“Fantastic place”

Old Grapevine Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 273 Restaurants in Kyrenia
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Unacceptably rude service and a “so-called” apple-pie in a “so-called” fancy restaurant. Sometimes the ambiance or live-music is not enough. Actually, it makes the whole experience of dining even more disappointing especially because of the façade of the place.So when we read about the live jazz band coming from NY and having a jam session with the local musicians of N. Cyprus in Girne (Kyrenia), my husband and I got quite excited. We reserved a small table for two at Old Grapevine Restaurant at 9.30 pm. Our idea was to skip a big dinner, get couple of drinks, some dessert etc. Well, apparently, that initiated the whole series of episodes with the head waiter who was very determined to give us a hard time for not ordering the most expensive food on the menu. I dislike such an attitude like most people because it is just another way of saying “we only care about the money you leave here, and nothing else.” Their “welcome sir/madam” greeting with a fake smile was literarily frozen the moment they learned that we are not dining. It was so rude and so visible. I asked about the dessert of the day, what he would recommend (they had 4 items on the menu) and he said they are all available and fine (“fine” turns out to be his favorite word, we learned as the time went by). I asked if they have filtered coffee and he said not with a grumpy and distant tone. So I ordered Turkish coffee and water, my husband ordered his drink and appetizer and then once again he asked: What do you want to drink? I stared at him almost blank and finally gathered that he doesn’t count non-alcoholic drinks as drink. Anyways, the tension got even worse when I got my “so-called” apple pie. There was no crust, only a thin top layer with some sticky boiled or canned pieces of apple underneath which falsified very clearly his claims of “fine” and fresh. I am 36 yrs. old, I have never had such bad apple-pie in my entire life. What a joke! No cinnamon, no crust, no nothing. When I complained about it, he ignored my comments and with mostly sign-language and an attitude, he said that is how it is there and took my plate away. I did not want to be rude by starting an argument which should have been the case but there was live music, which -by the way- most people were indifferent to. Sometime later, I asked about the white wine list he initially brought and so here are the exact words from our “dialogue”: “Can I get the wine menu please?” “Do you want white wine?” “No, I’d like to get the wine list.” “Well, unless you are going to order a bottle, we have only one type of white wine.” (I count 1-2-3 just to calm down) “OK. What kind of wine is that?” (and here you can imagine, I am expecting some descriptive words such as “fruity, dry, semi-sweet etc.”) “Fine wine.” Silence. I gave him a confused look. Mind you he is the head waiter. He repeats: “Fine. I mean, it is good.” After I finished my wine and enjoyed some more live jazz as much as I could with a sour mood we both had, we asked for the bill and left the place during the intermission. This restaurant is the perfect example to how the waiters can ruin a potentially nice atmosphere by displaying a completely rude and ill-mannered customer service. The fancy setting in Old Grapevine may fool you at first so be aware of the service, price, and the attitude towards the customers.
yorkshire
“Fantastic place”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Not the most alluring location - between two petrol stations - but definitely worth a visit when you tire of the harbour. Good food at good prices. Quiet and comfortable. I would definitely recommend and go back myself.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank bigkiffer

• Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'd go again”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I loved this restaurant firstly for its decor and then soft relaxing music. I couldn't fault the service or the food. I had fresh fish with lots of vegetables. A great experience and if I visited Kyrenia again I would certainly go back

• Visited April 2013
Waterford, Ireland
“A pleasant restaurant”
Reviewed 7 March 2013

A typical Cypriot house of yesteryear has been adapted to form this attractive restaurant which is a popular watering hole for local Brits as well as visitors. The menu caters for those who miss old fashioned simple English dishes as well as local fare.
It makes no pretence at being a gourmet restaurant but rather it is a very comfortable place to relax with a straightforward meal with a glass of wine,a beer or raki.
There is an attractive courtyard where the former cistern has been converted to create a courtyard bar as well as the bar inside

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice to see Kulay/Jimmy back in charge..better again”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

An old haunt of ours , the management of which has changed hands a number of times since we have been coming but is always best when the owner, Kutlay/Jimmy is back in charge, as he is at the moment
good honest home cooking...nice fresh veggies and lots of them .good meat and fish. It doesn't try to be anything other than what it is. The chicken liver pate is always a favorite here and its still the best on the island.
excellent brandy sours

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Old Tradiitional”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Located behind a petrol station,this may put you off but don't let it. This old converted "Han" Inn is a gem. It is an old fashioned bar / pub with good quality food. The atmosphere is intimate and very cosy with a stone fireplace And in the summer they move the bar and dinning room out into the courtyard. It certainly is not to be missed when in Cyprus.