“Great but expensive”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Stayed for New Years Eve/Day on full board
Can do attitude from staff, any requests for extra towels or the odd toilet roll was actioned within minutes. 10/10
Rooms were very clean, & could smell the disenfentant used in the bath room so 10/10
Food ranged from being exceptional on one day (11/10) to below average the next. (except for the desserts which were always excellent 11/10)
This could be down to the public holidays as I ordered the same soup from the a la carte and 2 days later it was completely different. On that same day the Salmon meant to be served on potatoes but was presented on last nights curried rice with the roasted baby chickens re-heated so badly there was no moisture left. But dont let that put you off cos when its good it is fit for the King of Spain
Overall its was a treat but left me wondering if I should have gone a little bit further to Duabi for the same price

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 January 2010

I've stayed at hotels in their grouping, and I wonder if the group "Preferred Hotels and Resorts" know about the nickel and diming of the 5 Start patrons.... I was very surprised that water was not provided in the rooms (do not drink the tap water.) I was also surprised that a listing of the price of all the items in the rooms is given, in case one wishes to 'take it home' with them. So we did not use the slippers (disposable-type that you find in most 4 or 5 star hotels) as they were 2.50euro. Five star hotels charge for everything? Is this Ryan Air!??

We arrived late, about 1:30 Am and check-in was nice and friendly. No, they will not upgrade us from Harbour view to Seafront, even though rooms are available. I've read other reviews and no, we did not have sparkling wines or anything in our room. I wonder if this is because I booked the room on Expedia? We paid 115 euro a night, which was far and above the December rates for St. Julian's or Sliema hotels of the same types. For a five star that charges for anything extra, I'm surprised.

Breakfast was extensive and I felt worth it if you are staying there. Everyone friendly, except I agree with the other reviewers - the lack of staff cleaning up the tables after folks leave makes it look dirty and like no one cares. Tables are not cleared. Food was okay - very British but lovely pastries, breads, and other Maltese cheeses, olives and meats were a nice change from eggs and beans.

I only fault this hotel as it does not live up to a 5 Star status.

Outdoor pool: wow! but too cold in December to use.
Indoor pool: nice but not heated, chilly to use.

Spa: This is where I have a true issue. I'm not sure if the spa is part of the hotel or separate altogether, but the service and personnel at the spa desk are simply unacceptable. I went to inquire about full spa services - facial, massage, etc. I was intending for a day of pampering and willing to pay for it. The girl at the desk handed me a 6 pages catalog with at least 100 types of facials and massages, and knew NOTHING about NOT ONE of them. She wanted to me to 'pick one out' but had no idea what they entailed. "Do you want machine or not?" about a facial, which was really scary. Finally I tried to book a massage but they are only available around 11 am to 2 PM, which is impossible if you want to go out into town or sight-see. It is in the middle of the tourist day.

One day we came back from a day of walking and I asked the reception desk what time the Spa/Sauna/Steamroom closed, and she said 8 PM. I asked again to be sure.... I arrived downstairs at 7:00 PM and the girl said, "Just closed." I said that reception said 8 PM and she said "reception is wrong." No where in any written paperwork in the room, brochures, signs, nothing - indicated opening and closing times of the fitness room and steamroom. I was 'steamed' enough to go back upstairs (in my shoes, as the disposable hotel slippers cost 2.50 euro if taken, mind you).

We stayed 3 nights and expected 5 star treatment, and feel it was only 3-4 star, especially as they are supposed to be to the standards of teh Preferred Hotels Group.

There is a courtesy car each hour to and from Valletta to help folks avoid the small walk, but its only 10 minutes! There is a short cut across the road that takes one right to the bus stop, or the main city gate. Location was fine.

We had a double room and the carpet was worn, the furniture a bit dated, but otherwise OK. Our shower had mold in it, but maybe that is normal for Malta, as we found this in the other hotels we stayed on the Island.

One last thing - we were on the floor (same floor as reception) above the dining and conference areas - one night there was a wedding or something - we didn't get any quiet until past 1:30 AM. I'd ask for a room higher up than reception level.

Parking is available in their garage. A good point about the property. I visited the business center one day at 5:30 PM and was told it was closed. I walked around, and went back 15 min later, and next to it was a coat check for an event, and a hotel worker who said, sure, go in. So the business center is only open during 9-4:30, but internet was free.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrendaMurray
Reviewed 28 December 2009

My Friends and I spent Xmas Eve at this hotel. The service is excellent and the housekeeping is second to none. The views are absolutely stunning. The buffet we had was great too...so much food!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Malta was our last spot in our Honeymoon... it's a small island, rich of history, culture and friendly people. After a lot of consideration we decided to book at the Grand Hotel Excelsior as it is close to the capital city Valletta. In fact Valletta was only about 10 minutes on foot, and the hotel also provides a courtesy car.
The hotel facade is not exactly glamourous, however once you get off the taxi and walk in the hotel, it looks amazing. The service is excellent, we were welcomed by a rather chubby porter who did his best to welcome us, took our luggage, got us a drink and even got us warm towels to freshen up... amazing. The lady at reception (can't remember the name) made more fuss about our being on honeymoon than we did, she congratulated us on our wedding and even thanked us for our spending it there; I had never thought it could mean such a big deal for a hotel.
The rooms are spacious, we were given an upgrade to a Sea Front room and the view from there is amazing, I would recommend booking these kind of rooms to anyone, the view is so relaxing. The room came along with Fresh Fruit and Sparkling Wine (the hotel wanted to help us celebrate our honeymoon).
Food was good, though the A La Carte Menu and the Room Service Menu don't have much variety. The BReakfast though is impressive and they serve great buffets in the evening.
Last and most impressive, were the guests in the hotel, never had I thought I would come across a real King in my life, and yet there he was, residing in the same hotel as us, the King of Spain. No wonder we felt pampered, if royalty chooses this hotel, than this hotel must be the top notch on the island. To us if was a Grand Honour.
When staying there, look out for the Front Office Manager, he's normally in the lobby as his office is there, he has done all he could to make our stay exceptional, his ways are clearly reflected on his staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dufhel
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago and were impressed with many aspects of it, in particular the beautiful indoor pool and excellent changing facilities. Good views from the restauarants especially if you are lucky to have a window table ( book or arrive early !). Only one disappointment as mentioned by other travellers that the breakfast service can be poor and chaotic, we did have this one morning and gave up. It's worth noting that there are about 87 steps from the reception up to the road and then up a hill onto the level ! Also that some rooms on the same level as the reception have no opening window and face onto the top of a wall and the car park. We did ask to be moved and this was done very swift'y. Very helpful staff all round.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rauma
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Our trip was amazing. The staff and amenities at the hotel were excellent.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2009

Although this hotel is listed as 5 stars I was a little wary of the standard of the room that I would be given. I booked through GTA Hotels and got a great deal, but my voucher showed 'promo single room'. I expected this to mean I would be given the worst room in the hotel but far from it. I was initially put in a ground level twin room but since the shower had a small problem I was immediately upgraded to a top floor double room and given a bottle of wine for my 'inconvenience'
The hotel is beginning to show its age a little but overall it is a great hotel, with friendly, helpful staff and a more than adequate breakfast. The restaurant menus are a little unimaginative but this seems to go for the whole of Malta.
I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone wishing to visit Valletta and also GTA Hotels for their unbeatable deals.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
#4 of 15 in Valletta
La Falconeria
La Falconeria
#2 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!