“Nice sans plus”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Nice sans plus”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

There was nothing wrong, but there was also nothing exceptional...very nice amuse-bouche, excellent sardines, good steak and also the cheese was nice. I did however not find that special extra one hopes to find in a restaurant of this category.

• Visited September 2013

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
“Great start, poor finish”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Went this past Friday evening with a friend who had come to Luxembourg for the weekend.

Arrived at 8pm, promptly seated at a good table, very attentive service on a very warm evening.

Cocktails, 2 gin and tonics, that later turned out to be EUR 16 each!!!!

Lovely amuses, foie gras, mini salmon quenelle, foam of vegetables; great appetizers of more foie gras and chanterelles. And then it completely fell apart.

I ordered crispy sweetbreads and my friend Spanish Iberico pork strips.

The sweetbreads came out on a plate, grey and unappetizing, sitting on what looked like overcooked custard. A few bites confirmed the visual assessment: no golden crispy coating, overcooked, stringy (not properly deveined/decorticated); my friend's pork looked like dessicated vanilla beans -- overcooked, although still flavorful.

The waiter noticed my reaction to the sweebreads and immediately came over and asked what was wrong; I explained and he swiftly took the offending sweetbreads away and offered instead roasted veal. Well intentioned, but I should have stayed away from meats; something clearly was not right in the grill section of the kitchen that night. The veal also came out overcooked and rubbery.

A sigh, and I ate it, disappointed but not willing to make more fuss - there was no point.

Wine pairings was a toss-up; a sweet chenin blanc worked well with the foie gras but far less so with the chanterelles; the St. Julien for the main was very good, and well priced.

The cheese cart was fantastic, a very generous portion which cut off our appetite for dessert, though.

A very expensive dinner, at EUR 300, for unfortunately at the end what must be called a real disappointment.

Maybe an off-night given other reviews -- and we had great luck the next night with Guillaume.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Robert H
Bettendorf, Iowa
“very very nice”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Our experience at this restaurant was just that, an experience. I mean this in a very positive manner. Chef Thierry Duhr's mastery left us buzzing with excitement waiting for every dish to arrive. Presentation was fabulous and the all important taste aspect left the pallet wanting more. My wife had the Scallops which by far were the winning dish. All the wines were perfectly matched and thouroughly enjoyed with each dish. The only real downside was the cut of beef used for the steak option. I would have preferred a nice loin or something which did not require quite as much work as I needed to eat this piece of beef. My wife said it's the Europeans favorite cut with a large piece of fat for flavor. I do not mind the fat and certainly apprecited the flavor; however, the overall cut for me was not succulent enough for the price and quality of this michelin stared establishment. Service was fantastic, atomosphere was very romantic, clientel varied and overall the place has a great feel. Don't forget the wonderful bar area upstairs, it's well worth the pre-dinner drink. Overall, we totally enjoyed our evening. Thanks to all the staff and the excellent service they provided. We will certainly return for another lovely meal.

• Visited July 2013
Ribeirão Prêto, São Paulo, Brazil
“Excellent”
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Very nice food. I ate sardines and they were incredible. And I have to say that sardines are really not my favourite, which means that they were really nice. Service is very good and they have good white wines. However. Wine list coukd be a little better. Except for that, I really reccomend the restaurant. But be sure you enjoy sea food before going.

Visited July 2013
Singapore
“Love this place in Luxembourg”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Its my first time to Luxembourg and visited this restaurant with plenty of excitement, I am a big fan of Michelin Star recommendation. For me, anything above 2 stars is pretty good stuff. I had a wonderful evening there and the pictures are uploaded will show you guys the food. Lovely.

• Visited July 2012