“Everything was Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 4 Kakopetria B&B and Inns
Kfar Saba, Israel
“Everything was Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

If you are looking for a special place in the Troodos mountains in Cyprus - this is it.

GREAT LOCATION: Situated in the forest, above the river a few minutes walk over the foot bridge to the old town of Kakopetria.

SPECIALNESS: Built at the site of the old town mill, the hotel is built in style of that time. A stone wall in the room similar to that of the mill and a wood balcony overlooking the river with a beautiful view of the mountains are just some of the wonderful special surprises at this hotel.

DELICIOUS: Breakfast is served at the Hotel's famous restaurant, on the 3rd floor with a huge balcony overlooking the forest and mountains. The spread for breakfast was large including both hot and cold dishes. I would have been happy with just sippping the fresh orange juice on the balcony - but everything was delicious.

HELPFUL STAFF: The staff went out of there way to help us, making phone calls to restaurants and getting any info we needed to make our stay more pleasant.

VALUE: Very reasonably priced for such special place, good food and amazing views.

This was definitely one of the most special hotels we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: If you have large suitcases you might want to request a room one the 2nd floor so you don't have...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oran A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The food was really nice, stuffed mushrooms and trout recommend very tasty. This restaurant is worth a visit, both for the food and location it's built on, built on site of an old mill. The town, if fairly big an most relaxing place to spend quietly watching life go by, in any of the little cafés , beautiful park form the town to near by really old churches, also worth a visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

This refurbished mill is a really quirky place unlike anywhere else in Cyprus. Restaurant on the top floor serves excellent local food and has wonderful views of the mountains. We had a standard room which was huge and had a balcony. The spa bath was very welcome after long hot walks. The rooms could do with some refurbishment as there was some wear and tear but were very clean and comfortable. Staff were helpful and welcoming

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely great anchor restaurant. Friendly young staff and very helpful and patient Mr Aris Aristides. Bathrooms spacious and tries to be modern, and we were pleasantly surprised by their brand of complimentary toiletries. However lights were practically all fluorescent, the cable TV in our room was not working, there was no safe and we had a feeling the whole hotel was not guarded properly although internet reviews and a few interviews concluded the area was safe.

Stayed January 2014
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,923 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I spent 4 amazing days in Kakopetria on my recent 3 week Business trip to Cyprus and I consider the Mill Hotel where I picked to stay, the landmark of the village. Of course this was not the first time I was here. It is a place you will fall in love and I am sure you will want to visit again and again.

LOBBY-CHECK-IN: The lobby and reception are to be found on the second floor. Checking-in was smooth, swift and efficient and the ladies out there were very friendly like always. It is pleasant to be here the year round, either sitting by the fireplace or overlooking the mountain-view on the terrace. On this same floor there is a sauna as well, but it is available upon request.

LOCATION: Perched atop the river that runs through the village it enjoys the flowing river and overlooks the old village which is unique in architecture and is like a huge, open-air museum. Mind you, the village is the only one of its kind in Cyprus and the Mill Hotel is just 5km from the summit of the Troodos Mountain.

THE HOTEL: Pictures do not and cannot do it justice. I consider it the perfect mountain retreat for holidays and relaxation. The view is breathtaking so if you need to get away from the heat and seek peace and tranquility it is the perfect place to be. It certainly worth a couple of hours drive to swap the frantic life for a laid back and relaxing stay. I urge tourist not to leave Cyprus without even just for once drop by to experience this unbelievably authentic hospitality of the owners and the warm welcoming of the staff. I am positive the stay will be memorable, peaceful and fulfilling. The people here are professionals and the amazing with this hotel is that there are many repeaters.

MY SUITE: The suite was really huge and elegant and the interior exquisite. With its exposed beams and rock, the contrast of the emerald green carpet and terra cotta tiles, the elegant seats with pretty cushions make it a unique place to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings. The colour of the interiors harmoniously balances with the texture and space. You seldom come across teak wood in such extend while the balcony doors and window shutters are so heavy and tough that reminded me of those we see in old castles. The interior has a touch of tradition.

The suite enjoyed a really big balcony that overlooked the old village and the slopes (a breathtaking view) while the sound of the waters below made the stay memorable. (The sound of waters and birds can be heard throughout the village as you take a stroll). You rarely come across such divine country-like accommodation and I had really missed it. My previous visit here was some years back where I spent 8 memorable nights with my husband enjoying part of our summer holidays. Now that I am back, I pleasantly noticed that the Business continues to keep its steady value. In all, it has a lovely rustic feel and after renovations it is still in a very good condition.

BATHROOM: It was spacious with a huge mirror covering a big part of the wall and a marble stand and sink for washing the hands. There is also a Jacuzzi bath tub and a shower but this time instead of the usual aromatic salts, the hotel provides complimentary a Shampoo and a Bath gel. It is the very popular Tamana Organic Line. Towels are changed daily. When I asked for a Body Milk I was brought one, but I did not have one the first day.

Coffee/Tea facilities are not provided but there is always the restaurant on the 3rd floor where you can have whatever you wish. It stays open the whole day till very late at night. There is a mini bar in the suite providing a wide selection of spirits, soft drinks and chocolates…in reasonable cost. There is also a safe in the wardrobe and a hair-drier as well.

TIP: It is well worth paying the extra for the junior suite.

WI FI: Free Wi Fi access throughout the premises.

BREAKFAST: It is served at the dining area of the restaurant and is buffet style. It had everything to fill you up till late afternoon. I would not call it ‘continental’ as the brochure indicates. I would call it a Generous one, however when there are not so many guests it is served individually. I had no idea about this myself so when I showed up a bit late the second morning I thought that I arrived much late and I missed it. In this case, the waiter who is very friendly asks you exactly what you wish to have and it is served directly to your table. Personally I prefer this type of service than buffets but I enjoyed both.

THE RESTAURANT: The Mylos restaurant prides for its succulent trout, but in all I found the cuisine exquisite and very interesting. Whatever I tried was superb and the portions are huge.
There are professional members of the family who are Chefs and cooks here and I asked to meet them to congratulate them for the excellent dishes I tried throughout my stay. This is how I found out about the people behind the restaurant.
Besides the Mylo’s Special Trout that is beyond compare (€18.00) and I highly recommend, I tried the Grilled Prawns for €24.00, and the Pepper tender sirloin for €15.00. The latter was juicy and spice to the extent that was pleasing, and the Prawns were divine.

The Village Salad costs €13.00 -virgin olive oil is used and you could tell that it was freshly cut minutes before serving. I also tried and loved the Avocado Vinaigrette starter (€4.75) I found it refreshing. The smoked Salmon is a starter you should not miss (€6.50) It was amazingly tasty!
There are Cold and Hot Starters like Prawn Cocktail, Grilled Lounza (4 pieces) Stuffed Red Peppers with Spicy Hot Feta Cheese, Cyprus Homemade Sausage, Grilled Mushrooms and several more ranking from €4.00 - €6.50.

Very popular are the Pork Filets with Commandaria and they cost €15.00. There are 7 different Steak dishes ranking from €14.00 and it is the Sirloin (cooked on the grill and is served with French fries or jacket potato) while the most expensive one is the T. Bone which costs €29.00. I cannot comment on this because I have not tried it but I am sure it is excellent like the rest of what I had.

Burgers rank between €5.50 with the Hamburger being the cheapest and both the Cheeseburger with Bacon & Chips and the Chicken Breast in Bund and Chips cost €7.25.
The cheese platter costs €9.00.

BEVERAGE: The Local Keo beer small bottle costs €2.65 while the big one is at €3.50. The wine I really loved and accompanied my dishes with, was one of the excellent wines coming from the ‘Vlassides’ family winery. The owner can recommend the best that really matches with what you order …only ask for it.
It is amazing how much the owners care for their guests so don’t be surprised to see them coming to your table and ask about the food or your stay. Both Father and Son are a wealth of information on things to see and do in the area and no matter how busy they might be they will make the time to sit and chat making your stay a memorable experience. (As you can see, prices are quite reasonable).

TIP: There are special dishes for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Because the restaurant is always busy, it is advisable to make a reservation firstly to secure a better spot but also to assure that you will find a table.

DON’T MISS: If you love culture and history approach Mr. Yianni the owner. There is nothing in the area that he misses, and by all means don’t leave without visiting the Church of Ayios Nicholas tis Stegis. There are several monasteries and Old Churches many of the UNESCO Sites.

IN ALL: My stay here is one to remember thanks to the warm hospitality and friendliness of the owners, the unbeatable team and staff. They do their best to make their customers feel valued guests and this is how I felt out here. Keep the good work up guys, and totally ignore reviews as the one I commented on. You are a bunch of professionals and you have proved it through all these years that we guests keep coming back. I owe you a big Thank You.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank greekcypriot2009
Nottingham, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

We thought from the other reviews that we were in for a wonderful experience. Sadly that wasn't the case.

The hotel really needs a refurbishment, grey polyester sheets, broken wooden toilet seat, old stained carpet, shower curtain with orange stains, curtains that don't really stop the light as well as in our room one window without a curtain at all.

The beds are rock hard and I like a hard bed so that's saying something. Then to cap it all there was a pigeon nesting in the roof above the balcony, so before 1st light the cooing started. The management must know about this but haven't obviously bothered to do anything about it.

Apparently the restaurant is one of the top restaurants in Kakopetria, that's if you want to pay 20 euros for things like chicken maryland and beef stroganof. Maybe the locals like it. However having said that we had one of the worst meals in Cyprus in one of the restaurants in the centre.

Avoid the Mill and I'd say avoid Kakopetria which is a shame - we moved on to a Casale and the difference is incredible.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a family visit at the end of march/early April 2014. Rooms were huge and very clean. We were very warm on our first night but the receptionist provided us with the remote control for the air conditioning unit. All staff were very attentive and happy to help with any special requirements. The restaurant served lovely food, and again the staff were great. As previously mentioned in another review, the addition of tea/coffee facilities would be a welcome addition. Apart from that we couldn't fault it.

Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kakopetria
Christy's Palace
#5 of 5 in Platres
Forest Park Hotel
Forest Park Hotel
#1 of 5 in Platres

Been to The Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!