“Plus and minuses”

Ranked #1 of 4 Kakopetria B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Plus and minuses”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely great anchor restaurant. Friendly young staff and very helpful and patient Mr Aris Aristides. Bathrooms spacious and tries to be modern, and we were pleasantly surprised by their brand of complimentary toiletries. However lights were practically all fluorescent, the cable TV in our room was not working, there was no safe and we had a feeling the whole hotel was not guarded properly although internet reviews and a few interviews concluded the area was safe.

Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,936 helpful votes
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I spent 4 amazing days in Kakopetria on my recent 3 week Business trip to Cyprus and I consider the Mill Hotel where I picked to stay, the landmark of the village. Of course this was not the first time I was here. It is a place you will fall in love and I am sure you will want to visit again and again.

LOBBY-CHECK-IN: The lobby and reception are to be found on the second floor. Checking-in was smooth, swift and efficient and the ladies out there were very friendly like always. It is pleasant to be here the year round, either sitting by the fireplace or overlooking the mountain-view on the terrace. On this same floor there is a sauna as well, but it is available upon request.

LOCATION: Perched atop the river that runs through the village it enjoys the flowing river and overlooks the old village which is unique in architecture and is like a huge, open-air museum. Mind you, the village is the only one of its kind in Cyprus and the Mill Hotel is just 5km from the summit of the Troodos Mountain.

THE HOTEL: Pictures do not and cannot do it justice. I consider it the perfect mountain retreat for holidays and relaxation. The view is breathtaking so if you need to get away from the heat and seek peace and tranquility it is the perfect place to be. It certainly worth a couple of hours drive to swap the frantic life for a laid back and relaxing stay. I urge tourist not to leave Cyprus without even just for once drop by to experience this unbelievably authentic hospitality of the owners and the warm welcoming of the staff. I am positive the stay will be memorable, peaceful and fulfilling. The people here are professionals and the amazing with this hotel is that there are many repeaters.

MY SUITE: The suite was really huge and elegant and the interior exquisite. With its exposed beams and rock, the contrast of the emerald green carpet and terra cotta tiles, the elegant seats with pretty cushions make it a unique place to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings. The colour of the interiors harmoniously balances with the texture and space. You seldom come across teak wood in such extend while the balcony doors and window shutters are so heavy and tough that reminded me of those we see in old castles. The interior has a touch of tradition.

The suite enjoyed a really big balcony that overlooked the old village and the slopes (a breathtaking view) while the sound of the waters below made the stay memorable. (The sound of waters and birds can be heard throughout the village as you take a stroll). You rarely come across such divine country-like accommodation and I had really missed it. My previous visit here was some years back where I spent 8 memorable nights with my husband enjoying part of our summer holidays. Now that I am back, I pleasantly noticed that the Business continues to keep its steady value. In all, it has a lovely rustic feel and after renovations it is still in a very good condition.

BATHROOM: It was spacious with a huge mirror covering a big part of the wall and a marble stand and sink for washing the hands. There is also a Jacuzzi bath tub and a shower but this time instead of the usual aromatic salts, the hotel provides complimentary a Shampoo and a Bath gel. It is the very popular Tamana Organic Line. Towels are changed daily. When I asked for a Body Milk I was brought one, but I did not have one the first day.

Coffee/Tea facilities are not provided but there is always the restaurant on the 3rd floor where you can have whatever you wish. It stays open the whole day till very late at night. There is a mini bar in the suite providing a wide selection of spirits, soft drinks and chocolates…in reasonable cost. There is also a safe in the wardrobe and a hair-drier as well.

TIP: It is well worth paying the extra for the junior suite.

WI FI: Free Wi Fi access throughout the premises.

BREAKFAST: It is served at the dining area of the restaurant and is buffet style. It had everything to fill you up till late afternoon. I would not call it ‘continental’ as the brochure indicates. I would call it a Generous one, however when there are not so many guests it is served individually. I had no idea about this myself so when I showed up a bit late the second morning I thought that I arrived much late and I missed it. In this case, the waiter who is very friendly asks you exactly what you wish to have and it is served directly to your table. Personally I prefer this type of service than buffets but I enjoyed both.

THE RESTAURANT: The Mylos restaurant prides for its succulent trout, but in all I found the cuisine exquisite and very interesting. Whatever I tried was superb and the portions are huge.
There are professional members of the family who are Chefs and cooks here and I asked to meet them to congratulate them for the excellent dishes I tried throughout my stay. This is how I found out about the people behind the restaurant.
Besides the Mylo’s Special Trout that is beyond compare (€18.00) and I highly recommend, I tried the Grilled Prawns for €24.00, and the Pepper tender sirloin for €15.00. The latter was juicy and spice to the extent that was pleasing, and the Prawns were divine.

The Village Salad costs €13.00 -virgin olive oil is used and you could tell that it was freshly cut minutes before serving. I also tried and loved the Avocado Vinaigrette starter (€4.75) I found it refreshing. The smoked Salmon is a starter you should not miss (€6.50) It was amazingly tasty!
There are Cold and Hot Starters like Prawn Cocktail, Grilled Lounza (4 pieces) Stuffed Red Peppers with Spicy Hot Feta Cheese, Cyprus Homemade Sausage, Grilled Mushrooms and several more ranking from €4.00 - €6.50.

Very popular are the Pork Filets with Commandaria and they cost €15.00. There are 7 different Steak dishes ranking from €14.00 and it is the Sirloin (cooked on the grill and is served with French fries or jacket potato) while the most expensive one is the T. Bone which costs €29.00. I cannot comment on this because I have not tried it but I am sure it is excellent like the rest of what I had.

Burgers rank between €5.50 with the Hamburger being the cheapest and both the Cheeseburger with Bacon & Chips and the Chicken Breast in Bund and Chips cost €7.25.
The cheese platter costs €9.00.

BEVERAGE: The Local Keo beer small bottle costs €2.65 while the big one is at €3.50. The wine I really loved and accompanied my dishes with, was one of the excellent wines coming from the ‘Vlassides’ family winery. The owner can recommend the best that really matches with what you order …only ask for it.
It is amazing how much the owners care for their guests so don’t be surprised to see them coming to your table and ask about the food or your stay. Both Father and Son are a wealth of information on things to see and do in the area and no matter how busy they might be they will make the time to sit and chat making your stay a memorable experience. (As you can see, prices are quite reasonable).

TIP: There are special dishes for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Because the restaurant is always busy, it is advisable to make a reservation firstly to secure a better spot but also to assure that you will find a table.

DON’T MISS: If you love culture and history approach Mr. Yianni the owner. There is nothing in the area that he misses, and by all means don’t leave without visiting the Church of Ayios Nicholas tis Stegis. There are several monasteries and Old Churches many of the UNESCO Sites.

IN ALL: My stay here is one to remember thanks to the warm hospitality and friendliness of the owners, the unbeatable team and staff. They do their best to make their customers feel valued guests and this is how I felt out here. Keep the good work up guys, and totally ignore reviews as the one I commented on. You are a bunch of professionals and you have proved it through all these years that we guests keep coming back. I owe you a big Thank You.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank greekcypriot2009
Nottingham, England
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We thought from the other reviews that we were in for a wonderful experience. Sadly that wasn't the case.

The hotel really needs a refurbishment, grey polyester sheets, broken wooden toilet seat, old stained carpet, shower curtain with orange stains, curtains that don't really stop the light as well as in our room one window without a curtain at all.

The beds are rock hard and I like a hard bed so that's saying something. Then to cap it all there was a pigeon nesting in the roof above the balcony, so before 1st light the cooing started. The management must know about this but haven't obviously bothered to do anything about it.

Apparently the restaurant is one of the top restaurants in Kakopetria, that's if you want to pay 20 euros for things like chicken maryland and beef stroganof. Maybe the locals like it. However having said that we had one of the worst meals in Cyprus in one of the restaurants in the centre.

Avoid the Mill and I'd say avoid Kakopetria which is a shame - we moved on to a Casale and the difference is incredible.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a family visit at the end of march/early April 2014. Rooms were huge and very clean. We were very warm on our first night but the receptionist provided us with the remote control for the air conditioning unit. All staff were very attentive and happy to help with any special requirements. The restaurant served lovely food, and again the staff were great. As previously mentioned in another review, the addition of tea/coffee facilities would be a welcome addition. Apart from that we couldn't fault it.

Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We know Kakopetria for the last 20 years.Recently we had a family event which was celebrated their because we like the village very much especially the quaint part of the old village that a creek divides it from the boutique hotel.
Their are only 13 large cosy rooms each facing the stream down below.
Each room is differently furnished in a lovely way but there is a ldisadvantage,no facilities to enjoy a cup of coffe or tea in the roonm because there are'nt electrical kettles for self use in the rooms.The hotel serves nice and rich breakfast.We are looking forward to stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We ate at The Mill following a lovely walk in the pine forests of The Troodos Mountains. The restaurant provided a wonderful meal and peaceful view after our exertions. We drank excellent wine and ate the best trout ever! Service efficient and friendly. Would like to come back with friends.

• Stayed March 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

It is best to rent a car and a GPS unit if you don't hail from Cyprus or read Greek. The location is just an hour's drive from Nicosia. Try to leave when there is still daylight or driving late at night to the location can feel a bit hairy even if it is generally a really safe country.

I was fortunate that a really good friend was also a mutual friend with Arris, the proprietor. Arris not only gave me a free upgrade to. Junior suite but made the effort to check in on me several times and personally give me guidance on walks I could take in the area as well as how to drive to various tourist spots in the Troodos region. He extended the same level of personalized care to another family sitting one table over. It is rare in an age of highly corporatized hotel chains.

The trout is superb and really the only dish you should be ordering if it is your first meal at the restaurant. Breakfast is fresh and comes with to full works of freshly grilled halloumi, select cheeses and the usual elements of a continental breakfast. The rooms are comfortable and adhere to the theme of a traditional Cypriot home in the mountains. Don't come expecting Scandinavian design or the modern decor of the Hyatt, or else you will be disappointed. The decor reminded me a little of a Holiday Inn in Orlando in the early nineties. My room had a fully functional jacuzzi, there was hot running water, clean towels and the sheets were not only clean but comfortable. The fixtures are traditional, functional and all in working order. If you are looking for Philippe Starck-esque furniture then this place is not for you.

The environment is warm, cosy and has a distinctly rustic feel. The balcony was a nice touch and falling asleep listening to the sound of running water outside was a big bonus for me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the bridge and the village.