“Nice little place with honest Cypriot food”
Review of Mayfair - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mayfair
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Description: Next door to Stone Arch.
Description: Next door to Stone Arch.
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Nice little place with honest Cypriot food”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We took a chance on this place after being rather unimpressed with what the harbour area had to offer one evening.

Set in a lovely courtyard setting at the top of the stairs next to The Stone Arch and above Set Restaurant. We were drawn in by the charming waiter and the menu. We went for meze as a starter (apparently you get meze with everything here!) and then two main courses, water and a couple of beers. The food was very good and very tasty, and the service was good too. The best part by far was the bill 54TL, which is incredibly reasonable. Ignore the fact that the menu is handwritten or on a chalkboard - that's just charm.

Is this the best restaurant in town (because it actually is in Kyrenia town and not 30 minutes drive outside) Probably not - but it serves good honest Cypriot food at very reasonable prices. I would recommend you try this out - if just the once and just as a break from the harbour area.

• Visited October 2012

Manchester
“Nice setting shame about the food”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Having stumbled across what on the face of it was a nice restaurant in a lovely setting we were very disappointed with the food and service. The tradditional meze came with a selection of cold baked beans, last nights cold potatoes, some traditional Cypriot parts and sliced white bread as they do not serve pitta or local bread. The main was slightly better but nothing to write home about......best avoided

York, England
“Wonderfully tender Kleftiko followed by Baklava”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

A nice little restaurant off the beaten track in Kyrenia, our family enjoyed a traditional turkish 3 course meal served by a friendly waiter

• Visited October 2011
Nottinghamshire, England
“Don't let the setting influence you.”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Beautiful setting in open courtyard, friendly persuasive waiter, BUT.... the food was extremely dissapointing. I ordered battered squid but I think the squid had escaped! It was also undercooked with the batter so thick that it was almost raw in the centre. I was only able to eat the very thiin sqid rings inside. In fairness the waiter did come back to me and ask if I would like someting else but my partner had also been unhappy with his meal (although it was edible) so I wasn't prepared to take the risk. Maybe I jusy chose the wrong thing of the menu, but I wouldn't go back. This is the first time that I have felt strongly enough to write a negative restaurant review.

• Visited September 2011