“Not sure why this hotel belongs to “Leading Hotels of the World”?”

Le Royal Hotels & Resorts - Luxembourg
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Luxembourg City
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Not sure why this hotel belongs to “Leading Hotels of the World”? Service and facilities are definitely not at that standard.
We ordered the pick-up from the airport. 25min after arrival and 10min after we had our luggage I phoned the concierge and was told that the car is in traffic and should arrive within 5 min. When I called again 10min later I was told the same story. Another 10min later I was told about major traffic jam in Luxembourg. The car finally arrived 50min after our arrival. Not a good start for a Surprise weekend to which I had invited my partner. The way back to the hotel took 15min and no traffic jam insight. After arrival I spoke to the manager on duty and she told me that traffic jams come and go very quickly. She even didn’t bother to say sorry.
The rooms are furnished in 80’s style. We were disgusted when we realised that the toilet still had brown stains from our predecessors. We booked the Executive room. Even a coffee maker is missing (many 3 Star hotels have one). Hairdryer is an early 80s style weak device. Sauna and Steam room are also in 80s style. The sauna was only at 70 degree C so not really useful. I booked a massage for my partner and she rated it as 5 out of 10 points not knowing that one hour costs 160€. She said it was not really a massage but more a stroking. You can get a great massage for half the price. If you pay extra-ordinary prices than you should not accept below ordinary performance.
On Saturday we left the hotel at 9:00 for the city and put the “make-up room” sign outside. When we returned at 16:00 we wanted to relax but at that time the room was not even made. I had to call housekeeping and we spend the waiting time in the bar. At departure the trip back to the airport took just 15 min.
The stay in this hotel was really disappointing. The only thing which is 5 Star and higher are the prices. Service and facilities struggle to reach even 4 stars. I would not recommend Le Royal to any of my friends. It is easy to find better value for money.

Room Tip: Don't choose an Executive room - not worth the money.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Honeybambel

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was in Luxembourg for a business trip and had recommendation from my colleage as not to think of any other hotel than Le Royal and true to my expectations Le Royal lived up to its reputation.

Fantastic service, great rooms, decent gym and health club and to top it all a great bar (if solitude is your objective) and excellent breakfast.

Check in was a breeze, I was alloted a room on 2nd floor, with a view of the park behind the hotel. The rooms were very tastefully done and adequately spaced and nice furniture. The bathrooms are also cosyly done with spot free tiles and accessories befitting a luxury hotel

The breakfast has good spread, though not included in my booking, I did not want to miss out and ate heartily for all the seven days I stayed at Le Royal. I did try the restaurant once for Lunch and the Piano bar . Luxembour being a quiet city, I did not expect a great atmosphere at the Bar of a Hotel so was not disappointed.

The only issue I faced during my stay was with the Gym, which is poorly equipped with just one treadmill a single cross trainer and a single pair of dumbells, no push up bar etc. Many a times guests continue to use the treadmill for close to an hour, with no regard to fellow gym users. So had to shift my running to the park behind the hotel in very cold climate for Indian standards. I did use the steam and sauna a couple of times and very happy with the service

Check out was super quick as well..though there was a double charge on my card ,this was reversed the very next day of my check out, so happy ending.

I will surely return to Le Royal for my next trip in Luxembourg

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the Park shoudl be good than the street facing ones
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

superb hotel. Great location.great rooms.Beautiful pool sauna and steam room. Rooms are large airy and tastefully furnished Lobby and hotel itself are classically beautiful. Rooms have every convenience

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Martin K
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Set your expectations for a 4 star hotel last decorated around the late 80s and you will be fine.

If you want a five star in lux go to the Sofitel (grand ducal not the other one).

Upside: central- I stagger out of bed and I'm in the office. V
They have kit-kats in the minibar good for midnight craving (though at 6.5 Euros a pop only indulge if only the corporate credit card).

Downside: if you have a room which is facing the road, it is a main road and it is NOISY!
Room could benefit from more plugs. Honestly one socket at the other side of the room. Come on.

Room Tip: Non-smoking, good wifi access (no really, some have rubbish signal) and NOT FACING THE STREET
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ruarih
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Very good hotel, well located, very kind staff. Breakfast has many varieties of bread, jams, pastries, fruits, cereals... Parking ok too.
The rooms are somewhat old fashioned (might be the carpets, the curtains, bathroom, the furniture, all of the above) but cleanliness is ok - to the exception of the refurbished loungers in the room where I was. I sadly sat on it with some black trousers and discovered when standing up that my legs were covered of white particles. Not sure what I was (dead skin cells ?), did not want to look at it closer, and managed to remove this excess of dirt.
A pity, but except this the stay was good.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Very good and welcoming staff and very comfortable rooms, we have only eaten at the cheaper restaurant which is very good and particularly good value if you choose from the seasonal menu. The hotel is well situated and has a pleasant park next door.

Room Tip: The Executive rooms are particularly pleasant.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Some say hotels are a reflection of the places they are in. If that is true Luxembourg is not only self-satisfied, but is deluded about what constitutes good quality standards and service. To illustrate . . .

Check-in at this hotel is from 1pm. We arrived at 4pm to be told our room wasn't quite ready and asked to wait five minutes. A great deal more than five minutes later when we enquired whether the room was now ready, we were met by the blank look of a receptionist who had clearly forgotten we existed - to the degree she kept calling my wife by the wrong name.

I won't bore you with the details of things such as the non-smoking area that reeked of cigarette smoke (which odour half-an-hour later changed to one of overpowering air freshener), the wrongly taken order at breakfast or the drunks in the overpriced bar, but will just say that having waited nearly two months for a reply to my observations to the general manager on the parlous state of his establishment I was unsurprised to read a half-heartedly apology which, like his hotel, was liberally strewn with disinterest.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple