“Incredible, Romantic”

Cuisines: Diner, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We went to Restaurant Torkel with our friends from Liechtenstein. Everything was top notch: the view, the meal, the staff, the drinks. And I appreciated that they made us feel welcome. Not inexpensive... but if you can fit it in your budget, do so. I can only say it was one of those great existential moments in my life.

The waiter said that they make the best eiskaffee (coffee with ice cream) in town. Now, we have tried it in many places in Europe and we have to say it was maybe the best we have had anywhere.

I'm not one to be impressed by royalty but it was kinda surreal to have some of the royal family come and have dinner next to us.

By the way, the wine from the Prince's Hofkellerei is superb. Make sure to go to there for tasting even if you can't go to the restaurant: http://www.hofkellerei.li/

I suspect many Americans (unless related to Hilti) don't know about Liechtenstein and that is a shame. Liechtenstein is one of the most beautiful countries around.

3  Thank JTSeattle

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Difficult to accurately rate this restaurant on anything except the service which is frustratingly indifferent. Let me start by saying that I emailed the restaurant immediately after our experience to give them a chance to respond personally but received no reply at all - that was 4 weeks ago.
My husband has dined at the Torkel on several previous occasions and wanted to take me there when he was next in Zurich on business. We were very much looking forward to this meal and had packed smart dinner clothes for the occasion. The journey to Vaduz was to take several hours so my husband requested an early dinner. This was booked and confirmed by email on 29th April.
So on 29th June we set off from our hotel in Sihncity, Zurich at just past 15:30, taking the tram to the Bahnhoff followed by the train to Sargans and the bus to Vaduz. We then walked up the hill, in the rain, arriving at 18:30 for our table. We had not eaten since breakfast because we were looking forward to an early dinner. However, we arrived to a deserted restaurant. We waited around for a while, thinking it might open a little late. My husband then phoned the mobile number he had for the restaurant to see what was happening and spoke briefly to someone who then hung up on him. He phoned again and it seems he was then told there was an outside event and the restaurant was closed. The lady apologised and said she had tried to contact my husband 6 weeks ago but had not been able to. This does not make sense as my husband booked the table from his work email account which contains his work telephone number. If anyone tried to contact him they cannot have tried very hard. The last email contact was in fact on 13th May when the 18:30 table for 2 was again confirmed. My husband asked how they had tried to contact him but the lady then hung up again.
So we then walked back down the hill, waited about 20 minutes for the bus, took the train from Sargans to Zurich and arrived at an alternative restaurant at 9pm, tired, hungry and very disappointed that this long awaited special occasion had been so spoiled by a lack of care and customer service. This wasted journey cost us approximately CHF 80 and took up 6 hours that we could have spent doing something else.
I find it incomprehensible that the owners are so indifferent that they have not even replied to my email.

3  Thank Getawayfromitall67
Reviewed 8 June 2013

My husband and I took a day trip just to visit Liechtenstein. Restaurant Torkel exceeded our expectations! Although the menu was all German and the staff spoke a small amount of English, we had a wonderful time. We had a bottle of prince du cuvée wine and a prix fix selection. The food was excellent and the view very nice. Lunch cost about $250 USD, but well worth it. Definitely make a reservation and dress up for lunch. Most others were in business suits for the lunch hour.

2  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I had the opportunity to eat here while visiting Hilti HQ. We stayed at the Park Hotel Sonnenhof and went to dinner at the Restaurant Torkel with a group. Our meal was outstanding and one of the best I had while traveling in Europe this fall on business. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The Torkel lived up to its reputation. We had a wonderful meal and received superb service. The atmosphere was delightful. This was our final night in Liechtenstein and marvelous evening. If you have the opportunity book a table at the Torkel. We searched through the reviews of restaurants on Trip Advisor and the reviews on the Torkel were spot on.