“A business trip to remember”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
London
“A business trip to remember”
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Just returned from a short business trip in Malta. My contact on the island took the liberty of recommending this hotel and booked on my behalf. I was well looked after from the moment I walked in until my day of departure. Reception staff made me feel most welcome and handled a couple of requests very efficiently. WIFI access is free and found this very convenient. Breakfast - very good selection. Dinner - Did not have the time to try their dinners due to my tight schedule. To the Management I say " you have just won a repeat client " You will surely see me back and I'm eagerly waiting for my next trip to malta.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We have stayed in this hotel 5 times including 1xChristmas &2xNew Year and used it Summer, Winter & Spring. As a recidivist I can hardly complain can I? I know some of the people by name and they are familiar with my Family. We have a heavy wheelchair bound 11yr old boy with learning difficulties and this establishment has NEVER made us feel out of place or unwelcome. We often need spare sheets....no problemo just mention it and its there.
Excellent points - incredible views, service, food, wheelchair accessability everywhere, pool/sauna etc.
Bad points - pricey and it's impossible to leave the hotel without a car if you have a wheelchair, because of the steep hill or huge number of steps up. There is a courtesy car but it's hourly up and back. irksome to be time bound and not to be able to just walk out.

I think that disabled guests should be given a key to come and go via the road level door at the back of the ballroom floor.

Having said that.....we go back to the Grand whenever we go to Malta.

For Gozo I recommend Ta Cenc run by Sammy Rappa.

• Stayed December 2009
Dubai
Reviewed 9 January 2010

My wife and I truly enjoyed all aspects of this experience. We were welcomed by the door man who took care of our luggage and even got us a drink and refreshing towel. Reception staff are friendly and ready to help. Thank you for organising our excursions. Your suggestions were of great help. The Reception Manager helped us out when having problems to do the online check-in over the internet. This was greatly appreciated! Breakfast & dinner was excellent. Vast selection and very good quality. The service was slightly unstable at times but this probably happened due to the amount of diners. Room was clean and well set & so was the view from our balcony. An experience not to be missed and which is highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 January 2010

Stayed for New Year's Eve Weekend. Enjoyed the stay - staff was very helpful. Breakfast a bit chaotic but very good. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Malta
Reviewed 6 January 2010

A hotel gifted with a perfect location, amazing views, beautiful and spacious rooms and complemented with excellent service, ambience and delicious food. I stayed in an executive suite with sea view on the 8th floor. The room was spacious, clean and equipped with all necessities and the views of the grand harbour in the early morning were picturesque. The buffet breakfast is one sight for sore eyes - besides an ample choice, it tasted exquisite - almost as enjoyable as the superb mini canapes served complementary at the lobby on our floor (served every day at 6pm - I got to know there is also afternoon tea served at 3pm which I sadly missed). A small mention of gratitude goes to front office sisters Helena and Francesca (Zarb) who took a special interest in our comfort and wellbeing throughout the stay - a true example of Maltese hospitality to be followed by all.

Reviewed 3 January 2010

Stayed for New Years Eve/Day on full board
Can do attitude from staff, any requests for extra towels or the odd toilet roll was actioned within minutes. 10/10
Rooms were very clean, & could smell the disenfentant used in the bath room so 10/10
Food ranged from being exceptional on one day (11/10) to below average the next. (except for the desserts which were always excellent 11/10)
This could be down to the public holidays as I ordered the same soup from the a la carte and 2 days later it was completely different. On that same day the Salmon meant to be served on potatoes but was presented on last nights curried rice with the roasted baby chickens re-heated so badly there was no moisture left. But dont let that put you off cos when its good it is fit for the King of Spain
Overall its was a treat but left me wondering if I should have gone a little bit further to Duabi for the same price

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I've stayed at hotels in their grouping, and I wonder if the group "Preferred Hotels and Resorts" know about the nickel and diming of the 5 Start patrons.... I was very surprised that water was not provided in the rooms (do not drink the tap water.) I was also surprised that a listing of the price of all the items in the rooms is given, in case one wishes to 'take it home' with them. So we did not use the slippers (disposable-type that you find in most 4 or 5 star hotels) as they were 2.50euro. Five star hotels charge for everything? Is this Ryan Air!??

We arrived late, about 1:30 Am and check-in was nice and friendly. No, they will not upgrade us from Harbour view to Seafront, even though rooms are available. I've read other reviews and no, we did not have sparkling wines or anything in our room. I wonder if this is because I booked the room on Expedia? We paid 115 euro a night, which was far and above the December rates for St. Julian's or Sliema hotels of the same types. For a five star that charges for anything extra, I'm surprised.

Breakfast was extensive and I felt worth it if you are staying there. Everyone friendly, except I agree with the other reviewers - the lack of staff cleaning up the tables after folks leave makes it look dirty and like no one cares. Tables are not cleared. Food was okay - very British but lovely pastries, breads, and other Maltese cheeses, olives and meats were a nice change from eggs and beans.

I only fault this hotel as it does not live up to a 5 Star status.

Outdoor pool: wow! but too cold in December to use.
Indoor pool: nice but not heated, chilly to use.

Spa: This is where I have a true issue. I'm not sure if the spa is part of the hotel or separate altogether, but the service and personnel at the spa desk are simply unacceptable. I went to inquire about full spa services - facial, massage, etc. I was intending for a day of pampering and willing to pay for it. The girl at the desk handed me a 6 pages catalog with at least 100 types of facials and massages, and knew NOTHING about NOT ONE of them. She wanted to me to 'pick one out' but had no idea what they entailed. "Do you want machine or not?" about a facial, which was really scary. Finally I tried to book a massage but they are only available around 11 am to 2 PM, which is impossible if you want to go out into town or sight-see. It is in the middle of the tourist day.

One day we came back from a day of walking and I asked the reception desk what time the Spa/Sauna/Steamroom closed, and she said 8 PM. I asked again to be sure.... I arrived downstairs at 7:00 PM and the girl said, "Just closed." I said that reception said 8 PM and she said "reception is wrong." No where in any written paperwork in the room, brochures, signs, nothing - indicated opening and closing times of the fitness room and steamroom. I was 'steamed' enough to go back upstairs (in my shoes, as the disposable hotel slippers cost 2.50 euro if taken, mind you).

We stayed 3 nights and expected 5 star treatment, and feel it was only 3-4 star, especially as they are supposed to be to the standards of teh Preferred Hotels Group.

There is a courtesy car each hour to and from Valletta to help folks avoid the small walk, but its only 10 minutes! There is a short cut across the road that takes one right to the bus stop, or the main city gate. Location was fine.

We had a double room and the carpet was worn, the furniture a bit dated, but otherwise OK. Our shower had mold in it, but maybe that is normal for Malta, as we found this in the other hotels we stayed on the Island.

One last thing - we were on the floor (same floor as reception) above the dining and conference areas - one night there was a wedding or something - we didn't get any quiet until past 1:30 AM. I'd ask for a room higher up than reception level.

Parking is available in their garage. A good point about the property. I visited the business center one day at 5:30 PM and was told it was closed. I walked around, and went back 15 min later, and next to it was a coat check for an event, and a hotel worker who said, sure, go in. So the business center is only open during 9-4:30, but internet was free.

2 Thank BrendaMurray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
#4 of 15 in Valletta
La Falconeria
La Falconeria
#3 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!