“Great Expectations”
Review of No 14 - CLOSED

Price range: US$23 - US$33
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our restaurant and bar is set in a unique location with tables scattered around a pool of an evening. Some people have described it as an oasis but come along and see for yourself.
Reviewed 1 July 2014

After hearing about how good No.14 was we decided to pay it a visit. We were greeted by a charming lady, who I think was one of the owners, we were shown to our table, in a charming courtyard next to the pool, all good so far. We ordered drinks which arrived shortly afterwards, unfortunately the waiter had a bit of a wobble resulting in a drink of apple juice being spilt all over me! The waiter stood there dumbstruck as I jumped up in surprise, the lady of the house was over quickly and apologised and asked if she could lend me a spare pair of trousers whilst she dried mine, I accepted the offer not wanting to sit in soggy apple juice for an hour or so until they dried out. I was offered a very oversize pair of three quarter length trousers which were surprisingly comfortable actually!! So not a great start to the evening. The food was very good in my opinion although 40TL for the chicken breast two members of the party had is far too expensive even in a good restaurant, other main courses were similar in price and offered better value. I had belly pork which was great, very tasty with crispy skin on top, beautiful. For dessert we had Creme Brûlee ice cream and pan cotta both were very good. Unfortunately at the end of our evening at No.14 we had a bit of a disagreement with the management over the bill, we thought we would be offered some sort of discount for having a drink spilt over me, but this was never offered, indeed our last ten minutes or so in there were quite uncomfortable as we heard the owners talking about us (loudly) basically wondering how we had the audacity to expect some recompense for having our evening spoilt in what must be one of the most expensive eateries in Kyrenia. The lady of the house offered us a drink on the house as an apology, well sorry but just about everywhere you go to eat in North Cyprus you are offered a drink on the house at the end of your meal, so if this was an effort apologise it was a poor one, I also mentioned that the waiter who spilt the drink didn't apologise for doing so, this was disputed (quite loudly) and the waiter involved was summoned to the table (poor bloke!) where he said he apologised twice, perhaps he did but in a voice that was certainly too low for me to hear and I was right next to him! He hastily made another apology which I did hear! We left.
Mistakes/accidents happen it's how you deal with them afterwards that matters and in our case the owners of No.14 dealt with the situation very poorly, we were after all customers going to a very expensive restaurant and expecting a good meal in pleasant surroundings served by courteous and attentive staff. Our evening started off badly and ended terribly the whole situation completely mis- managed by overly arrogant owners.
As a footnote I would add that I am used to eating in top class restaurants across Europe and have never experienced such poor customer service skills as displayed by the hosts at No.14.

We we go back, sadly, probably not!!

2  Thank Robin B
kay m, Owner at No 14, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Readers

I am sure you can all appreciate that there is two sides to every story and on this particular occasion the person or persons involved have taken it upon themselves to use Trip Advisor as a tool not to review the food or the establishment but to pass personal judgement on my husbands and my characters which I believe should not be done so publicly on a social platform such as trip advisor.

i do wonder though that if we had complied with the demands made from the reviewer to give them credit on the meal for the spilling of the drink incident wether this review would have been written at all.

kind regards

Kay & Cliff

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were advised by our hotel that this restaurant was worth a visit, Well what can I say other than wish we had found it earlier on in our holiday. Beautiful surroundings set around the pool, the proprietors were a lovely couple that made you feel very welcome.
My partner had the Belly pork and I had the duck, the taste and presentation was top class. A must for everyone, especially if your a foodie.

kay m, Owner at No 14, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

We are so pleased that your experience at No 14's was a pleasant one and we appreciate you taking the time to review our establishment. We do hope we see you on your next visit to Northern Cyprus.

Kind regards

Kay & Cliff

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Went here for dinner with my husband on a Thursday night two weeks ago.
We have a lovely meal there. This was our second visit to this restaurant and it does not fail.
Setting is lovely round the pool area and we got talking to the couple next to us who also happened to be a Scottish!
It has a lot to live up to to bear efendi, but it is a close run thing.

kay m, Owner at No 14, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at No 14. We appreciate your comments and hope to see you again dining with us in the near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fantastic restaurant with amazing food. The whole evening from start to finish was first class. Very attentive staff especially Kemal who was exceptionally helpful, nothing was too much trouble. The rib eye steak and bannoffee pie were to die for. Will definitely be returning back to this restaurant.

kay m, Owner at No 14, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Reviewed 28 June 2014

After visiting here a few years ago we had 2 more meals recently. Service, food and atmosphere all very good indeed. Gazpacho lollipops starter a particular delight ! In top price bracket for Northern Cyprus but worth it.

kay m, Owner at No 14, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014