“Classy and Romantic”

Price range: US$54 - US$81
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Giannini a family run business since 1988 is an excellent place to have lunch or dinner when visiting Valletta. The restaurant is situated above St. Michael's bastions with vast views of Manoel Island and the pretty Marsamxetto Harbour. The third floor of a typical Malta townhouse, reached by lift from the ground floor lounge bar, has been converted into a delightful restaurant. Giannini tends to be popular with locals for business lunches and romantic dinners giving it a casual but discreet atmosphere.The cuisine is a delicious blend of Mediterranean food. Fresh fish is available daily (ask the host) and you should also consider the daily specials such as the pastas scribbled on the board. The a la carte menu changes according to season with the current options for starters including carpaccio of octopus, risottos and fresh seashells amongst others. Mains include roasted lamb, local rabbit, pan seared duck breast and daily fresh fish and fresh angus beef. The a-la-carte menu is attached next to Giannini's contact details above. A rather comprehensive wine list is also available to complement the meal.
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having eaten in very pleasant but unspectacular restaurants throughout our trip to Malta and Gozo it was nice to finish our final evening in somewhere a bit classy. In a city blessed with beautiful views, Giannini has one of the best. On top of that an imaginative menu, highly professional staff and modern décor immediately made Giannini feel like it might be a cut above the other places we'd eaten at over the previous week. The food didn't disappoint either with both mine and my girlfriend's meal being the best we had on the two islands.
If you're looking to take your girlfriend or parents to somewhere as a present there's nowhere else I'd recommend on the island. Make sure you reserve a table either on the terrace or by the window though - we were by the window but as it was slightly raised above the terrace we still had a great view. The food wasn't expensive, perhaps 3 or 4 euros more per main course than other places but little freebies and the all round experience more that made up for that.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

We had lovely food and very good service! We can really recommend this little nice restaurant! We had lamb racks a nice maltesian red wine, it tasted very good!

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

We are currently on holiday in Malta.
Maltese friends took us to Giannini.
I didn't know of this restaurant ...
I can very easily say one of the best ive ever eaten at.
Very professional from the moment you walk in... But also friendly.
Our food "my wife and I" was cooked to perfection.
We had a wonderful evening.
Many thanks,we will return.
Chris & Sally.

1  Thank Cew73
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Since I like to try new restaurants and I have lately been to the same restaurants over and over since they are to die for.. I chose Giannini at random from tripadvisor. I had very high expectations from previous reviews. But either we were very unlucky or the reviews are made from friends or what not.

When we arrived the greeting was very good and we were escorted by a charmful italian lady up with a lift to our outside table. the view was great, but unfortunately it was abit windy so we asked to be moved inside so our food would not get cold quickly.

We ordered the wine and came really quick along with the water, so far so good.. When we ordered with a casual wearing lady, we ordered mussels, pasta with prawns and grilled calamari all to share to start with, Then we were going to have a ribeye on the bone for 2, but when i asked if the chef could pan sear it for us to have that outer layer crust, the lady advised us not to, she claimed that by doing so the ribeye will be the same as boiled.. clearly the lady didn't know what she was talking about. So we ordered angus ribeye for my girlfriend and a red snapper for myself. ( I know it is very different but I wasn't sure if I wanted to opt for meat or fish).

when the started arrived, the mussels really stank. the smell was unbareble. and really tasted bad! clearly it wasnt fresh! when I confronted the manager, she didn't disagree.why serve off mussels when knowing how dangerous they are?? the grilled calamari were good, but the prawns of the pasta were really dry and also not fresh at all.

anyway I didn't want to ruin the night by complaining again so I kept my mouth shut. when the main coarse arrived, the fish was fillited like someone chewed the fish for me, and the ribeye was cut into very small pieces like dog food or prepared for a newborn to digest easily! my god! I was never dissapointed this much! how can a chef ever serve such disgusting food i will never know!

atlast.. something decent apart of the wine, was the dessert. my white chocolate cheesecake was not so bad. I didn't try my girlfriends banoffee though.

the bill wasn't specified with the food we took.. and half hand written.. I do not expect that in a restaurant of this caliber. it was my 1st time and definitely my last!!

3  Thank JsDiningExperience
GianniniValletta, Owner at Giannini, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear sir we are very sorry for the bad experience you had at our restaurant. Our aim is to provide good service also fresh food. As for the antipasto you had shared , the mussels were fresh imported from Scotland but knowing as seafood we have no guarantee that if there will be 1 mussel bad. Knowing yourself that mussels are dangerous as you stated in your review, you shouldnt have ordered them in the first place and not blame us after. We had asked you if you wanted something else and we had removed it from the bill.

The prawns are local and were fresh I can guartee that. We do not buy frozen prawns or mussels etc. The prawns we buy are the prima bought at €32 per kilos, I can assure you that.

The ribeye bone in you wanted to ordered weighs 1.2kilo angus fresh ribeye and I suggested to be grilled and not panseared, so it will be crusty from the outside and moist from the inside.I do know perfectly what I was talking about. You should know the difference between pan seared and grilled
This is a restaurant kitchen and not home cooking. We do not pan sear and transfer the meat into a convection oven. We grill the meats on an open flame grill. Pansear a ribeye that weighs 350 grms is totally different than pansear a ribeye of 1.2kilo. For that reason we grill.
for the ribeye tagliata that your girlfriend ordered was cut into strips, as you are very concerned about food you should know that dog food is cut into cubes and not strips, its prossed and not fresh, it has a glaze sauce. If you google tagliata is an Italian dish and cut into strips with rucola and parmigiano. It can also be served with a fillet were the meat will be wider since they are 2 totaly differnt cuts. Your comparism with dog food to tagliata is way over the limits.

The fish you order was a redsnapper local and fresh, its a firm fish, was cooked whole and we cleaned it next to your table, and we do not chew food our clients food, we eat food. We chew a chewing gum.

And as your comments about the reviews which were written by friends we must have allot of friends as the restaurant has been established since 1988.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The review dated 17 october 2013 wasn't sent to GIANNINI BUT to SAN GIULIANO IN ST. JULIANS.
I am 100 % sure that I wrote san giuliano. I wonder how my comment has transfered to
GIANNINI of Valletta, as I know for sure that Giannini is one of the best in Valletta, MALTA.

Still can't believe my eyes.

Frank G