“Fancy a shower ? Have two !”

Sofitel Luxembourg Le Grand Ducal
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Luxembourg City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bucharest, Romania
“Fancy a shower ? Have two !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

First thing's first: this hotel is clean, comfy and well-served, a safe choice if you can get a good rate and have business downtown Lux (if not, stay in Kirchberg). So, really, looking at the black-and-white hound's tooth carpet, the tall pinky vase (or lamp?), the bathtub with shower and the other center-stage disco-lit shower, I realised I'm probably not in their target. Such target, probably, have tough decisions to make every day. Hungry ? Room service is impeccable, except the poor waiter cant get in with the tray, because of the shower walls. Feeling cold ? Its all open space so the air conditioning won't do it. Want to get drunk ? There's a free minibar full of water and coke, but no beer in sight (thank God for the showers, I would have mistaken it for a convent). Want to watch TV, but don't speak French or English ? Watch BBC News (only). Fancy a shower ? Finally, I thought you'd never get here. Have two !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank camelia_d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

We came as a family (two adults and two children 4 and 7y) and met a compeltely unflexible staff/hotel. It was only the portier who was kind enough to greed us. The other staff seemed to be to arrogant even to look at us or give our children a smile or any sort of acknowledgement.
We ordered a room for 2 adults and 2 kids. But when we arrived they weren't abel to accomdate us with any exstra beds, comforter or even a pillow.
The thick smell off perfume gave a final toxic touch to a hotel that lacks any remote signs of a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank cjekm
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2010

I stayed here for three nights for a conference. The room was great and the service always friendly and efficient. The shower was one of the best I have had anywhere. Both restaurant and room service food were good.

My only complaint would be only one PC provided as the 'business centre' for the hotel. Not having my own laptop with me it made for frustrating evenings waiting for other people to get off the computer so I could check emails. Also the lack of a pool is a drawback in a hotel of this price/quality.

I would recommend and will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed here two nights, October 5 & 6 2010. The hotel was very easy to get to by car and parking is available around the corner near the Novotel, I used the valet so it was even easier and was 20 euros for the two days - so I would valet it again, you ,also get water and mints when the car is returned - a nice touch.

Check-in was very easy and the staff most helpful, I arrived early and my room was ready. The room was a good size with a view over the Petrusse Valley (I had booked a view room after reading reviews here). The room has a separate toilet, Nespresso coffee machine, amazing shower and a extremely comfortable bed. The amenities were also very nice. Internet was not free but at 20 euro for 24 hours use over 7 days was ok, this is cheaper than the advertised rate for PT hotspot.

We had dinner on in the Top Floor restaurant which was very nice, a real treat as the food and service were both excellent. Breakfast was also excellent and is also in the restaurant.

The business centre has a single computer and printer with free internet, there is also coffee and water available here, it all functioned and I caught up with some printing.

The Hotel is a short walk to town, we went down to old town and got the elevator up, a very enjoyable walk and covers a lot of the sights as you stroll. There are many restaurants in the old town, again with a pleasant stroll back to the hotel after dinner.

I would return to Luxembourg to stay at the hotel, it may not be the best hotel I have stayed at, but is in the top 5 - I would have no hesitation in recommending a stay here.

Book a view room and make sure you have time to enjoy the hotel and the room, we made it part of our trip and am very glad we did so.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We stayed here recently for one night in September. The hotel is very nice; our room was just a standard room but for the price we paid was a great deal. Check in was very good and fast. The room itself was nice, and we really enjoyed the free mini-bar stuff ... all hotels should do this. The hotel is great, across the water with a great view of the city and parking is easy (we walked out front of the hotel). The hotel had a very strong air-freshner going on, maybe to hide the smoke .... luckly the room didn't smell like this. Overall a great visit and would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

Great location, quality, and service! It is located just across the bridge from the city center and the Casemates du Boch, which is not even a ten minute walk past the scenic Pétrusse Valley. We stayed in one of their Superior Rooms with a view of the valley on the fourth floor. I would recommend trying for a room on a higher level go get a full appreciation for the view. The room was modernly and comfortably furnished. The bed and shower were amazing! We also took advantage of the breakfast which was a nice spread of meats, fruits, breads and cereals. They also offer an a la carte breakfast with eggs and meats. Recommend booking through the hotel, as I found a better deal that included the breakfast. They also have two lounge/restaurants that are up scale and worth a stop in for a drink or two.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

The location of the hotel is good with walking distance to the center.

Rooms are really modern and beautiful.

I did not like, however, to be given a smoking-room without any discussion about this. I had travelled so long by that time and was in a rush to my meeting so did nothing about this. With these prices you should be asked if you want a stinking room.

Breakfast was good. I have to say, though, that they did not offer the eggs etc to me that were available (made-to-order). When I realized that others were getting more, it was too late (had to go to a meeting).

All in all this is an excellent hotel. Service is not quite on the same level.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business