“Could have been better”

Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Larnaka City
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Could have been better”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

You get what you pay for with the hotel until you get into your room which i would have expected a little better. its great to have aircon in such a hot place but when you can't turn the thing off as they have given you the wrong remote it starts to get a little cold. The breakfast was awful really so we ended up out first thing in the morning. its seemed to me the other guests didnt have a ounce of consideration in them as they slammed doors at 12 at night and then again at 6 in the morning whilst shouting in the corridors. i have seen wafer thin ham thicker than the pillows and one was stained yellow and didn't have a case on it plus the mattress was solid and not comfortable at all. now for the good parts, the bar and its staff where nice and without doubt the bar frappe was the best in Cyprus and only 2 euros. The pool was clean, infact the whole hotel was clean and tidy, the staff would help with anything you needed to know. always a sunbed if you wanted ( although i wasn't at the hotel in the day ). All in all, cheap hotel could be slight better but for the money i would stay again.

Room Tip: Maybe try the apartments
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
mirlitron
Reviewed 6 January 2011

All you really need when you go away is a bed, a shower and a breakfast. If you do your job right, you shouldn't need to be in the hotel between 8am and 10pm. So when we arrived we almost boked. We went to an internet cafe after dinner to find somewhere else to sleep. Sadly, Cyprus has no good quality low price hotels. It's either a resort or a dingy half-way house. When we noticed the cook and maid scuffing her feet we thought she must hate her job. Turns out she's actually pretty good at cooking with a very tight budget. I was never in to eat dinner but my friend was and she said dinner was always pretty tasty. Breakfast was a disaster but it did what it needed to do. Cold meats, boiled eggs, tang and very bad coffee. I always had toast and a wee bit muesli. The milk wasn't UHT though; it was proper British tasting milk.
Bathroom was tiny and the shower head reached my chest. Water pressure was minimal and although it was over 30 degrees C outside, I still didn't like showering in the cold water every day.
Sleep was rather hard. The pillows were as harsh as sandpaper and as thin as a handkercheif. Asked the maid for a second one which she gave us (which was really nice of her) but it didn't help. Bed was really tough. Windows let in all sorts of noise from the streets and for a very quiet city, there sure was a lot of noise down the back streets. People in the hotel were loud, boorish and there were babies crying everywhere. It all came to a head on the last night when 3 cockroaches began serenading one another. Found one, killed it, tried to sleep but couldn't get the noise out my head. Found a second, killed it, tried to sleep but still couldn't get that horrible ringing noise out my head. Found a third, killed it, terrorised by cockroaches and couldn't sleep. Around 3 o'clock the babies started. Around 6 o'clock the men outside started shouting and cars started honking/ Around 7 I could tell my mate had fallen asleep because of the ample snoring. Not really the hotel's fault that but...
Overall, I was there to visit a friend's school which was a 45 minute walk which was perfect as I got to walk through the old part of town and enjoy the sunsets every night. It's a peaceful town and I always felt safe. The pool was clean and a massive beer was but 3 euros. Staff on the whole were friendly and helpful. We got what we paid for, basically.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Larnaka City hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 29 October 2010

For £18 a night, you won't find a better place in Larnaca. I was travelling by myself and meeting friends in Larnaca. It's close to downtown and the beach, and the area isn't too loud at night. The staff are friendly and helpful, the pool is clean and so are the rooms. it's not a 4 star hotel by no means, but it doesn't say it is. It's super cheap and cheerful, for the money it's the cheapest easily.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Joe F
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I was in Cyprus in spring.
Pre-season prices were very attractive price.
The hotel is located near the center and within walking distance in about 15-20 minutes. Good location for exploring the city to go, as well as the sea.

The downside is the lack of good transportation to the airport. It remains to use the taxi service

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank IrekW
Cookham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Just got back from a 10 day stay at Larco. I was there with a group of friends, all there first time in Cyprus. The rooms were dated and uncomfortable. My room had an adjoining door to the next room that had a gap at the top and bottom, so if the room next door left their light on it shone through into ours at night. The sound proofing was therefore non-exsistent so we heard them going to the toilet which was nothing less than unpleasant. The pool was dirty and the tiles chipped. The staff were rude and made you feel completely unwelcome. There had been mention of a sea view. I can only imagine getting a sea view if they offered helicopter rides from the roof. All in all a disappointment and I would warn anyone to look elsewhere and if other hotels are slightly more expensive its worth paying for as this was not worth the money paid.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Pompton Lakes, NJ
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Cockroaches, broken appliances, gray linens (they were white once)... in short - worst nightmare! I'd rather sleep in the airport than seeing this hotel ever again...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kloobok
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 5 June 2010

That was the firist time I visit cyprus,
when i came it was after midnight , so tired , I fined
my rest in the good room,
in the morning, I had met the best smiling face I had ever seen
she was Suzana in the reception.
she was the most helpful person to me.
I admired her manner in dealing with my friends,
she was trying to help them although most of them didnot know good english
nearly all of my friends told me in the last night in cyprus
that they will not forget the (receptionest smiling face) as they described.
for me I prepare to visit cyprus may be in november.
and I wish that I can see her (Suzana) in the hotel.
because she promised to help me booking in my next trip

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business