“Very small thin dark beach”

Crowne Plaza Limassol
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I travelled when the weather was a little cooler to this hotel. I did want a nice beach but actually it was kind of muddy and extremely small. So the city location with a beach is a bit of a misnomer. The location is near debenhams. And by no means can you walk to anything central. Its just closer to 'down town' than most hotels.
All the good hotels are east along the coast in 'tourist area'. There are 1 or 2 hotels near down town but don's let that be your driver. The one in the middle of town is without coast. Its a great new hotel and nice for dinner, which I did. The other I hear is an old hotel which has much character and might be worth a look... Currium.
But the town is spread out the way LA is and you don't walk anywhere. Do you might as well be in hotel area, ie the east.
I had just moved to Cyprus when I went and stayed there. So I discovered all of this as a newbee.

The restaurants in Limassol are fab because there are so many rich russians to serve. I'd say there are about 3 high end ones and 3 mid to high end. Pretty good.

The Crowne Plaza is pretty much a business hotel. The beach as I say isn't good, so you wouldn't go for a beach holiday. You can swim in the sea and the pool isn't bad.
If they got the food right then this would be a good business hotel to stay at and grab a casual dip in the sea.
Not really for tourists or weddings.

I will try another next time. Probably the Londa. Which looks tres modern.
Looking forward to another dip in the sea! when my job permits.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank PeC852
PetrosPierides, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear PeC852,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Limassol.

It is indeed a shame that you did not have the chance to visit the hotel during the summer, as I am sure you would have enjoyed the beach, as well as our local beach bar Lime. As you say the Crowne Plaza Limassol is not located on a wide stretch of beach, but rather it is nestled in a protected sandy bay which forms part of Limassol marine protected area.

You are indeed correct; we are located near Debenhams, as well as being the closest beach hotel to the city centre and the old town. Limassol is sprawling as you say and so location is always a matter of personal convenience. For many of our guests time is of the essence; they like to make the most of their time and so a 5 minute rather than 25 minute bus ride to see the Limassol Medieval Castle or to reach their meeting makes a difference. Many of our guest also enjoy the pleasant 3 -10 minute evening walk along the Limassol seafront promenade leading to various restaurants in our neighbourhood.

We are glad you enjoy Limassol so much as a destination and hope you enjoy your next visit!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights at the beginning or May in the Olympian Executive Suite. The suite was nice and spacious and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and we did not want to get up in the mornings. The suite had a very large balcony overlooking the pool and the sea. Very nice to have a coffee in the morning with that view!

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in when visiting Cyprus and in my view, it beats a lot of the 5 star hotels. Why? Well, it is the staff who make this hotel what it is. From the bellboy to the waiting staff in the bar and restaurant, they are all so pleasant and eager to do anything they can to make your stay more enjoyable. The only negative for me if there was one is that I was not really keen on the location as not many restaurants within walking distance. But that is my personal view and others may have a different view.

I would definitely return to this hotel when in Cyprus and can highly recommend it.

Room Tip: You must get a sea view room as the non sea view rooms overlook a busy road and have no balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
PetrosPierides, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Baflyer50,

Thank you for your kind words about the Crowne Plaza Limassol team! They will be very pleased to read that their efforts made such a difference to your stay. If you do indeed return to the hotel please ask for me at the Front Desk, as I would be happy to give you some recommendations for restaurants in the area that you may not have had the chance to try. If you didn't dine at Fat Fish or Benzai this time around, they are definitely worth a visit next time.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We are a couple that came for business and a little leisure.
Firstly our taxi driver was very nice. We were greeted at reception by Costas who is just the sweetest guy and very knowledgable. His English is very good, they even know some Russian on reception! I was pleased with their sensitivity to foreigners and help with us that don't know the local ways.
I was a little upset with recent reviews that mention they aren't paid well. I'd recommend that they get more, they deserve it!

One important comment. I felt a little coerced into writing a good review. After I made a nice comment to a staff, a manager I think, they talked about how I should definitely put this review on this website. I wonder how many others are cooerced.

There were a few children in the hotel, young ones. Which is nice. And well behaved. I heard these are the owners grandchildren. Very cute.

I agree with the other reviews that the food isn't great. I'd say its a higher quality in the other European cities we have been to.
I also feel that the sleep was no good. The walls aren't great. We have been to Cyprus before and the building was better, with walls that did't allow the sound to travel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank N Elena C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear N Elena C,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad that you received a good welcome. We are always very grateful for our guest’s feedback and are particularly pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. We will certainly work on the points that you have raised to ensure we cover all the little things.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and We look forward to serving you better in the future.

JP Ocampo

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed a while back but now since I'm on here I'll add this to my list.

The reception staff were all good. I was happy with the efficiency and they are very friendly.
I got talking to some staff around the place and mentioned that the food is pricey and not very impressive. They said that this is to be able to afford the high wages. The staff aren't paid too well at all. This is a shame as they work very hard. The bar staff are very attentive and kind.

The other worry I have here though is that I didn't sleep so well. The bed was not great quality and I could hear my neighbours on both sides.
I see that there are many reviews with this complaint. I hope that something is done to correct it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JLS324
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear JLS324,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We were pleased to see your high scores for Cleanliness and Service. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We are couple that came for weekend in Limassol and we stayed at Crown plaza.
First, on the arrival , Costa from the reception welcome us very friendly and was check us in very fast.
after that he gave some good advises to eat and visit in Limassol.
Room:
we stayed in a king room with balcony and sea view.
The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and also the pillows. generally we liked very much the room. It is nice to wake up in the morning and open the the day with an amazing sea view from the balcony.
Food:
we ate in the hotel just breakfast. the breakfast was served as a Buffet, included varied kinds of everything. There is a fresh orange juice that we really liked.
we didn't ordered anything from the Bar/resturant so I can't give a word about that.
Facilities:
We used the indoor and outdoor swimming pool, clean and nice.
also there is a gym and sauna.
The private beach is part of the hotel area. clean shore and nice to have an evening walk before sunset.
I did some Snorkling and see some nice Fish.
The location of the hotel is right next to a bus station. we bought every day a day ticket and used the bus ( Line 30) to jump between placaes in the city.

I really recommend that hotel with the kind of room that we had.

Room Tip: King room with balcony and sea view floor 4
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tal S
PetrosPierides, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Tal S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza Limassol on Trip Advisor!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your weekend break; that you found the location ideal for getting around town, that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and that the room was to your liking. I will also pass on your kind words to Costas at the Front Desk.

On your next trip to Limassol you might also try diving in the area. Diagonally opposite the hotel an underwater artificial reef is in the process of being created, which should make for some great fish-spotting opportunities!

We hope to see you at the Crowne Plaza Limassol again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a nice hotel, it needs to be updated. I stayed there for only one day but I enjoyed it. The breakfast is nothing to rave about. Not much selection and prices are are way too expensive for what you get. Location is good if you have to work in town or at the port.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Limassol, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear hydrosurveyor,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. It is always lovely to read that you have enjoyed your short stay with us. I am truly sorry to hear that the breakfast served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. Your comments have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Janice A

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed over Easter in the Olympian Suite which was stunning. The bathroom was large and the fixtures and fittings of a very high standard. In the general areas it is a well cared for, spotless hotel, the attention to detail is excellant and the pool and external areas are also stunning. The staff were all friendly, helpful and smartly dressed and we were particulary impressed by Marianna at the pool bar where we often lunched. She was always prepared to go that "extra mile" and was always smiling even when really busy. The one dissappointment was the evening buffet which for 30 euros was sadly lacking in choice. My husband had wanted the fish and prawn dish that took over 20 minutes to be replenished and the replacement did not look or taste very good. One of the staff was aware of my husbands displeasure and offered a steak as an alternative. This was accepted and approved of plus a free coffee for me!! This does seem to be an area that gets a lot of negative feedback (breakfast and evening) which is a shame and I am surprised it has not been addresssed. Apart from this we were very impressed with the hotel and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue187049

Dear Sue,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Easter holidays with us at the Crowne Plaza Limassol!

I will certainly pass on your kind words to our Executive Housekeeper for maintaining a spotless hotel and of course to Marianna at the pool bar. We will also look into the issue you raise regarding the evening buffet. We try to offer a variety of dining options at the hotel: La Brezza our fine dining Italian fusion restaurant, the Lounge Bar for more casual meals and the Haven Restaurant buffets which are primarily for our terms guests. I would like to apologize for the specific dish running out, while being pleased that the restaurant team was able to at least partly address the issue on the spot.

We hope that you will indeed return to sunny Cyprus for another relaxing break soon...