the hotel located right next to the mirage ghost town, a once opulence holiday seafront with miles and miles of sandy beach, hotels, business etc, now a 20 km emptied no man zone for the last 37 years, all the buildings still have logos on them, but all windows were broken, no doors, total empty from human but overgrown with wild plant, a perfect setting for a post apocalyse or zombie movie. there were guards in watching towers and shout at tourist taking photo. it was a bizarre experience to stay in such a five star hotel right next to a politically sensitive zone. but it was all safe, the ghost town has been there for so many decades. as for the hotel, my travelling agent messed up booking and hotel reception couldn't find my booking, but they were very professional, sort it out immediately and smoothly done without causing me any stress. hotel offerring airport transfer but quite expensive, so we hired a car instead, it is a must if you want to see north cyprus because there is hardly any public transport. taxi is reasonably priced but more cost efficient to hire a car, cost about 10-15 euro a day, plenty of free parking space in hotel. we had a double room on top of the casino facing car park, would recommend a sea view room if budget allow. there was a small balcony but we hardly use it. the casino can be quite noisy into early wee hours, but the double glazed doors were well insulated and hardly heard anything when shut. the room was small but sufficient. we stayed for 5 nights and didn't feel cram. in room facilities were very good, plasma tv, safe big enough to put laptop in, fridge, hair dryer, free wifi was fast, reading bed side lights, air con works well, shower was good, toiletries were top class, all molton brown brand, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion, shower cap, body wash clothe, felt like a pamper to use them, shoe shine clothe, sewing kit, complimentary bottled water, etc. everything were in the right place, the interior space was nicely design and well spaced out. plenty of wardrobe space and hangers. breakfast buffet was very good, plenty of choice especially on friday and saturday, help yourself with the whole honeycomb, it was very expensive in shop. ordered your eggs and expect surprise as not all waitors speak good english but all very friendly and helpful. according to a fellow customer, the hotel restaurant served very good home made burger but we never tried. we preferred to drive 10 minutes to town near university where there were plenty of local bar and restaurants with a local price.
love the hotel lobby balcony, patio, amazing private beach with plenty of sun loungers and beautiful cotton white sun umbrella with seashell danging to make lovely sound in breeze. lying on beach to watch sunset or have a stroll along white sandy beach, what a life, absolutely love it.
the only negative experience of the hotel were two thing:
1. their cleaning squad, very much in your face type, banging on doors morning and evening, squeezed in the room when i stood right next to the door and looking for stuffs inside wardrobe on my way out; they could have stand back a bit and give me a minute, rather than have a full body contact to barged in behind me through a small room entrance. also their cleaning routine and standard were way below expectation from a five star hotel. throughout the five day of we staying, they did not clean the floor, both bedroom and bathroom, i could see my own hair on the bathroom floor everyday. they never replenished the toilettries probably. they didn't replenish at all one day until i asked. i also found my clean makeup brushes that i carefully placed on tissue on my makeup bag being threw around the desk, a couple of them almost felt into the gap behind desk.
2. the hotel policy of no food allow into premises. what a stupid policy to upset customers, are they trying to force customers to buy their ridiculously over priced mini bar snack? it was a holiday resort supposed to be family friendly, especially family with young kids, and tell them they cannot have any type of food, not even fruit and snack and candies bringing into hotel? i went back one evening with a supermarket shopping bag and were being stop at reception in front of other customers. i showed them i only reused the bag and there was no food apart from bottled water (tap water was not safe to drink in north cyprus). the receptionist apologised to me, not her fault but what a dump hotel policy. they better change that quick or there would be a lot of food smuggling.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Arkin Palm Beach Hotel is located in the ancient port city of Famagusta, North Cyprus. The Hotel offers "a Heaven on Earth Location" where the turquoise hues of the Mediterranean sea, the magnificence of its private golden beach, nature`s own beautiful greenery, and amazing sunsets all come together in a truly idyllic setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with cyprus paradise , TripOnline SA, GoNorthCyprus, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Arkin Palm Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arkin Palm Beach Hotel Cyprus/Famagusta