“Classic charm”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Brussels
“Classic charm”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Still feeling the after-effects of one week of bliss in the Amathus Hotel. After a change of ownership and management, the hotel has been revamped. Its services got a new, fresh look. For a returning guest like me, these changes can be evidently seen and are very welcome.

The hotel's strongest asset is its staff. Like always, I cannot praise the staff enough for their hard work. From the time of booking until the time of having your luggage loaded into your car to leave, Amathus staff are amazing. With scorching temperatures of over 40 degrees centigrade, outdoor staff do their best to make guests feel comfortable, catering to every need. Here, the guest is King.

Being a Cypriot myself, I was pleased to find that more local staff are now employed. A couple of years ago it was difficult to order in Greek, as there weren't so many Cypriots employed. But this time was different and it seems that the management have managed to strike the right balance.

As always, bedrooms are comfortable, spotlessly clean, with plush linen. For those spending a few days and not on business trips, a sea-view room is a must. From here you get beautiful views of the Mediterranean Sea both at sunrise and sunset from your own balcony. Although it is not really a problem, I do miss the Bulgari bathroom amenities, as I find that the quality of the new amenities is not of the same standard.

The quality of the breakfast is a lot better, with a more attractive presentation and even a yoghurt parlour. There is more attention to welcoming guests at the breakfast area, thus making things easier and not so chaotic, like we had experienced a couple of years ago. Service at breakfast was impeccable. Lunctime buffet is also very rich with plenty of choices.

Generally speaking the quality of food and beverage has improved even further. The Amathus has always been popular for fine cuisine, but this time there was more attention to detail and the service even friendlier and warmer. The Limanaki fish tavern is now a revamped restaurant that includes a small lounge area. Its location is so stunning anyone visiting has to have the experience of dining here. Prices are a bit on the high side, but hey, we are talking about very fresh fish and the Amathus service, plus the location is second to none.

The hotel very kindly prepared a cake for my birthday which I found in our room. What a beautiful surprise! Much appreciate this personal touch - but these are the kinds of kind and generous gestures one can find at this establishment.

The spa offers amazing treatments with highly professional services and qualified staff from all corners of the world. A treatment here is a must for anybody who wants to get pampered.

Although it is not a fault of the hotel, the nearby open-air night club that operates until the morning hours (05.00 a.m. on weeknights!) can be a bit of a nuisance, especially is somebody wishes to sleep with the balcony doors open. It is striking that in a residential area a licence to operate a night club with very high volume music can be given so easily. The management of the hotel needs to seriously think about this issue, if Limassol doesn't want to become a clubbers' paradise like Ayia Napa.

All in all, a wonderful experience at the Amathus hotel – definitely to be repeated soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Andreas G, General Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear VistoriaBrussels,
Thank you ever so much for this amazing posting. It’s wonderful reading about your satisfaction.
Needless to say, I was absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us so much, and in particular that our team were able to contribute to such a memorable experience. Our team do genuinely take pride in welcoming guests to our hotel, and ensuring every detail is taken care of. Please be assured that your feedback will be shared with all.
As I always do, I will communicate your comments about our delicious food and our sumptuous breakfast with our Executive Chef and his brigade. I am really very pleased that you liked our renovated Fish Restaurant that is now the talk of the town and the new “crown jewel” of the Amathus.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at the Amathus and offer you once again our “Amathus hospitality”.

Amathus Beach Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

What an incredible place! I was devastated to leave this amazing hotel. The staff are super friendly and helpful, always close by on hand. Food is superb and the rooms are very well done. I could not have asked for more, and sadly I didn't have time to try out the spa.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nndebele13
Andreas G, General Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,
I thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review on your recent visit to the Amathus Beach Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the room and you found the service and food excellent.I am pleased to note that our personnel was helpful and friendly. I have shared your comments with them who were happy to hear your positive comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Amathus in the near future for a longer stay.

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in amathus beach hotel for our annual family holiday several years running many years ago.. Am delighted to read the reviews are still excellent!
The fish restaurant at waters edge was delightful! We enjoyed the private jetty beside the hotels private beach.
Food was always excellent.
Hope to return someday ..

• Stayed July 2014
Andreas G, General Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,
I was so happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Amathus Beach Hotel. I was also delighted to note that we met again your expectations as in your past visits.
I have already shared your comments about our delicious food with our Executive Chef and his brigade. Your kind words will boost their morale even further. The renovated Limanaki Fish Restaurant is our new "jewel", featuring an expanded territory with an ocean-view bar, private beach-front dining tents as well as an upgraded menu with healthy local and international sea food delicacies.

Please do come and stay with us again soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am writing this review as a current guest of the Amathus Limassol - my only disappointment being that we are leaving Wednesday!

I'm writing this review whilst the Mrs is getting ready for dinner hence have all the time in the world so please do excuse me if I ramble on!

We arrived quite late into the night on an evening mid-week and being honest, we were a little sceptical... There was no doorman to help with the cases late evening evening hence we carried our own bags up to the room, there seemed to be only business people in the reception area which was of concern as we were here for a holiday and upon accessing our room, we were quite upset to have been given a land view room when we had specifically paid for a sea view room... We were a little concerned the first night...

HOW WRONG WE WERE!
From the second day onwards, we realised what a fabulous hotel this is.
We were provided an alternative room and an evening meal at one of the restaurants as a goodwill gesture which we didn't even ask for! This really is service at its best... providing a solution before a discussion is even required.

Firstly, whoever manages the service levels throughout the hotel or is in charge of training, you should be extremely proud! I have stayed at a lot of five star hotels around the world and I would go as far as to say for service and staff friendliness, this hotel could be one of the best.
Every member of staff is so attentive... simple things like asking how your stay is or if any help is required goes such a long way and is often forgotten at many resorts. Even the housekeeping staff smile, say hello and do such an excellent job.

We go on holiday to sit by the pool and relax! I am so glad we picked this hotel for this purpose. My only small criticism would be that the pool and gardens are a little bland in appearance... sometimes it's nice to have more of an interesting shaped pool with some scenery, also an outdoor Jacuzzi would be a nice feature to consider for the future. In any case, the pool is warm and a good size and we're getting some great use of it. There is also a large indoor pool with facilities which is a huge plus. Again, following on from my earlier point, the service is excellent... there is ALWAYS someone there to take an order for a drink and the pool attendants are extremely helpful and on hand to help. There are quite a lot of children around the pool area which we don't mind at all... it seems a really family friendly hotel and for those wanting quiet time, there is a separate adults only pool which we never used.

The room is excellent with a balcony looking right over the pool, restaurant and sea which is what a holiday is all about! After spending the first night in a land view room, I would definitely recommend anyone here for a holiday to pay the extra for a sea view room - it's well worth it.
We have a superior sea view room which is really nice... really modern with comfy beds and nice furniture with a balcony. The only things I'd point out are that the selection of English speaking television channels really isn't great and we got two single beds pushed together instead of double - they are extremely comfy though! In the bathroom, it's really modern and there is a rainfall shower which is a really nice feature.

FOOD -
... I love food, I live for food and enjoy quality food!
The food is great... At breakfast, I've never seen such a selection - there is even a chap making fresh yoghurt fruit salads where you choose what you'd like.

At lunch, there is a sandwich / sushi place near the beach or an a la carte / buffet restaurant.
So far we've had the buffets most days as it's quite simply amazing! So much choice of salad and different types of meat and fish for lunch and it's all really quality food. Service is as ever, excellent in the restaurants.

We've so far eaten at the buffet restaurant and fish restaurant for dinner...
The fish restaurant was superb - real quality food with a great selection of wines.
We shared the sea bass and will definitely return one night during the rest of our holiday.
The evening buffet was good... I can not eat all types of food and still didn't really struggle.
Average entertainment... not great but it's still nice for there to be a singer during dinner and it's entertainment as you'd expect at a hotel.
We are hoping to try the meat restaurant towards the end of our stay... It looks excellent so hopefully we will be in for a treat.

I always need to have access to emails and there was a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout the whole hotel and pool areas which was a real plus.

Overall, we've been here for 4 days out of 7 so far and I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel...
I am very fussy and this hotel ticked the majority of the boxes and we are having a great holiday!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a sea view room... we were in 444 which was lovely!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ben-Leeds-UnitedK
Andreas G, General Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you ever so much for this amazing posting!!! It’s so wonderful reading about your satisfaction.
We are truly happy to learn you are having such a great experience with our staff and that you like so much our food. It is rewarding to know our team is fulfilling your expectations.
We, the entire Amathus team, are wishing you to continue enjoying the remaining of your stay.

With kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

After a period of being poorly I was desperately in need of some sun, so I googled 'the hottest place in Europe' and the answer came up Cyprus, which I had never visited before. A few clicks on Expedia and I chose this hotel since it looked so pretty and had facilities which I thought suited a solo traveller. I was delighted with what was in effect a random choice. There was a lot of very hot sun, I felt safe 1oo% of the time and everyone was so friendly and polite. The environment was stunningly beautiful and all the facilities so clean. The food was delicious, fresh and healthy, my only complaint would be that here as in so many places in Europe, people don't get how English people like their breakfast tea

Room Tip: Chose a room overlooking the sea. Lovely to sit on the balcony watching others happily vacationing w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sue c
Andreas G, General Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Ms Sue C,
We were delighted that you chose Amathus for your first visit to Cyprus and to read your fantastic review. We are truly happy to learn you had such a great experience with our staff. It is rewarding to know our team has fulfilled your expectations. As I always do, I have shared your comments about our delicious food with our Executive Chef and his brigade. Also, I have discussed with him the issue of offering a bigger tea variety. I can assure you that on your next visit at the Amathus, you will have to choose from a big selection of teas.
We hope this will be the first of many visits.

With kind regards,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The facilities of this hotel are impeccable and the rooms and food are amazing. We stayed here for a week and enjoyed every moment. The hotel beach is breathtaking, especially during the night if you want to go for a walk or a late night dinner. Loved everything about this place and I will definitely go back as soon as possible.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LexxaV
Andreas G, General Manager at Amathus Beach Hotel Limassol, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you so very much for your kind feedback following your recent stay at the Amathus Beach Hotel.

I am glad that you liked the new rooms and I will pass your kind comments to our Executive Chef and his brigade about our food.

Please do come and stay with us again which I hope is very soon.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 15 nights in Jun and it is a lovely, lovely hotel. Beautiful rooms, comfy beds, gorgeous and spacious bathrooms, extremely helpful and attentative concierge as well as being in a perfect location. The one let down, was the restaurant staff and the length of time it took on each occasion we went for something to eat to get our food. We checked in on Sunday 8th jun and left on Monday 23th jun. From start to end, the stay was brilliant. We had a stunning 'luxury' suite on the 2nd floor Staff were snooty at times, and we left feeling they cared more for the guest who weren't staying at the hotel. We stayed in a Amathunta Suite and although lovely and spacious, I wouldn't call it a suite. Having said that, this hotel is a great find, and we would love to come back soon.
H.R.H Prince Faisal bin Mishari bin abdulaziz Al Saud

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank kreshanx
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice feedback on your recent stay at the Amathus. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the experience and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back during your next visit.