lloyd. My only complaint during our stay was the poor signal strength from our of the wireless Internet hotspot although we could still surf the web by accessing the high-speed LAN. All-in-all a truly exceptional stay and I heartily recommend this hotel to all travellers who are looking for that something extra to make their stay in Malta special.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank malcolm_attard
Reviewed 11 March 2009

My fiancee booked us at the Grand Hotel excelsior to celebrate my birthday... having worked in the hotel industry myself, it came as quite a shock since I am quite a critic of the service given nowadays. However it turned out to be a memorable weekend, thanks to the service offered at the Grand Hotel Excelsior.
We were welcomed on arrival by the porter who took our luggage and indicated the reception desk, we stopped at the concierge desk by mistake the concierge took my name, than pointed out the reception desk and walked up to the receptionist on duty to introduce me. While compiling the registration form, we were offered warm towels and a welcome drink... a touch that knocked off my socks, the type of thing that I have only encountered when travelling to Asia, were service is astonishing to say the least. During the check in process, I noticed that my girlfriend was planing the weekend with the concierge who was jotting down bookings and giving very helpful advice, he remained at the reception desk. I also noticed that the other person who was in the reception desk had gone to man the concierge desk, such flexibility is indeed commendable.
The rooms are beautiful to say the least, I had given the Prefered card upon arrival and we were immediately upgraded to a sea front room. The room had a huge terrace and the view from the terrace cannot be described in words. The room was spotless and you could easily walk barefoot even in the terrace as everything was touroughly clean.
Few moments after our check in, we recieved a call from the front desk to ensure that the room met our expectations, I still wonder what would have happened had I said no, but I could really find nothiong to complain about in the room.
My girlfriend suggested that we have a massage, the spa menu is extensive and covers the needs of anyone, in order to get advice she decided to call concierge, Arist, was remarkable in spotting what myself and my girl friend were looking for and booked us for a treathment in the couple room... I would suggest such treathment to any couple that stays in this hotel.
We than needed an ashtray, so once again we called concierge (I was testing the limits of his disposition) Arist took it upon himself to have the ashtray delivered, so I proceeded to ask him for the number to room service, he never gave me the number as he took the order himself. Limit test passed I decided to let go, the service of Arist was indeed flawless.
On Sunday we had lunch in the hotel, it is advisable to book well ahead as the lunch is normally sold out, and for good reason, (luckily for us, Arist knew about this and booked us in on Friday when we checked in). The selcetion of food is limitless and one item is better than the other. Make sure you do not have a huge breakfast in the morning or you will not be able to make it past the starter, (that's another peice of information given to us by Arist who at this point I believed is pyschic). The service was a bit inconsistent, if the supervisors were taking care of us, than all was well, however when the younger servers took care of us the service lacked much to be desired.It would indeed help had they atleast smiled a litte. Once we finished our lunch, the waiter brought a piece of cake with a sparkler towards me, and the violinist made it towards our table playing happy birthday... I looked towards my girlfriend thinking she had organised all this, but she was as surprised as I was. An increible touch, which got me to think 'this is personalised serivice at it's best'. Upon checking, the omni-present Arist pleeded guilty.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, the location is excellent and the rooms are beautiful, but what's more, they have people who are there for their guests, who think ahead for them and who act accordingly. The service offered at the Excelsior is matched by no other in the island. Arist is a great asset to the Front Office.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eagle1210
Reviewed 10 March 2009

I was attending a wedding in Malta with my wife and 2 small children at the end of Feb 09. I wanted to stay very close to Valletta due to the Carnival being on.

I had two choices of 5 Star Hotels. The Phoenicia or the Grand Excelsior. I selected the Grand due to the building work and redecoration at The Phoenicia. I was particular concerned about the bus terminal which can be busy and I did not wish to be woken up in the morning by honking bus horns.

The Grand was fantastic. I turned up with my hire car (people carrier) ram-packed with cases and small children. I gave the car keys to the bell boy and he unpacked the car and then parked it in the underground garage for me. I did remember to take the sleeping children out of the car !

Check in was a breeze, staff very friendly and efficient. I even had a complementary drink while sorting out the paper work. We had a deluxe side sea view room. The room was big and very comfortable. We had a spare bed for my eldest child while the youngest slept with us. This was not a problem as our bed was so big.

The staff at this hotel really look after you. As a resident you have access to the hotels cars which means getting to and from Valletta with the children is very easy.

The hotel indoor pool is large and very nice. The pool has lots of sun beds all around it. Its a comfortable place to spend an hour or so. The children loved the pool, we used it every day. The only down side is the pool area does not have any dedicated changing rooms. Guest are supposed to walk down from the room in your dressing gown. However we used the only show which is next to the steam room.

The food at the hotel was incredible. The breakfast “sushi with sparking white wine” was a real treat particularly as our first morning coincided with my birthday. I also got a complementary bottle of nice sparking rosa-wine and basket of fruit in our room. We consumed both while the children slept…!

We also ate in on Sunday night. It was a special carnival buffet with a live swiss matching band…? The food at the buffet was the best meal we had ever had… really ! In particular the fish soup was incredibly good. The food was just fantastic, such a wide selection of great food. We spent nearly four hours eating and watching the most fantastic carnival band.

This is a great hotel !!, good location, excellent and efficient friendly staff. I thought the costs of room at £80 per night inc breakfast (2 adults 2 small children) was very good. I doubt I could find better anywhere else !

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family