“Holiday at st Raphael”

Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Limassol, Cyprus
“Holiday at st Raphael”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Excellent facilities.very clean.nice swimming pools,two outdoor,one inside and good spa.
Private beach with canoes windsurfing and pedalled available.
Good choice of food.
Local bus number 30 goes into Limassol every fifteen minutes return cost two euros.
Great restaurant in Limassol called noodle house just off the castle square.
Further afield try zygi a small fishing harbour with great local catch.twenty minutes drive towards larnaca.
North of pathos at the Western side of island there is a lachi which is also lovely..

Room Tip: If you have an executive suite then numbers including 578 have a poor view of car park and noise fr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Travels2602
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our resort. We were delighted to read that you found our facilities and choice of food to be up to standard.

We were pleased to read that you found time to experience some of the local areas as well as some further afield West of Paphos.

We look forward to welcoming you to our resort in the near future.

All the best from St Raphael Resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birmingham
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a week in late April. Our room (on the sixth floor) was quite spacious with plenty of wardrobe/drawer space. The beds were comfy, the views of the bay lovely and the room was fully air conditioned. Shower was powerful and the use of a robe and slippers were a nice touch. An ice machine on every floor was even better. The two outdoor swimming pools were lovely with plenty of sun beds on offer. The grounds surrounding the hotel were beautiful and very well kept. The hotel has a very elegant and spacious reception with a spectacular chandelier. The whole of the lobby area has a copious amount of seating and gives off an impressive and airy feel. Housekeeping, concierge, waiters and staff in general were proficient, attentive and conscientious. What really lets this hotel down badly is the food. As a vegetarian guest I was made to feel as though I had not arrived from another country but another planet! The restaurant had not one vegetarian option on offer. I was offered to choose what I would like to eat 24hours in advance (similar to the practices used in hospitals), an omelette and on one occasion a kind waiter offered to pick the bacon bits out of a supposedly broccoli quiche! The General Manager, Mr. Papadopoulos, a kind and considerate man explained the hotel’s 1970’s ‘food policy’. Expanding, he said that “there was simply no demand for non meat meals” including smothering all green salads with offal. Silly me! I thought that a 5 Star hotel’s core business was to satisfy individual wants and needs. If I’d have wanted a ‘demand’ holiday, I would have gone to Butlins! If you like meat, more meat and yet more meat, boiled, stewed or fried (akin to the school canteen variety) then go to this hotel, you will love it. If, your tastes are a little more refined, then steer clear. Would we go back, sadly no.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Brownstown2
straphaelresort, Director of Sales at St Raphael Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Reviewer,

We were very disappointed and upset to read your adverse comments concerning our vegetarian selection on our buffets during your recent stay at our hotel. Following your meeting with the general manager of our hotel Mr. Andreas Gregoriou who introduced you to the hotels Executive Chef, and informed you that our chefs would be more than prepared to provide for you any vegetarian dish you wished. Writing to you as a vegetarian (who also does not eat cheese) I have to state that I strongly disagree with your comments. On a daily basis, each varied buffet offers a selection of fresh vegetables, rice/pasta dish, two fish/seafood options, beans/pulses, potatoes, a wide selection of salad where you can also create your own salad with various greens, tomatoes, pickles, olives and more plus three different dressing and amongst our wide selection of desserts we always offer fruit. We do not consider your case to be unique because our resort caters for many vegetarian guests throughout the year and at no time did we manage to create ' hell ' for them as you so ' eloquently ' put. We also have several periods of the year whereby locals are 'fasting' (effective vegans for over 50 days) and have never received a complaint. We find your statement completely vindictive as the management of the hotel did everything possible to to satisfy your dietary requirements and particular tastes. We are sad that this proved to be to no avail and we frankly cannot feel guilty about this.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to serve you in the future where we might be able to change your opinion.

Wishing you all the very best from Limassol Cyprus.
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This time last year I wrote a rave review about this hotel and I had enjoyed my stay there so much that I immediately rebooked for a 4 week stay this year.
Before leaving home I noticed than a number of other reviewers had reported on building works noise so I contacted both the hotel and the travel agent Mercury Direct asking them if there was still building work going on and if so, could I delay my visit to a later date when all the building work was over. I was advised in writing by both the hotel and the travel agent that there had been building work BUT all the noisy work was complete and it was now just a case of a bit of painting and tidying up. Based on this we continued with our holiday. For at least 24 of the 28 days we were there there was very loud building noise ie. tile cutters, circular saws, banging and hammering etc.
Via Tripadvisor the hotel promised free wifi to anyone giving a review of the hotel. When I asked about my free wifi for the review I had written the hotel said that despite them advertising this offer on Tripadvisor it was only open to people who booked direct with them and not via a travel agent, so I would not get mine free instead I would have to pay Euros 92 per week.
Turning now to the review of the actual hotel :-
The room, whilst dated was a good size and had ample storage space and it was kept clean. On the landing there were kids playing football and dropping items over the rails onto the people in the foyer underneath. There were dozens of children all running wild, playing in the lifts, shouting and screaming and generally making a complete nuisance of themselves often until 11 or 12 o'clock at night. I do realise that children are entitled to go on holiday and enjoy themselves I've had kids myself but, if the parents are unable or unwilling to control their children then this responsibility should fall on the hotel, it's not fair that the majority of guests should suffer.
This time round more so than last year I noticed how old, grubby and mismatched the foyer and lounge furniture was also the marble where the waterfalls are could do with a good limescale treatment.
During the full 4 weeks we were there only 1 outdoor pool was open and only 1 of the 5 dining rooms were open.
The food, which last year I found to be outstanding was this time at best mediocre and lukewarm. They have replaced the soup and cereal bowls with virtually flat plates which had no more depth than a saucer (I kid you not). You were lucky if you got a ladel of soup in the bowl and, by the time you carried this back to your table it was stone cold. Last year there was a fantastic array of deserts with a choice of at least 20 if not more mouthwatering dishes. This time you were faced with such delicacies as jelly, dry cake and ice cream, there was an uninspiring selection of about 6 dishes.
This year with the exception of the 4th week there were very few English guests (unlike last year), the majority were Russian, Eastern European, German and Muslim. Their dress code, with the exception of the Muslims, seemed to consist of shorts, vests, flip flops and biker type clothing. I'm not a snob by any means but come on, this is supposed to be a 5* hotel and I wouldn't have thought shorts were appropriate for dinner.
Friends of ours on the same landing but on the other side reported to reception that their room and the 2 rooms next to them had a cockroach infestation which seemed to come from the service/cleaners room. The receptionist gave them a can of bug spray!!! Not what you would expect from a 5* hotel. thankfully our room was not affected.
In the 4th week of our stay the hotel replaced all the sunloungers around the pool (but not in the garden area) with nice new ones which were very comfy. The gardens were still lovely and well tended.
Sorry St Raphael but I don't appreciate being conned over the free wifi and the noise situation and I don't appreciate loud building noise virtually every day, screaming children being allowed to run wild throughout the hotel, the lack of outdoor pools and dining facilities and the dramatic drop in food standards and selection so I'm afraid I won't be back. If I stay at a 5* hotel and pay 5* prices I expect 5* comfort.

Room Tip: Don't be misled by them promising you a sea view as this only means a side view which has loud r...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Linda B
Dear Reviewer,
First of all let us clarify the 'Free WiFi' special offer on TripAdvisor is only redeemable via our own website. If you click on this offer/banner you will be diverted to our own booking engine. This we believe was quite clear however we apologise for any confusion. I am not sure when you stayed, however at the beginning of April we introduced free wifi in the lobby and the Captain's Bar of the hotel. For high speed business access in all other areas of the hotel, there is still a charge due to the high investment.
Moving on to your other points, we have noted your review and thank you for taking the time to write your honest opinion. Unfortunately, we cannot repremand the children of others although we do try to encourage good behavior. You can imagine however that not all parents are receptive to this and there is really nothing more that we can do as an establishment. We are currently introducing a kids/teenagers play room within Eden Garden where we hope to encourage our younger guests to 'hang out' in the evenings.
Having one of our two large outdoor swimming pools available to guests at at time of year when the resort is not full did seem very reasonable. We had routine maintenance work to carry out on one of the pools, but this was in no way disturbing. We are happy to read that you did like our choice of new sunbeds for this season.
Unfortunately the weather in Cyprus has been unstable this year, and thus we were not able to open our outdoor restaurants and outlets until the end of April/beginning of May. This was the case across the island. You may not have realised however that our award winning Sailor's Rest Lounge Bar Restaurant is open all year from 10am-midnight with excellent food.
We do take all comments very seriously and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again and show you a better experience.
Kind regards,
Surrey
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at the St Raphael Resort for 3 weeks - end March to mid April this year. It was our second visit and indeed, it was as enjoyable as the first so we were not disappointed. In fact, it was even better, since we were really welcomed back and we already knew many of the staff and our way around.

We had an executive room with a superb sea and marina view. These rooms are very spacious and we particularly enjoyed the extra large balcony which had two sunbeds and table and chairs. Since we could make tea and coffee in our room, we spent a lot of time relaxing here and enjoying some quiet privacy as well as the view. We were aware that some in our wing were requesting air-conditioning - however, as an elderly couple, most nights we were pleased for the heating as it was quite cool at night and even on some days when the weather wasn't its best.

We also spent time in the immaculate gardens and enjoyed an occasional stroll along the beachside footpath that begins on the right of the hotel. This was not there last year and, although we didn't venture so far, we understand it reaches as far as the town.

As we were on half board for two weeks we enjoyed the food immensely and found the quality and choice available, for both breakfast and dinner, much better than other Limassol hotels we have stayed in before. Service was always friendly and helpful - as it was throughout the hotel.

Overall, it was a lovely, relaxing stay in very comfortable and clean surroundings. We shall certainly be returning next year and would like to recommend the St Raphael to anyone, really. It is fine for couples of all ages and certainly seems to have a lot to do for families with children. A lovely touch, we thought, was the live bunnies and fluffy chicks that were brought in for Easter and had their own corner in the lobby. L & R. Dobbie

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nicola S
Dear Reviewer,
It was with great pleasure that we read that this was your second visit to out Resort and that you enjoyed your return. It is very endearing to read that you felt at ease and welcome by our staff as we strive to provide the best service at the most affordable prices. We thank you again for your kind review and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the St Raphael Resort in Limassol in the past so decided that we would return this Easter and take our granddaughter with us so we could show her around
Cyprus. Unfortunately due to a family wedding at the hotel we could not have our evening meal in the dining room (Palladium)as it was closed for 2 weeks, this was disappointing as we had to have our meal in the Octagon which is fine for breakfast but not for evening dining. There appeared to be no dress code and people were wondering in with shorts and flip flops and very casually attired not good enough really. Many of my and my granddaughters clothes were left in the wardrobe as we would have felt over dressed had we have worn them in the evening. We upgraded to an executive room which was very nice clean and had a fabulous view of the grounds and the beautiful marina. Service was quick when you had any problems and the reception staff were very friendly and efficient. The food was average, buffet only so it had some advantages if you were a fussy eater. We would seriously consider whether we would stay at the St Raphel Resort again, maybe not. It is definitely not 5 Star as we have stayed in hotels abroad which state 5 Star and they are.

Room Tip: Upgrade to executive room if you can or the higher the room the better the view in the main hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dav id S
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments, they have all been duly noted and passed to the relevant departments concerned. We were pleased to read that you found our executive rooms to your liking. We do hope that you enjoyed the Octagon and would like to point out that this new restaurant has just been opened and that the Palladium was closed for routine maintenance, not only in preparation of the wedding. We do hope we can welcome you back to our resort in the future. Please be in touch with us directly to book your room and we will be happy to assist. Best wishes from Limassol.
London
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed here in April this year with a friend for a wedding in the area and had the most wonderful stay. The hotel caters not only for families (excellent facilities) but for young folks looking for a great break with 5 star service. Nothing was too much trouble and we felt really looked after from the moment we arrived. The hotel has its own award winning beach and marina, and is superbly located at the edge of limassol, 5-10minutes to the tourist area and downtown/ the old town.
As an all inclusive resort ( you can stay half board and B&B only aswell) you are spoilt for choice of dining options and you must try out a cocktail (or 2!) in the Captains Terrace bar whilst enjoying a sunset before heading for dinner in oneof the hotels many restuarants. We were busy with the wedding that week but there is so much to do at the hotel and nearby that you will never be bored, but also if you want to chill - you can hang by the pool, go for one of the great spa treatments (in Serenity Spa) and really relax. Oh they offer chocolate themed treatments too! I would definately recommend a stay here...and plan to go back soon. This sounds a bit silly too - but the lifts are so fast!!! Sometimes in hotels you have to wait forever for the lift to arrive - I give 10/10 for efficient lifts!!

Room Tip: Go for a sea view as there's such a brilliant view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank emmawilson2000
Dear Reviewer,
Firstly we are so very happy that you enjoyed your stay here at our Resort and although you were otherwise occupied for most of the week with your friend’s wedding we are glad you managed to enjoy some of our many amenities and felt well looked after by our staff.
We do hope that you will be returning to us in near future where you can fully take advantage of ALL our facilities.
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back.
GREECE&CYPRUS
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,960 helpful votes
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I spent three nights at St. Raphael a few days ago. It is very impressive as you enter the public areas on the ground floor. I loved the colours, the amazing paintings that are matching with the rest of the décor, and loved the private sitting areas at the lounge decorated with artificial palm trees. The Swarovski Chandelier centre piece is surely very impressive, the two glass elevators and all public areas are very comfortable and cozy.
Before coming here I had read several reviews from guests as I wanted to get a rough idea of what to expect. Of course I found some of the reviews exaggerating and probably because these people are not familiar with travelling or hotels and they really expect miracles to happen. During winter for instance the beach bar restaurants are mostly closed in all hotels. The most exaggerating comment was on the cats. Well, I came to the premises and smiled when I came across 5 or 6 cats in the whole area. By the way the cats here are adorable and guests keep talking to them and feeding them. Guests should also know that during the months of July and August there would be more families coming in along with children. It is up to the parents to discipline their kids and it is not a problem that the hotel has to be blamed of.
Personally I find the location of the hotel excellent. It is near the historic Amathus Area east of the Limassol town centre away from the noisy city and at the same time it is surrounded by a number of restaurants and bars which are located close to the resort. Just a few metres outside the hotel there is a bus that runs every 10 minutes and can take anyone interested to the city centre by just a euro. If you pay 3 euros you can use the same ticket the whole day long for as many rides you wish. Get off at the Old Harbour and turn right to the popular city centre neighbourhoods. When you are back, the bus will drop you a few metres from the hotel on the opposite side of the road. So, why pick a taxi to drive you to the city when you can do it with just a euro? To get to the airport use the Intercity Bus (www.intercity-buses.com) You will be driven to Larnaca with just 3 euros and from the Phinikoudes take a taxi and pay 14 euros to be dropped to the airport. Another alternative is to take the bus that goes directly to the airport and costs 8 euros. Ask at the reception.
The beach area is one of the largest, sandy blue flag accredited beaches in Limassol and it is very popular to both locals and tourists as well.
A guest is welcomed by a fresh orange juice upon arrival and I found the management and most of the reception people very helpful and always on hand to assist with any requests to ensure that the guest’s stay is comfortable. This shows professionalism. However I cannot say the same for the staff I saw in the restaurant at breakfast. Starting from the very top who is supposed to be experienced. I can tell it is obvious that they are unprofessional but I can excuse the youngsters who might have been practising because they seemed very amateur indeed. They have to have some lessons for sure. I had seen a few incidents when the head one would scold youngsters loudly in front of the guests and make them feel embarrassed. I was ready to interfere but decided not to. I have never seen this happening in other hotels.
I had a sea-view suite #303 overlooking the beautiful gardens and the Yacht marina. The highlight of my room was its panoramic view. The room was spacious and spotlessly clean, the marble bathroom was ok, and the towels were bright white and soft. The parquet flooring seemed new and much appreciated. Of course the suite included all the amenities a suite should include, with pieces of furniture in simple lines and style. I met however a couple who were staying in the new wing and indeed the difference is huge out there. Each had a private large balcony and the pieces of furniture were very different to those of the old building.
Breakfast was ample and it had everything one would want. I eat light though so I cannot say much on different things which I try to avoid. For guests who come to eat and enjoy all inclusive here is their paradise. Personally I am on the ala carte but still the dinner buffet was interesting. The Palladium restaurant at theme nights serves a rich buffet menu. There was much and a variety of things to choose from and at least the food that I tasted was ok. There was a variety of desserts and I could see people coming back to refill their plates. It is ridiculous how some people consider food as their priority when they are on holidays!!
Internet is free in the lounge and there are times when it was very fast and times when really slow depending on the demand.
Steffi Umbreit the Spa Manager was very polite and she was the person I would see more. It was too early for me to get to the beach so the Serenity Spa attracted me more than anything else and I was often out there using the indoor pool, the Jacuzzi and Steam room. One of the three days I had the Water jet Massage which I highly recommend. The best moment for me though was the relaxation room where I spent at least one hour every afternoon out there, relaxing and listening to soft and pleasing to the ears Asian Music. The Decleor and Neoderma products are used for the Spa treatments.
I guess people should not get confused when they read that it is a 5* hotel, because it is a fact that it is and it offers a great value for money ONLY to those guests who book on an All inclusive stay. You see, the winning award is on the Cyprus’ Leading All Inclusive Resort that the hotel got the last 4 consecutive years. The rating comes for the (All inclusive state) and this is the reason the hotel has still on the 5* rating. It is not because it is luxurious in all aspects. People who book B/B will surely find it very expensive if they decide to dine here later on and I don’t recommend that you book otherwise unless you want to skip lunch and book H/B.
Have in mind that the All- inclusive packages in summer include a choice of 5 restaurants, 3 bars, wind surfing, canoes, sauna, steam-bath, Jacuzzi, a modern gym, tennis courts, imported alcohol and a few more. People coming here should know that most of the guests are Russian and you can scarcely hear somebody speaking English. A small majority is Germans and even smaller come from other parts of Europe.

Room Tip: Ask for a superios suite in the new building and wing.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank greekcypriot2009
Dear reviewer,
It was with great pleasure that we read your review. We hold all reviews in high esteem whether they are positive or negative and we are truly grateful that as a Top Contributor to Trip Advisor you took the time to address some of the negative comments you came across during your research.
We thank you so much for your positive feedback as well as all the useful information for future guests you included in your review in regard to transport and certain historical attractions which a merely a bus ride away.
We thank you for highlighting the fact that we are for the fourth year running Cyprus’ leading all inclusive Resort and are situated on a Blue Flag accredited beach surrounded by Landscaped Gardens which we attend to with great pride.
Although, in peak seasons we do get a lot of families, there is of course a full animation team to keep them occupied and for those guest’s who have come to relax and wish for quieter surroundings, we offer our executive wing and of course there are many loungers situated systematically throughout the gardens in a perfect tranquil setting.
It would be our honour to welcome you back to St Raphael in the near future. We look forward to seeing you again!