“Pay for Sea view if possible” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mediterranean Beach Hotel

Ranked #5 of 57 Hotels in Limassol
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Pay for Sea view if possible”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

stayed at this hotel on business for week late April/May 14. We had a room on the 6th floor, but directly above the entrance so it was noisy with traffic and had poor views, but in fairness it was booked on a business offer rate so I got what I paid for. I asked to be moved the next morning, and was shown a room with a side sea view, which was very private and quiet. I moved for a supplement of 15 euros per day as opposed to a 'quoted' 30 euros.
The rooms are good, kept clean and the hotel has a pleasant layout in the reception lobby areas. Breakfast was good, a wide choice of buffet options and it was lovely to eat out on the terrace. The layout around the pool and gardens was superb, subtly broken into different areas. I mainly ate evening meals within walking distance outside the hotel, where there is a wide choice of tavernas offering good quality meals. I had a couple of lunches in the hotel, I.e. sandwiches that fed two people, and the buffet lunch, excellent choices of food.
The hotel is about 6 miles from the old port and Turkish quarter, but the public bus stops regularly outside the hotel and fares are 1 euro.
The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel and local tavernas are very much geared up to cater for the Russian tourist market, which was very much in evidence at this end of Limassol.
My only criticisms of the hotel is the phased wi fi offer, free in reception but charged for room use. This is indicative of hotel's attitude to charging you for everything, I.e room moves, and a late check out can be arranged for a fee, I understand the hotel is a business but you feel they want to squeeze you for any charge. That said, I would recommend this hotel but you really must get a sea view away from main road.

Room Tip: Avoid inland rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hottinroof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Czech first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Have just come back after two weeks at this hotel (Bed and breakfast). I'll start by saying the staff could not be more helpful, the pool area is wonderful, the beach a few steps away, and the breakfast varied and tasty. However there were a few slight issues that may prevent me from going back:
Cyprus experienced a heatwave in June and the aircon in the hotel's general areas (reception, dining room, bars) felt almost non existent at times. I went into the two neighbouring hotels and both of them were on at full blast. When the heat reaches 42 degrees, you expect to "feel" the cool air when you walk into the hotel, however it was mostly hot and humid.
Also the air conditioning in the corridors wasn't on (at all) so after getting ready in the room - the minute you walked out of the door you felt the humidity, and by the time you got outside you were sweating. This just isn't acceptable for a hotel of this quality.
The shower in the room was, at best, a trickle. The maintenance in the hotel were very helpful and attempted to rectify this, but it wasn't up to standard.
The maid service was SLOW. Often the room hadn't been made up at 3pm. So returning to the room during this time was impossible and very frustrating as we would use this time out of the sun to cool down in our room. We asked for the room to be cleaned after 10am and before 1pm, but this didn't always happen, and we found most other residents of the hotel were very irritated with this service.
The other main gripe was the television in the room. I've stayed at many hotels around the World and always take my Android tablet and HDMI cable to plug into the TV so I can watch films/episodes from the UK. However in this hotel this wasn't allowed - the remote control AV/Output switch was disabled, so we were unable to watch anything plugged into HDMI and although we repeatedly asked the hotel to enable this for us, nothing was done. There were no entertainment channels on the TV at all - and the only English speaking channels were BBC News and a couple of other news channels. Very disappointed with this.
So, in a nutshell, we enjoyed our stay and we loved Limassol and will definitely be going back. However, next time I'm not sure I'd pick this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely go for sea view as the city side is very loud and they come to empty the bins every morni...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank abbie b
VKilanis, General Manager at Mediterranean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I thank you for choosing the Mediterranean Beach Hotel and thank you for letting us know of your impressions with regards to your recent holidays.

I am glad to note that you found most of our facilities and services to your entire satisfaction and thank you for you very kind and encouraging comments.
However at the same time I consider as a prime responsibility to express my personal apologies since we have not managed to fully satisfy your needs. Your comments have already been passed to the rest management team for immediate corrective action.
I would like also to clarify your comment concerning the 'slow' maid service. As you may appreciate the hotel is operating with very high occupancies in summer and therefore servicing 292 rooms at the high cleaning standards that we want to maintain is not possible to be achieved within only 3 hours. However upon special requests my team at the housekeeping department tries to do their best so to meet these requirements without compromising on the quality.

Once again we thank you for having taken the time to express these issues in writing and it is our hope that you will eventually give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is great for the value. The service is really a high-level one: genuinely friendly staff, very delicious food, amazing cocktails. If you expect fast service during dinner, you better show up around 7 or 8. We had smth to celebrate our last night and arrived around 9pm. It was difficult even to order a drink coz seemed that all waiters disappeared, even tho we have notified it was supposed to be a special dinner. All dinners were accompanied with life music, however it is a little tiring hearing the same band with the same songs in the unchanging order almost every night.
The territory is well-maintained, probably the only place on the island where you can find grass and trees. The views from the room and hotel premises are just splendid and together with the friendliness of the personnel contributed a great deal to our enjoyment.
As for the activities, there's not much to do around except for the water sports (next beach to the hotel), diving and horse riding.
Overall this hotel is a right choice for relaxation in the hotel premises.

Room Tip: the sea view made it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your review and for your kind words regarding your stay at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you have very much enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything of a high standard.
I would also like to thank you for your positive comments about our team members who provided you with excellent service.
However i have noted also your comments about the dinner service after 21:00hrs and rest assured that already corrective action has been taken.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel for yet another relaxing holiday!

Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Hello Mr Kilanis
It was a great pleasure to meet with you and to express our thanks and appreciation for the Champagne and hand made Chocolates left in our room to mark the occasion of our slightly delayed honeymoon, I work in the hospitality industry in England and that is what we call a GEM (going the extra mile) a really nice touch and so unexpected.

Where do I begin I could write pages about this beautiful 4 star hotel that easily merits being a 5 star hotel.

This is my third visit to this particular Hotel although my second visit was a few years ago and now i remember why I wanted to return with my new husband and we were not disappointed.

On arrival the check in was efficient welcoming and a lovely touch was the welcome tray of a lemon drink, hand towels to freshen up and the lovely hand balm, quite different to any check in I have experienced at any other hotel lovely first impression. The room assigned was on 6th floor although I requested a sea view we were told the hotel was full and it was not possible I was a little disappointed but this did not in any way give me a negative vibe in fact the room allocated 634 was an inland room facing the road but with a lovely view of the sea, although the road is quite noisy the glazing is such that is definately cuts down the noise and caused no problem sleeping, in fact the hotel opposite had weddings going on two nights running so we were entertained free of charge.

The breakfast was truly amazing such a variety and beautifully presented difficult to choose what to eat and the staff were very welcoming and seemed to enjoy what they were doing, we met so many amazing staff and did not encounter any staff member who did not want to smile and help us enjoy our stay. please accept our apologies if I forget your name but all breakfast staff are worthy of a mention.

The Pool areas are exceptionally well maintained and our thanks go to Pool manager and his amazing staff (and yes they do all the checks when you are not there) the Pool manager is one amazing person very interesting to speak with and very friendly he is obviously very well known to your return guests as he goes and welcomes them back! hope you do that when we return he made a lasting impression.

Your Pool bar is great and the service from the staff is brilliant all day long they will serve you and willingly and with a smile.

Your terraces are delightful to sit in and have that early cocktail in happy hour, my thanks go to the friendly bar man who mixed the wonderful Piña Coladas and to Raymond who happily served us practically every night of our stay he is great asset to your hotel he is friendly and chats happily to everyone whilst trying very hard to push more sales.

Your restaurants offer a very varied dining experience Celeste has wonderful themed nights plus lovely background music and has wonderful buffet options and such a selection, Baccus our personal favourite has a wonderful setting overlooking the pools and views of the sea would take a lot of beating from many fine restaurants I have eaten in the food exquisite the service possibly the best I have ever had but not intrusive, your Restaurant Manager and his lovely lady waitress and and an incredible waiter who even had a bottle of Prosecco waiting for us on our second visit deserve mentions again too many names to remember but they know who they are. We took advantage of their three night dine around offer which is well worth doing.

It was lovely to meet your Managers and chat to them and they were genuinely interested in hearing our comments, have to mention that on our departure day the Pool Manager and the Head housekeeper went out of their way to say goodbye to us, truly amazing.

A slightly negative point is Wi if is slow and only available free in certain areas, nowadays it is expected to have free wi fi available in all areas it really is another wow factor as most hotels in Cyprus have the same arrangement,did not bother us as We did not need or want to use the internet as we were on holiday it was comments we heard from other guests and it did mean there were a lot of people including children sitting in the hotel lounge using the internet, but each to their own.

Your Staff are a credit to you and the hotel please convey our thanks to each and everyone of them not forgetting the housekeeping staff who made sure our room was comfortable for making our honeymoon truly memorable.

Having read a lot of the comments on trip advisor about this hotel I have to say most of them are correct please read them as well as ours you will not be disappointed trust me.

There is a saying that once you Visit Cyprus you will return. That's is true but I say
Once you visit the Mediterranean you definately will return
hence we are in the process of rebooking for next year.

See you all again next year cannot wait

Room Tip: Definately try for a Sea View room as the views are stunning cannot wake up to that view at home
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank telmel11
VKilanis, General Manager at Mediterranean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive such a positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of prestigious family of “The Great Hotels of the World”, we continuously strive to exceed your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Holbeach, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have been coming to Cyprus for many years and have always used the Mediterranean Beach hotel as its standards have always been high and the friendliness and excellent service of all the staff has always been of the highest quality. Making new friends and meeting old ones is always guaranteed. The variety at Breakfast is second to non and the service from the bars is excellent. The rooms are very spacious with all modern equipment and you get spectacular views over the coastline if you book sea view. We were at the hotel for a week in May and are returning for our 20th wedding anniversary in Sep for two weeks, can't wait.

Room Tip: If you want to have a spectacular view of the coastline as the sun goes down then book a sea view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mr. & Mrs. Shortland,

Firstly I would like to express our sincere thanks for your valued patronage an loyalty all these years and I would like you to know that this is greatly appreciated by all the Med Team.I was very happy to read your positive feedback and that our quality of services and facilities once again exceeded your expectations. All of the team at the Mediterranean Hotel take great pride in delivering the service that we are famous for.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in September.

High wycombe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We read lots of reviews on this hotel before booking so we had an idea of the quality to expect but you are always a little apprehensive.

The hotel is beautiful, very clean and maintained all the time. We also paid for a sea view and the view was amazing. I am glad we did as we spoke to another couple who had the land view and they were not sleeping too well because of the noise from the road.

The staff are really friendly and helpful and always make an effort for you. We didn't have a tour operator so saw Alexandra at the hotel she couldn't have been more helpful she looked at what we wanted to do listened to what we liked and booked us on some fabulous trips. Troodos and the Northern Turkish side of cyprus are well worth a visit. It was also my husbands birthday whilst we were there and the staff surprised him with chocolates and champagne in our room a lovely touch.

We had bed and breakfast and the breakfast was great there was a good selection. The cocktails are also really tasty and reasonable.

The location is great, bus stop outside the hotel will cost you €1.50 euros and it's the number 30 it will take you all around Limassol and comes every 15 mins. However within walking distance there are lots of restaurants and bars also.

One tip would be there are not that many sun loungers on the beach and a lot of people seem to get up before 7am and reserve the loungers there. We found on our first day coming down at 8.30am meant none were free and all had towels on despite the fact they are often unattended until 10am or later. So the rest of the hol we had to go down early as well to reserve a seat if we wanted to sit on the beach. A lot of people reserve seats by the pool and the beach so they have two areas early on in the morning which is a shame as you see families come down later and not be able to sit on the beach due to this.

Another point to give you is take a strong factor at the moment all weather forecasts will tell you it's is about 30 degrees it's not the whole two weeks we were there having got back yesterday it was 40-45 degrees.

Overall an amazing hotel we loved every minute of staying there and would stay again in a heart beat!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank NessStu
VKilanis, General Manager at Mediterranean Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

We very much appreciate the time you have taken to post your comments on Trip Advisor about the Mediterranean Beach Hotel.

We feel very proud that you have found our facilities, services, food and our staff to your total satisfaction and that we have exceeded your expectations in all areas of our hospitality.

Rest also assured that we have already taken corrective action so to attend the issue with the 'reservation' of the sun-loungers and already the situation has been improved.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and extending to you once again the “Meds Genuine Hospitality”.

N. Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

As you may see from my previous reports, I have been here before so when there are so many other places I could go to and its a long way from Northern Ireland - I have to keep asking myself that question.
You can read the official details about the hotel on its web site. They are all accurate. To save me typing I will also say that most of the details from recent reviews are also mostly correct.
Please read them to qualify my comments below.
It is a safe area - as is most of the Island.
All people - staff in the hotel and local people speak perfect English - no communication problems
Not in the middle of the tourist night-club area - but a bus or taxi ride away if you need.
Great cheap bus service to modern Limassol with shopping mall or historic old town.
I would agree with all comments on the variety and variation of the food. I have never had such a wide ranging breakfast.
Unfortunately the friendly head chef told my wife that to make the perfect porridge, he starts slow-cooking at 3am. - It will not be 'back to porridge' for me.
My only disagreement with some reviewers is that I believe that the hotel are trying hard to give good value in its prices for food and drinks. They will deliver 12 small bottles of drinking water to your room at a cost not much over the local shop prices. The evening buffet can be purchased for the much reduced price of 20.5 euros if you are taking a number of evenings.
i have tried some of the local restaurants. Some are very good, as is most of the food in Cyprus, but you only get what you pay for and the local 15 euro menu may leave you wanting.

Tripadvisor has an number of shortcomings and I hope that perhaps the future versions of Google Glasses will provide the answers.
You cannot see the smiles on the faces of the staff who have tried to get to know you as friends , to meet your every need.
You cannot smell the jasmine at the breakfast patio or the many dishes at the evening buffet.
You cannot hear the the happy noises from the children in the pool or the musical entertainment during the evening.
You cannot taste the fresh juices in the happy-hour cocktails - skillfully made.

Maybe future technology will allow - if not - sample it for yourself.

It is noticeable that the senior Managers are hands on, checking with visitors to see that all is well. All staff are working together to provide you with a great holiday. In fact it is the only hotel where I have been invited to give ideas for improvement and seen them implemented the next day. Would you really miss the hotels where the waiters are dropping plates and arguing with each other in foreign language?
I would be happy to answer any specific questions but in the meantime - I am busy making a return booking for next year.

Room Tip: Sea view is quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bally192
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you ever so much for sharing your excellent experience online; this is highly appreciated by all of us working here at the Mediterranean Beach Hotel.
We are thrilled to read that you spent another wonderful time with us and would like to warmly thank you for your encouraging comments. Our absolute pleasure was also to read that our team members managed to deliver personal care as it’s our goal to provide the highest level of service. Indeed thank you for your kind recognition.
Thank you so much for your great patronage and loyalty and we do hope that we will be welcoming you back soon for yet another memorable stay.