“'Dear Hotel, Thank you, for MUGGING US OFF!!!'”

and 1 more site!
Atlantica Oasis Hotel
Ranked #10 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Hello, me and my boyfriend have been on many holiday's booked with First Choice and have never had an issue with the 4 star rating given to the hotels! However this year due to the fact that we like to eat out and dont get up for breakfast we thought we would try self catering, searching for a good quality appartment was a must, so we thought by choosing a 4 start hotel that offers self catering we would be ok! How wrong were we!!! Looking on the website the Atlantica Oasis looks a very nice hotel, and it is, if you stay in it!! But we got put in a sub hotel, that they like to call the 'Gardens' you think that the hotel would reflect the appartments, no, they are very dated, old covers on the beds, it is an old fashion room, with a bathroom, no living area, no dining area, no sofa, and the kitchen is in the walk way where your wardrobe should be, the bath needed a good clean, the carpets are tatty, it felt dirty, I was not impressed to say the least, the one good thing was the air con, the room was always cool, we booked this at the start of the year, and the price was not cheap!! So we were not happy, we could of understand more if it was cheap, but we paid a 4 start price, and feel we got done over!
I complained at the main hotel, and they wouldnt move us into the main hotel, they gave us a free breakfast for a week to make up for it, but the disapointment was already there! If you are looking at this hotel, please make sure you dont get put in the gardens section, or you have paid for a 4 start and you will get a 2 star! The funny thing was, when leaving on the last day, they have a room you can have a shower for free, you can hire it in 30 mins slots, as we went to have a shower there, I found a note left on the side, must of been from who used the room before us, it said 'Dear Hotel, Thank you for MUGGING us OFF!!!' Well I had to giggle, becuase that just summed it up for me!!
I would only recommend this hotel if you are staying in the hotel, and not in this sub hotel they call the 'Gardens'

2  Thank Beth-Hannah
Write a ReviewReviews (2,261)

Reviewed 14 July 2009

We initally before going had an issue as we were being placed in the 'Gardens', a month of e-mails back and forward resulted in us getting placed in the main hotel - thank god!

We were all inclusive and had a standard room and it was lovely, beds very comfy with a memory foam part attached to the matress. Room was spotless and cleaned, towels changed etc every day. If you would prefer to lie in there is a button in the room which you can press that shows the room as do not distrub. The room had a fridge, television with english channels and air con that kept the room lovely and cool all night long which was needed as most days it was 34 degrees. It also had free wifi which was a bit tempremental and only worked for us in the main lobby.

The staff were more than helpful and food was good and plentiful. Bars were reasonably quiet but waiter service in the ballroom was rather slow. One dissapointment was there was only 1 bar open during the day and 2 at night - one of which is adults only which we couldn't use as our daughter is only 13. So we had only 1 choice the ballroom which was full of much younger kids and families. Result was my daughter was a bit bored as were we, the entertainment wasn't great but the reps tried.

We spent most of our holiday out in a jeep seeing the real Cyprus and really just used the hotel as a base which suited fine. We then spent the night in our room with a nice bottle of cypriot wine (which you can get at the bar and take to your room) and chatting about what we visited that day.

A special thanks to Kris the Thomson rep who left a personal note apologising for the upset we had prior to flying when we were told it would be the Gardens, and between him and the Guest relations officer at the Hotel sorted everything for our arrival which made sure we had a good holiday. Top marks to both of them!

Would I recommend? Yes if you are in the main Hotel and not bothered about nightlife.

2  Thank katrb
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I do not tend to write reviews because I find them contradictory and unclear due to everyone's individual expectations.
I must let each and everyone of you travelling with children know about my experience.
I have a 5 year old daughter with red hair and is still in nursery.
The hotel run kids club signed in and out and was run by English spoken staff so it looked fine but not as good as the Thomson run kids club. This was unavailable to Thomas cook customers although our rep did try for us.
One morning I was asked by another parent, did I hear about the "incident"?
I eventually found out that while the 6 kids and 1 rep were playing in the playground my daughters photograph had been taken by 2 black men, sitting in the park ,near the exit without the reps knowledge. The rep did say he seen 2 men sitting in the park and they were in their 20's but did not know about the photos.
My daughter said they did not speak our language and they smiled and waved her over. The two men pointed for her to sit beside them which my 5 year old did. They took out a camera phone and pointed it at her and she was happy to smile. The other man took his phone out and another photo was taken by the same man. My daughter was so pleased these 2 nice men wanted to take her photo. I know the only reason my daughter is still here is the timing of the "line" made by the children to go back to the club.
The kids club manager later informed me that Cyprus law allows 15 children to 1 adult and that the club were not breaking any rules. In view of what had happened she had got authority to allow 2 reps to run the kids club however she did not say how long for. They did say they would be making changes but to me they were very minor.
To my astonishment 3 days later the kids club were in the same park playing
Hide n Seek and the following day a treasure hunt within the grounds surrounding the hotel. The kids were running off in different directions and there were more than 12 kids.
The Thomas Cook tour operator rep Steve and his manager Margaret were very supportive and took the situation very seriously. They made contact with me every day which I did need but didn't want to show my weakness. I am so thankful for that support now as they were the ONLY support.
However the hotel management did NOT even acknowledge the situation. I had to put what happened into the "incident book" 1 day after it happened. The customer relations desk was maned by a English speaking girl and she assured me the management team, the kids club team and the police would be informed.
I am very angered that no contact of any description was made by the hotel management and their team. The police, well again, who knows, I certainly did not speak to anyone.
Needless to say our daughter did not leave our side for the rest of the duration and that the hotel became like a prison.
This Hotel has a lot of special touches to it but were meaningless when it came to acknowledging a very serious situation.
I just thank God, certainly not the hotel that we came home with 2 children and not
just 1 child.

3  Thank seagull021
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Having just returned from a week at Atlantica Oasis Gardens selfcatering I have to say how impressed I was. Having read the reviews before I went I was a bit apprehensive as to what I would find. The apartment was clean and spacious, the cleaners came every day, we had clean towels every two days and the beds were change twice in a week. I found everyone most friendly and helpful.Although I was selfcatering we were offered a complimentary breakfast each day, which was a pleasant gesture. In all I can definately recommend Atlantica Oasis so please go with an open mind and you will be pleasantly surprised. Cant wait to return soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2009

My comments more or less duplicate the comments already left by others. My wife & I stayed for two weeks, returning on 8th July 2009.

We stayed on the AI basis, and our room was in the main hotel, overlooking the main pool. I agree that if you got placed in the gardens complex across the side road it was a different world.

Our room was on the second floor and was fantastic, it had been completely modernised and had lots of electronic gadgets such as bleepers if the door was not shut properly and a panel to indicate if you wanted the room cleaning, etc. also there was nice blue LED ‘mood’ lights in the room.

The bathroom was a glass walled room, again very nice. The drawback was the bath had no anti slip mat in it, and I ended up on the floor, bringing the shower rail down with me in the process!!

The food was excellent, plenty of choice, we ordered a packed lunch for three days when we had a car on hire, and a nice touch was the lunch was in a hotel cool box.

We also attended the BBQ, Managers Cocktail Party and an al a carte dinner, all part of the AI package, the al a carte was incredible, do not miss it!

Evening entertainment was great if you were into bingo, but we spent our evenings watching DVD’s on the large open air screen. Staff came around with popcorn and ‘nibbles‘ whilst the films were on.

The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble for them, we had stayed at the hotel about six years ago, and we mentioned this upon arrival, on hearing this the receptionist sent fruit and wine to our room for us!

The worst thing about the hotel was unfortunately the behaviour of some of the guests! There was a 50/50 split between Russian and Brits in the hotel, and bad behaviour came from both sides. The Russian guests do not like to queue at the bars or the entrance to the dining room, also the children could be quite ignorant to the staff, I heard “give me cokes now” on several occasions.

Not to be outdone the British let the side down too, we saw a group of 21 British, who took every parasol from the toddlers pool for their own use, and then hardly used them, as they didn’t surface until lunchtime, and then spent most of the day in the pool! We saw parents trying to get parasols back as their kids were exposed to the glaring sun.

We attended a welcome meeting, which was abysmal; it was just a sales session for trips and didn’t give you any relevant info. about the resort, etc. We booked a 4X4 from a local company and saved 30 Euros on the price if we had hired it from the reps.

We did book a VIP catamaran trip from the reps which cost 156 Euros for the two of us, it was billed as being a fantastic trip, in fact it was crap! The catamaran was tiny, with only 12 on board, we sailed across Limassol bay, dropped anchor for two hours, had lunch and sailed back again, some trip!! Steer clear of this at all costs!

Even on the day we left, the hotel looked after you right to the last minute, staff came around with sweets and bottled water whilst we were waiting for our coach back to the airport.

Reviewed 8 July 2009

Firstly I have to agree with the other reviews, The Atlantica Oasis is lovely, The Atlantic Gardens is a dump. Be very careful when booking; make sure you are actually booked into the Oasis, not the 'Complex' or the 'Gardens'. Get it in writing if you can - if you are paying top dollar for a 4 star hotel you do not want to be pushed aside into a 2 star annex.

The Oasis has been very successfully renovated. I stayed here for a weekend in Oct 08 and whilst clean and tidy it was very tired looking and needed a facelift. The facelift took place during winter 08 and has bought the Oasis back up to 4 star standard.

Stayed last weekend (3 Jul), one night in the Oasis, 1 night in the Gardens. The Gardens is horrible and it beggars belief that it costs the same as the Oasis!

To the crux of the matter:

Hotel is great, service good (although reception staff slightly 'slow'), entertainment average (doing their best, but not enough money/thought behind it), food excellent, drinks good (watered down, but that is usual when on AI).

POOLSIDE IS DANGEROUS

Considering we were only here for a weekend, we are aware of 6 accidents - and have been told of others that happened previously.

At the poolside the hotel planners/builders have used gloss tiles. These are lethal when wet. I have been badly injured after falling (collar bone), and we are waiting to see if my daughter will lose her front teeth after her fall - both accidents within 2 hrs of checking in!

A gentleman we met has a badly injured hip after falling by the bar and we watched a small child slip and go headfirst into the pool the day after. 2 more children slipped and fell with vaying degrees of injury. All this in 2 days - and what about the ones we did not see. We are also aware that complaints were made to the hotel manager, but we do not know the outcome.

Ok, children shouldn't be running - but try to explain that to an overexcited 4 year old. My fall was down steps (not running) and the injured gentleman was simply walking away from the bar.

The hotel needs to take responsibility for these accidents and could correct the issue very easily by placing non slip mats around the poolside, bar and pirate ship (the worst offender). It need not cost the earth, but may well save the hotel money in the long run.

Thompson also should take some responsibility, maybe even add an addendum to the brochures recommending pool shoes - and making clear the difference between the Oasis and the Gardens (they do the same thing regarding the Riu in Paphos - it seems to be a long term con and should be addressed)

3  Thank Weekends_Only
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 11 nights and got back on sunday 5th july.
We had a fantastic time and do not understand some bad reviews of this hotel, some people complained the location was bad but this could only be said if you could not be bothered with a light stroll. We did hear some complaints about the gardens which is across the road from the hotel where some people were sent, this has not been updated and refurbed so if you do book this hotel make sure you are in the main hotel.
Other than that we could not fault it, the food was fantastic, plenty of choice the cheffs were always around making sure everything was ok and replaced. One thing that was annoying is that the wine was highly over priced 14 euros but for same bottle in shop just down road 20 meters down was 4 euros, so what we did is go down with a open bottle every evening and drank that one, drinks was a bit pricey as we was half board.
What we realy liked was the outdoor cinema every evening with a nice cold drink, we did not see the entertainment at all all holiday as this was indoors and downstairs. pool area very good and plenty of sun beds. If you do pop out and are half board and fancy lunch i recommend the flocafe just down the road five min walk on the beach front, realy nice salads and it has a nice beach cove, it is a cafe del mar style place with cool chilled music. Anyway good value hotel with 4 star quality .
wine name/ saint pantelaimonte