“Great service”
Review of Hotel Carlton

Hotel Carlton
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Luxembourg City
Reviewed 6 February 2011

I decided to stay in this hotel after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. And it was worth it. It's a simple, small hotel, with a little tacky interiors. But rooms have everything you need (even comamoille tea in the room), they are super clean, and quiet. The service is excellent, and breakfast really good. And it has free wifi.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank HarperBru
There are newer reviews for Hotel Carlton

Reviewed 30 December 2010

We were really impressed with this hotel. The welcome was great, and we were given orange juice on arrival and made to feel very welcome. Rooms were spacious, clean and well maintained. Excellently located if arriving by train as only a few minutes walk from the station. About a 10-15 minute walk into the old town We didn't feel the area was at all seedy as described in some reviews. Free wi-fi in reception area, and the reception areas were all beautifully decorated and a real effort had been made to decorate for Christmas. We paid about £90 bed and breakfast and had no complaints at all.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank CardiffCardiff69
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The location of the hotel is great. Just walking 5 minutes from Train station. a Chinese supermarket on the opposite and a cafe at side of the hotel. Reception staff are welcomed and cheerful. The room is clean and comfort but there are no minibar. You may buy from vending machine at second floor. But it is not convenience to get up & down. Also a timber-like floor in the room quite a bit annoy when you walk in the room.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ikuropka
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The hotel may be rated as 4* but would downgrade it at 3*.
Stayed in a single. The temperature outside was around -9 and the temperature inside was low also because the radiators were all closed. The floor is very old and looks unfinished! It looks like an 80's.
The breakfast saved this hotel from a really bad review...

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2010

After doing a lot of research on Trip Advisor about where to stay in Luxembourg, I decided to try this highly rated hotel. I enjoyed every minute of my stay at the Hotel Carlton. From the moment I walked in, I was welcomed so warmly by Gianni who spoke great English. He treated me like a friend staying in his home for the 2 days of my stay. The hotel itself is immaculately clean and beautifully decorated. There is a separate sitting area with comfortable living room chairs and all kinds of magazines to read. Since I had a single room as I was traveling alone, the room was on the small side but I had a queen size bed which was quite comfortable but low to the ground. Between the end of the bed and the wall there was a shelf waist high that acted as a desk with a chair. There wasn't much room to maneuver between the bed and the shelf but I was able to sit there and use my laptop to stay in touch with friends. The internet is free which is a rarity in Europe! I just asked for a cable to plug in my laptop which Gianni kindly provided. The room also had a fairly large closet to put my suitcase and hang up clothes. The bathroom was also on the small side with a very narrow shower but it was served it's purpose. The room itself just like the lobby and the living room downstairs was super clean. I was also pleased that they had a few English speaking stations on the television so I could watch CNN. The breakfast was included with my room rate and it was one of the highlights of my day. Gianni had a table waiting for me each morning and they brought out delicious fresh bread and croissants. On the table was all sorts of jellys, butter and cheese. They also brought out a plate of some of the best salami I ever ate. In addition, they gave you two soft boiled eggs in the stand or you could have an assortment of cereals or yogurt. It was a perfect way to start the day. The hotel is very close to the train station which took me 3 minutes to walk to. One morning I walked to the old, historic part of the city and it was only about a15 minute walk over the bridge. The view alone over the bridge is worth the walk. Not sure I've ever seen a more beautiful city! My only complaint about the hotel is that the walls were a little thin and a neighbor had to ask me to turn down my television even though I had the volume quite low. Other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. You won't be disappointed in the hospitality, the charm and the value.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We loved our stay in Hotel Carlton. We were there two nights while we saw the sights in Luxembourg. The hotel is modern, spotless and provides a lovely breakfast in the morning -- soft boiled eggs, breads, meat, cheese, etc. We had one of the larger rooms, and it had a wonderfully big bathroom for Europe. What was most remarkable was the service and the staff, especially the gentleman who was on duty -- it seemed like 24-hours-a-day. He was so helpful with parking and directions and just to chit chat. Based on the pleasantness and seeming happiness of the staff, I got the impression that this was a very well run hotel, with good management. We arrived by car and parked in the hotel's garage, which was a bit of a production because the hotel staff have to open the door for you when you enter and exit, but they were so good natured and patient about it, that it calmed us, two high-strung Americans, down. We walked from the hotel to old part of town and the Casements -- it's a nice walk. We walked around at night at length without any problem. We did use the city buses one time and they were very efficient and clean. The bus and train station is a very easy walk from the hotel. I hope we go back to Luxembourg; if we do we will stay at the Hotel Carlton.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Huntinghouse
Reviewed 20 October 2010

The hotel is near train station, which we wanted. Luxembourg City was a bit busier than what we wanted, but we were scheduled for 3 nites. We traveled out of the city both days there to see WWII sites. The front sitting room in the hotel was beautiful and we sat in it each nite, used our wifi and played cards. Service was great and room was small but beds comfy. Street was a bit loud. Good breakfast. Would recommend to someone wanting to stay in city, but if we had a redo we would have stayed in Diekeirch.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family