“Lovely to watch the sun go down on the city”

Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Luxembourg City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel. We had a 2nd floor room so instead of a view of the Valley it was really only the roadworks outside. The room was comfortable and the positioning of the shower was not as strange as we had thought from previous reviews as it is part of the semi open plan bathroom (not as weird as it sounds and the toilet is separate) We slept much longer than normal on the first night as the bed was so comfortable. That put us in a rush so we had the express breakfast in our room, at €12 pp was much better for us than going to the restaurant and paying for a full breakfast that we would not have done justice. We had drinks in the bar as the sun went down, it was very quiet up there and a lovely chilling atmosphere with the house DJ playing music that didn't intrude but added to the ambience.
When we checked out we were given the opportunity to book a car to the airport from the hotel rather than book a cab, same price €30. When we returned later the luggage was in the car and it was an efficient comfortable ride to the airport. All the staff we met over the weekend were very helpful. I would recommend this as a good hotel if you find yourself in Luxembourg City, not right in the heart of it but close enough.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear SarahJT325,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent hotel experience with us.

It great to hear that you had a fantastic stay at our hotel and that you enjoyed our tasteful decorated rooms with the unique shower design. I will also share your excellent comments in regards of your breakfast experience with our food and beverage team. Furthermore, I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our convenient and personalized limo service to the airport. If you plan to visit us again you can also reserve our hotel car to get you from the airport to the hotel.

We hope that we can welcome you again at our hotel very soon.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I am particular about bed quality and although at first impressed after sleeping here for two nights it was apparent that beneath the lovely soft pillow top there was a rock hard mattress made to be durable not comfortable. My back was aching and for this reason I would not come back.
We were only told at check out that the mini bat is free.
The parking wax €25 a night which was ridiculous as you can park behind the hotel for free. We only worked that out after the first night.
We did not pay for breakfast but we did have dinner at the restaurant upstairs and that was delightful.
The room was very clean and spacious and modern and the location was not as bad as it first appeared. There are shops and supermarkets within 5 minutes walk but the major attractions like the palace were about 15 minutes walk away across the bridge. Reception usually unattended.

Stayed: July 2014
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Marellalouise ,

Thank you very much for having shared your recent hotel experience.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good night sleep in our beds. We recently replaced our matrasses in order to improve the sleep quality and it is a pity that you were not able to enjoy our MYBED. Furthermore I am sorry to hear that you were not told upon checking in that the mini bar in the room was complementary.

The parking next door is in fact a public parking and not affiliated to our hotel. In order to facilitate the access to the hotel we created a direct entry from the parking to the hotel. However, we are not able to offer any special rates for parking.

I will also follow up with our reception team in order to find out why the reception was unattended as usually there is always someone present.

Even though you encountered a couple of inconveniences during your stay we hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The Sofitel Luxembourg Le Gran Ducal is a luxury hotel with beautiful rooms which have Hermes toiletries, Yves Delorme bed & bath linens and robes, Nespresso espresso machines, etc. It is very nicely located within walking distance both from the train station and the center of Luxembourg City where the boutiques/museums are located. However, what makes the hotel so very special is Cesar, their Concierge. A few weeks before my husband and I arrived I wrote to the hotel explaining how we were celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary and how we also would be trying to do some genealogical research. My grandfather had emigrated from a small village in northern Luxemburg to the USA over 100 years ago. Unfortunately, my family in the USA did not know much about our Luxembourg heritage and I explained how I wanted to visit the village to try to locate the house where my grandfather lived as a young boy and try to locate the gravesites of my great-grandparents. Well, to my amazement and wonder, Cesar took it upon himself to do some research into my family ancestry, even calling the town office of the small village and finding out exactly where the family home was located and the burial sites of my great-grandparents and other ancestors ! It was absolutely amazing… He arranged a driver for us and made an appointment for us to meet with a wonderful person in the town hall and also another resident of the village. We were shown official documents regarding births, deaths, etc.; we were told stories about my great-grandfather and taken to the family home and grave sites (which actually were in the next village). It was a dream come true …. and it only happened because of the extraordinary effort and service provided by Cesar, the hotel’s Concierge. One cannot imagine a more excellent Concierge. He makes the Sofitel a very special place.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank LPBinVTandAZ
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Lorraine B,

I would like to thank you very much for posting such an elaborate comment about your recent hotel stay. Besides from enjoying the hotel´s facilities and amenities it is especially thanks to Cesar that you were able to have such a wonderful experience in Luxembourg. It makes us all extremely happy that we were able to provide you with the needed information in order to get more information about your ancestors. At the end it is great that you were able to get so much information and that you were even able to visit the family home and grave sites. I will make sure that your comment will be shared with Cesar and I am sure he will appreciate this very much.

We hope that you will visit us again next time when you are in Luxembourg.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night in July 14. The decor is very modern, if a bit austere. We paid €200 for a superior king room with a view. Both my wife and I were disappointed with the standard of the room for that price. Don't get me wrong, it was very, very nice, but not for what we paid. The bed was extremely comfortable, and we both had a great night's sleep. But it lacks a few basics that you would get as standard in much cheaper hotels. Parking was very expensive, there was a charge for the WiFi. One small thing that bugged me was that the TV on the wall was crooked..Not acceptable for a 5 star hotel .The breakfast was ok but really nothing to write home about. However, I will say that the staff are magnificent. Everyone had a smile, and everyone was very helpful. Its a shame, I wanted it to be so much more.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave B

Dear Jockster,

Thank you for having taken the time to tell us about your recent hotel stay.

I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and that the room was below the standards that you expected. The parking next door is public and is not associated with our hotel. Due to this we are not able to offer any discount to our guest. If you plan to visit again, parking is available at no charge after 6pm in some streets.

However, I will forward your appreciation for our staff to all our ambassadors. I am sure that this will motivate them to continue to provide such excellent service.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel after staying 3 nights in Amsterdam amidst heavy rain, after 5 hours train journey. We received a very warm welcome and immediately felt at ease. The two staff members from the reception (Carmen & Mathias) even escorted us to our room and carried our luggage even though it wasn't a lot. They said the bar was 'complimentary' which came as a complete surprise. However, it had no alcohol but there was plenty of water and 3 virieties of soft drinks.We have stayed in some 5* hotels around the world but never came across this before.
The room was a very good size and the bed was so comfortable and there were no disturbances at the night. We were on the 5th floor and our room faced the front of the hotel. There is a magnificent view of the old town from the bar in the 8th floor. The hotel was in a central location and the city centre and the attractions were within walking distance. A very beautiful city and the nice and comfortable hotel made it a worth while holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jay47England2014
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear jay47England2014,

Thank you very much for having shared you opinion about our hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with the welcome you were given by our two ambassadors Carmen and Mathias. I will make sure that this feedback will be shared with them.

I also agree with you that our "MYBED" gives you a great night of sleep and makes you feel well rested to explore the city of Luxembourg.

We hope that we can welcome you again for you next break away from home

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We had a great two nights at this hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room we stayed in was of a high standard, which is what we expected. The location of the hotel is good, walking distance (10 mins) to central city centre, restaurants and shops.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Himesh B,

I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay at our hotel and that you decided to share this on Tripadvisor.

We hope that you will visit us again the next time you are in Luxembourg.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'm writing this, while staying at Le Grand Ducal. A great hotel, as stated by the other reviews. Very modern, clean, and the Superior room is spacious and has free wifi. Outstanding views from the 8th floor bar of the old town, which is a nice walk away. The check-in process was very efficient and friendly. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this hotel has one of the most comfortable beds I've seen. Its been a treat to stay in this fine hotel. I would most definately recommend it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
FLOPEZLENS, Directeur général at Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Sharon R,

Thank you for sharing your experience which you are currently having at our hotel.

It is a pleasure to hear that you are enjoying your stay since the minute you stepped into our lobby. I agree with you that the Sofitel beds are unique and that they provide the best possible sleep experience which you can find.

I hope that you will be enjoying the rest of your stay and we hope that you will visit us again in the near future.