“We had a mixed experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Amorgos Boutique Hotel
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Larnaka City
Bangalore
“We had a mixed experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here from 26th to 29th July. The staff were friendly and helpful but as the lift was often out of order we had a lot of trouble especially when we had to lug our baggage down the day we left. The staff helped us though and got us a taxi also. Internet was too expensive-they gave us a little discount but it was still too high. The bathroom basin and shower designs were perhaps meant to be very modern, but water invariably splashed out of the basins and the shower was like a locker room with just a panel to cover the upper body from the person sitting in the bedroom-not our style as we need some privacy! There was not even information about trips and excursions that could be taken perhaps this is a general problem in Larnaca! We may not return to Larnaca and not perhaps seek out the same hotel

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gourmandBangalore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

To start with the possitive, it's on a good location (although located in a scary alley) very close to the beach and to the center of the city. I did not have any problems with my booking, and I booked it through an online provider. Also, the rooms where adequate for what I paied, and spacious. However, the staff (minimum staff) has a very lets-get-over-with-it attitude and looks to take care only of the bureaucratic check-in check-out staff. The breakfast was sad, and wifi internet did not work (but then again it never did in all 3 hotels that I visited in Cyprus...). Overall however, value for money is relatively good.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
UAE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

I read the reviews before I booked and decided to stay there anyway even though there were a few bad reviews about problems with check in. I should have avoided on account of the reviews as EXACTLY the same thing happened.

I booked online before we went and the payment went through from my credit card. Turned up on the day, at check in time and asked by reception to take a seat. We patiently waited up to an hour before I started to ask what the delay was.... only then did they said they had found the booking but had absolutely NO rooms available, even though they had taken our booking and money! They had started searching around other hotels to transfer us to without even telling us. My partner took all our bags back to the car in disgust whilst I waited in the hotel reception. It seemed to be only when they then spotted I was 7 months pregnant that they 'found' us a room - within a few minutes.

Also I had booked and paid for a superior room - which I didn't believe we were given but I didn't have the energy (or inclination) to argue with the receptionist at that point and was just grateful to not have to be moved to another hotel as was tired from the travelling. We stayed our one night and left.

It was a shame as the hotel itself wasn't too bad - but I would advise to take note of the other reviews stating the same problem.

Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

I made a reservation 30days in advance and reconfirmed my reservation prior to my journey. Upon arrival (after a 15hour flight travel), I was politely asked by the front desk to be seated for 10 minutes. I thought that was very thoughtful and they were perhaps getting the room ready. After 10 minutes the lady comes to me a with a brochure of another hotel and informs me that they are unable to give me a room for tonight as they are full and I could come back tomorrow. I have the hotel's signed and stamped booking confirmation and they are telling me they are full !! Surprisingly, and annoyed at myself, I recollected a similar review about this hotel that I had read in the past on tripadvisor and cursed myself for not having followed their advice to stay clear.... I have been a business traveller since that past decade and never ONCE have I encountered such a situation... I did manage to find another hotel for one night and on insistence of my local business partner came back to check in the following day due to office convenience situations... but... on my next trip I would definitely not come back to this hotel....

A non-biased view on room quality:
The rooms smell of excessive room freshener...
The pillows are extremely thick... putting the sleep quality at an incredibly low level...
The breakfast is decent though...
Internet is charged to the room depending on hourly usage...

My thoughts:
I have travelled a lot and stayed at all kinds of hotels, but this is by far the most 'dodgy' hotel that I have come across... It all looks nice and proper from the face value, but scratch the surface you you will be extremely surprised by what can come you way on stay of this hotel... This could be a good dormitory for tight budget airline company/staff but PLEASE be very careful going to this hotel for leisure or business... It could break your your trip...

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Aby-Bubs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Breakfast, room, staff, service, amenities all excellent. Cleanliness & room interio decoration is trendy & stylish. The noise from the close night club(4m away from hotel) was too loud. Hotel staff couldn't do anything about it. Ear plugs don't even help alot as the rooms where shaking from the bass. That's the only con!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Abibi1984
London England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2010

Booked through Hotels 4U, for one night prior to departing on cruise from Larnaca. When we arrived reception had no trace of our booking. They could not have been more gracious and helpfu, giving us pots of tea while they tried to sort it out, but couldn't. They had the two rooms we needed and did not want a deposit or anything, saying they would take it up with the company.

We had 1 twin superior room and one Double Grande Superior room. Both superb. Absolutely beautifully designed with the greatest range of bathroom accessories I have ever had at this level..certainly up to 5 star quality.

Breakfast was really extensive with all the usual continental and full English options, and good coffee and tea, fresh fruit etc.

The hotel is unpromisingly in a tiny back street but is 50 Yards from the seafront, and close to all the main shops and the Marina. Huge number of places to eat. We tried Monte Carlo where the Cyprus Meze was all we could eat and they gave us extra wine and liquer and staff very friendly.

The hotel is 15 euro taxi from the airport.

Recommended without any single reservation for those with a need for an overnight stop. We weren't here long enpoiugh to know how it would work out for a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sammysLondonEngland
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

Hotel is located in a great area. You can walk everywhere you need to go for basic needs. Staff was very friendly and extra helpful. Lobby is nice and decorated in a modern way. Room was a bit small but shower was good and bed was comfortable and I loved the little gifts they left for me. Just keep in mind, there are clubs etc next door or very close by, if you'd like to sleep earlier than 2am, try to get a higher floor room, otherwise you will hear the music from next door until they close.I did not have a chance to try to breakfast but seemed pretty good. They allowed me a late check out due to my very late arrival the night before, which helped a lot. Everyone I spoke with from the staff knew English and they did not hesitate to go out of their way to assist me. I'd love to go back for a personal trip...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business