“Nice and quiet, if you have the right room”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Valletta
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Bit old English style, but that is OK.
Service is excellent, so is the small private "beach". When snorkeling one has to be carefull for the boats passing though! And for the slippery steps when entering the sea.
Good breakfast buffet, friendly service. A pitty that having breakfast outside was only possible from mid June, just after we left.
Good scuba school there too, with jeeps they bring you to the nice spots and although I prefer diving from a boat, the spots made up entirely for this littel discomfort.
Hotel is close to the city walls of Valetta. For us the reason of picking it. There is a shortcut to the main gate, but the stairs you need to climb is a public urinoir for the people waiting at the busses. The stinge is so strong you can taste it... Take a (very) deep breath, and run up the stairs! Or take the (little bit) longer road to the city gates.
Watch out for the room you get. Some of the rooms have terrasses straight in front of the breakfast/dining room. No privacy there!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,280)

Reviewed 17 February 2010

What a fantastic weekend we had. We Rate It 10/10
This Is A Fantastic Luxury Hotel, WIith A Truly Relaxed Atmosphere.
It Was My Wife And I's First Weekend Away Without The Chilldren In 7 Years & It Was Everything We Hoped For. We Arrived At The Hotel At 12.00PM On Friday 12th February, And Our Suite Was Ready For Us.
We were greeted upon arrival with a hot face towell & a refreshing welcome drink.Fruit juices and grenadine I think? Our bags were taken to our room, while we checked in. This was a fast and efficient check in and staff were both informative and friendly.
We were shown to our suite immediately after check in and:
What a lovely suite it was! All the usual ameneties of a five star hotel, with a lovely spacious balcony, With Fantastic Views of the bay behind the Hotel( No one stood there with awkward silence or a hand out for a tip) the service was very professional and straight forward throughout our stay.
As this was a romantic weekend for two(Valentines weekend)we did not use all the wonderful facilities of this hotel or see th various conference rooms and exhibition hall etc but:
Breakfast service was fantastic. We only had to wait to be seated once, when we arrived 15min before service stopped at 10.30am, we had to wait for 3 or 4 minutes. (This was a busy weekend for the hotel as it was valentines weekend and the Valletta Carnival) The choice for breakfast was great and everything was available and fresh, even when we were quite late.
Room service was prompt and staff very polite. (Again no awkward hand-out and loitering, up to you if you wish to tip)
The coffee served at the lobby bar was fantastic and the all brass, shiny coffee machine had prize position on the bar.
We did not use the outside pool, as it was only about 14 degrees centigrade outside. The indoor pool was a lovely temperature,not too chlorinated either, as many are. The Jacuzzi was mmmmmm just right! The spa and leisure features were easy to use and bookt The back massage I had has done a better job than my osteopath three days before we departed! We only ate in the restaurant for Valentines night, as my wife has family in Malta, so we had a bit of socialising to do.
We had dinner on the Sunday night, the Gala Valentines dinner. 7 courses of pure heaven. My wife and I both dislike celery, but out favourite dish was the celery and apple soup! We did not eat the Sunday lunch in the restaurant, as we had a lovely breakfast, quite late, and had booked for the Valentines diner. We did however sneak to the restaurant to see the wonderful buffet dinner which had 100 or so cold dishes and 20 or so hot dishes. There were also cheeses and a large display of some fantastic looking desserts.This dinner was attended by guests and locals alike. I am glad we did not join in, or I would surely have gone pop! While we were there in the resaurant we had the pleasure of meeting the head chef and sous chef. Both were happy to take time to talk to us and have a picture taken. I found this amazing as they were so busy, but it showed they had confidence in their food and their brigade in the kitchen.
I could go on and on and on, but we should leave it to you to find out some things for yourself! We had a great time and feel sure you will, if you visit the Grand Hotel Excelsior, Malta!
We have added a few pictures, a few more of the hotel and the food, are available at: www.facebook.com/homephp?#!album.php?aid=12423&id=1000004938724428ref=nf

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We've stayed at the Excelsior last October and we were very impressed with the service. It was a nice relaxing stay, the rooms are comfortable with stunning views. Food was excellent and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. It's the place to be if you're looking for a very good hotel next to the capital city.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2010

We really went above our budget on this as we all needed a relaxing holiday...but our experience was terrible.

We had requested early check-in weeks before we were due to arrive, and had been assured this would be fine. Despite the hotel having all our flight details due to having arranged the hotel car to pick us up from the airport, when we arrived at the hotel we were told we would have to wait an hour for our room to be ready. After an hour and a half we went to reception, only to be told it still wasn't ready, and they could't tell us when it would be ready. In total, we waited almost 2 hours.

Upon entering our room, we noticed a bad smell in the room. We opened the balcony windows, and after a few hours the smell mostly went away...but we shouldn't have to have done that. We were shown an alternative room upon mentioning the smell, but that one had the same odour!

The view from our balcony overlooked the front of the hotel. The hotel website describes the view as a garden or plazza view. Upon enquiring about rooms with the garden view, we were told by the porter that in fact there weren't any garden view rooms.

In the bathroom, there was rust on the fittings in the bath, and a very noticeable smell of rust when I had a bath.

Upon complaining about all the above to the front of house assistant manager and asking for some form of compensation, we were upgraded to a partial seaview room. We thought that was the end of our troubles, but they were to get much worse, and on a very serious level.

After having a bath in the bathroom of this room, there was water everywhere on the floor, so much so that it had gone through the bathroom door, into the hall and soaked the carpet there. Although I hadn't splashed, there aren't any curtains in the bath, so I though it must have been me...but it wasn't. Upon my friend having a bath later on, she noticed that when the plug was taken out of the bath to let the bathwater go down the drain, the water instead came out a drain in the floor in the bathroom, thus causing a flood.

The bulb in the lamp in the bedroom didn't work so we rang reception to let them know, and were told someone would come shortly to fix it. We waited a couple of hours and noone came. We rang again, and were assured someone would come very shortly. By 9pm we wanted to go to bed, and told reception not to send someone now, as we had waited hours and were now going to bed. However, when we were in bed, a man unlocked our bedroom door and came inside. He had to some change the lamp bulb. We were all females in the room, and even if we hadn't been, I find it alarmong that a hotel staff member would unlock a guest's bedrooom door and come inside at night when we had specifically told the hotel we would be going to bed and didn't want to be disturbed.

The final thing that happened was the most serious. On the day of our departure, we walked around the hotel grounds. My mother went to stand on a wooden decking infront of some loungers near the sea. She stepped on to it, and fell really badly. The ground did not look slippery, but it was, and it had debris on it, and there were no signs saying that the ground was dangeous or to be careful. Upon telling the hotel, we were taken to see a doctor, and assured that we would not miss our flight. At the doctors the doctor strongly recommended we got to hospital to the Accident and Emergency unit, as brain damage could not be excluded. Even at the doctors it was apparent that it would be a very tight squeeze to make our flight and we might miss it. In the end we all missed our flight because of the accident, despite the hotelrep having conisitently assured us we wouldn't.

At the hotel, except for the man who accompanied us to the doctor'snot a single member of staff apologised for the accident. Instead, they kept asking us when we would be leaving- we even had a phonecall from reception in our bedroom asking us when we would leave, despite our having told the manager that the A &E doctor had said we had to observe our mother for at least 24 hours to see if her condition worsened, and that she wasn't allowed to travel for atleast 24 hours.

Even afterwards, upon complaining to the hotel we have not been offered any compensation except another complementary stay in the future - not very likely with the service we received and the hotel's poor maintenance and hygiene! Upon asking for a refund instead of a complementary stay, the hotel has ignored our e-mail and not responded.

This has been the worst hotel experience we have ever had for all of us. I was shocked and apalled, and very stressed out for most of my holiday due to the very serious problems we had.

• Stayed: January 2010
6  Thank boguscotch
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Visiting the Excelsior Grand Hotel was a superb experience. They threated us like kings & queens over there. The hotel is very comfortabele en stylish & the staff is very friendly. I also want to mention the excellent quality of the evening dinner. The kitchen staff is very innovative, especially their dessertbuffet is close to perfection. If you want to visit lovely Malta don't hesitate to book this hotel.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Just returned from a short business trip in Malta. My contact on the island took the liberty of recommending this hotel and booked on my behalf. I was well looked after from the moment I walked in until my day of departure. Reception staff made me feel most welcome and handled a couple of requests very efficiently. WIFI access is free and found this very convenient. Breakfast - very good selection. Dinner - Did not have the time to try their dinners due to my tight schedule. To the Management I say " you have just won a repeat client " You will surely see me back and I'm eagerly waiting for my next trip to malta.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We have stayed in this hotel 5 times including 1xChristmas &2xNew Year and used it Summer, Winter & Spring. As a recidivist I can hardly complain can I? I know some of the people by name and they are familiar with my Family. We have a heavy wheelchair bound 11yr old boy with learning difficulties and this establishment has NEVER made us feel out of place or unwelcome. We often need spare sheets....no problemo just mention it and its there.
Excellent points - incredible views, service, food, wheelchair accessability everywhere, pool/sauna etc.
Bad points - pricey and it's impossible to leave the hotel without a car if you have a wheelchair, because of the steep hill or huge number of steps up. There is a courtesy car but it's hourly up and back. irksome to be time bound and not to be able to just walk out.

I think that disabled guests should be given a key to come and go via the road level door at the back of the ballroom floor.

Having said that.....we go back to the Grand whenever we go to Malta.

For Gozo I recommend Ta Cenc run by Sammy Rappa.

• Stayed: December 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valletta
The Phoenicia Malta
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Casa Ellul
Casa Ellul
#1 of 15 in Valletta

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!