“The most "DODGY" hotel I have been to in the past decade....”

Amorgos Boutique Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Larnaka City
India
“The most "DODGY" hotel I have been to in the past decade....”
Reviewed 9 April 2011

I made a reservation 30days in advance and reconfirmed my reservation prior to my journey. Upon arrival (after a 15hour flight travel), I was politely asked by the front desk to be seated for 10 minutes. I thought that was very thoughtful and they were perhaps getting the room ready. After 10 minutes the lady comes to me a with a brochure of another hotel and informs me that they are unable to give me a room for tonight as they are full and I could come back tomorrow. I have the hotel's signed and stamped booking confirmation and they are telling me they are full !! Surprisingly, and annoyed at myself, I recollected a similar review about this hotel that I had read in the past on tripadvisor and cursed myself for not having followed their advice to stay clear.... I have been a business traveller since that past decade and never ONCE have I encountered such a situation... I did manage to find another hotel for one night and on insistence of my local business partner came back to check in the following day due to office convenience situations... but... on my next trip I would definitely not come back to this hotel....

A non-biased view on room quality:
The rooms smell of excessive room freshener...
The pillows are extremely thick... putting the sleep quality at an incredibly low level...
The breakfast is decent though...
Internet is charged to the room depending on hourly usage...

My thoughts:
I have travelled a lot and stayed at all kinds of hotels, but this is by far the most 'dodgy' hotel that I have come across... It all looks nice and proper from the face value, but scratch the surface you you will be extremely surprised by what can come you way on stay of this hotel... This could be a good dormitory for tight budget airline company/staff but PLEASE be very careful going to this hotel for leisure or business... It could break your your trip...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Aby-Bubs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Breakfast, room, staff, service, amenities all excellent. Cleanliness & room interio decoration is trendy & stylish. The noise from the close night club(4m away from hotel) was too loud. Hotel staff couldn't do anything about it. Ear plugs don't even help alot as the rooms where shaking from the bass. That's the only con!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Abibi1984
London England
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Booked through Hotels 4U, for one night prior to departing on cruise from Larnaca. When we arrived reception had no trace of our booking. They could not have been more gracious and helpfu, giving us pots of tea while they tried to sort it out, but couldn't. They had the two rooms we needed and did not want a deposit or anything, saying they would take it up with the company.

We had 1 twin superior room and one Double Grande Superior room. Both superb. Absolutely beautifully designed with the greatest range of bathroom accessories I have ever had at this level..certainly up to 5 star quality.

Breakfast was really extensive with all the usual continental and full English options, and good coffee and tea, fresh fruit etc.

The hotel is unpromisingly in a tiny back street but is 50 Yards from the seafront, and close to all the main shops and the Marina. Huge number of places to eat. We tried Monte Carlo where the Cyprus Meze was all we could eat and they gave us extra wine and liquer and staff very friendly.

The hotel is 15 euro taxi from the airport.

Recommended without any single reservation for those with a need for an overnight stop. We weren't here long enpoiugh to know how it would work out for a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sammysLondonEngland
Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Hotel is located in a great area. You can walk everywhere you need to go for basic needs. Staff was very friendly and extra helpful. Lobby is nice and decorated in a modern way. Room was a bit small but shower was good and bed was comfortable and I loved the little gifts they left for me. Just keep in mind, there are clubs etc next door or very close by, if you'd like to sleep earlier than 2am, try to get a higher floor room, otherwise you will hear the music from next door until they close.I did not have a chance to try to breakfast but seemed pretty good. They allowed me a late check out due to my very late arrival the night before, which helped a lot. Everyone I spoke with from the staff knew English and they did not hesitate to go out of their way to assist me. I'd love to go back for a personal trip...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Groningen
Reviewed 12 October 2010

The Amorgas hotel is a convenient hotel just behind the boulevard in the city of Larnaca. Restaurants, cafe's, bars and the beach are just a hundred meters away. The rooms are decorated in a modern style and well equipped. Internet is available and you can pay per hour, 3 hours or 24 hours. Just 50 meters away on the boulevard you can get a taxi. A taxi wil costs about € 12,-- to or from the airport.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank normandic
Cyprus
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Stayed here one night and really enjoyed it. The hotel is fairly small but has modern decor and is located in a back street behind the Promenade. There is a nightclub opposite which can be slightly loud, especially in the early hours with people leaving but if windows are shut very little sound comes in. The staff were excellent and there is a car park at the side, ask reception for free voucher. the room was a good size and looked just like the photo on the website although the bathroom was tiny. The hot breakfast was nice but pretty basic and lots of it. Altogether this hotel was comfortable and good value for money.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank CyprusLily
South Wales
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Having read the excellent reviews from Tripadvisor customers I decided to book the Amorgos hotel as the location seemed perfect for our one night stay in Larnaca - we needed to be right in the centre of town and this seemed ideal.
I booked a room on the hotel website and I received a confirmation email with a reservation number. As we would be arriving at around 1am I also telephoned the hotel to check that this would be OK and I was assured that it would be no problem.
We had been travelling most of the day and were looking forward to a good nights sleep. However, upon arriving at the Amorgos we were told by the man on reception that there was no room available as there had been some problem with the pipes?! and we would have to go to another hotel that he had booked for us. When we asked why he had not tried to contact us before hand he merely shrugged and said he thought there would be no point as he assumed we would have been travelling that day (despite him having my mobile number). Obviously we were pretty naffed off at his 'tough luck nothing I can do about it" attitude. He called a taxi and agreed to pay the fare. After about 10 minutes drive we realised we were heading out of town and the taxi driver said the hotel we were going to was about 8 km out of town. As this defeated the whole object of our stay we asked to be taken back to the Amorgos. The same man on reception seemed surprised to see us again and we explained that the location of the hotel he was sending us to was not suitable.

My husband asked him to sort out the problem and find us a hotel in town as we had been expecting. He seemed quite put out that we had not taken his first offer but then made some more phone calls and eventually said he had found us a room nearby, but we would have to return to the Amorgos in the morning as the other hotel did not serve breakfast.
At this point we were so annoyed as he didn't really seem to care that much about the inconvenience caused. We had no choice but to go once again with the taxi driver who indeed dropped us off in town and drove away immediately as I'm sure he didn't want to be caught up in the conflict!
By now it was around 2am. The man at reception of this second hotel said he hadn't received any phone call and knew nothing about our situation and was definitely not expecting us - when we mentioned the Amorgos he just rolled his eyes as if he wasn't at all surprised. He offered us a room and by now we were quite desperate and had no other choice but to take it. Although we were grateful that we had been offered a room this hotel was particularly shabby, threadbare and run down and we probably would not have chosen to stay had we any other choice. Fortunately despite the run down state of the room the beds were fortunately clean and we could at least get a night's sleep and we were grateful - no thanks to "Mr Amorgos'. (I do not wish to name this particular hotel as we were grateful for their help and the staff were very friendly the next morning and allowed us a late check out with no extra charge). Therefore, I cannot comment on the Amorgos hotel as a place to stay - because we were not given the opportunity - but beware if you decide to book - you may end up with no room there at all and their unprofessional attitude gave the impression that little did they care!

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple